“Great space for families” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Palo Alto, CA
“Great space for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

My family and I enjoyed the added space versus the small hotel rooms at the resort which we have outgrown. My only complaint about the bi-level loft layout is that the person upstairs watching tv does compete with the person in the living room who is also trying to watch tv. My husband and I were constantly yelling back and forth, "Turn it down!"
Aesthetically, the room was dated, but the decor is hardly a top priority for us. Pets are allowed so I'm not sure how clean the place really was under the surface. My daughter complained that the bottom of her feet were itchy so I just made her wear her socks when walking on the carpet. My husband had sinus issues while we were there that magically cleared up by the time we got home so he may have been allergic to something in the carpet.

The daily breakfast was convenient, and the walk to Disneyland took us about 10 minutes. My youngest is 6, so he kept up with his older sisters. The ART shuttle (Anaheim Resort Transit) /Route 7 that takes hotel guests to and from Disneyland was unreliable in the evening between 6:30PM and 7:30PM. My family and I were waiting at the shuttle stop at the park during that time and had the shuttle pass us by on two separate evenings. We were told by a driver from Route 8 that is the time when the driver takes his/her lunch/dinner break. A replacement is supposed to cover the shift, but we found that it did not always work that way. Some hotel guests were furious for having waited an hour. It is supposed to run every 20 minutes, but we experienced every 20 minutes, give or take 5 to 10 minutes, assuming you avoid the time I mentioned above. Also, I recommend you purchase the shuttle pass from the Disney Desk in the lobby because the machine dispenser at the park did not always work.

Overall, the Residence Inn was a great place to stay for our first time outside the resort.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank my_2_cents033

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

We just got back last night from spending 3 nights at this hotel. My husband is the General Manager of a hotel, so we tend to be quite picky about things when traveling. The Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate exceeded our expectations for the type of property it is. I read many reviews prior to choosing this hotel, and thought I'd add my two cents hoping to help others in the future.

When we checked in, I asked for a room in the back, as I wanted to be away from the fire station (which is across the street). We ended up closer to the front, but isolated from any noise from the station or the road. We were in building 24 on the lower floor - in a handicapped accessible studio. Handicapped rooms are a little larger in general. We have two 6 year olds - oops - one turned 7 on Sunday! - and they were a little apprehensive about getting into the shower - since the handicapped accessible shower was part of the bathroom - no step-in or anything - but once they got in, they thought it was cool! The room was very clean and we didn't find anything to "pick apart" like we normally do. Building 24 is right across the way from the Gatehouse, and a short walk to where the shuttle picks up. We really liked the location and were thankful that our room was not by the pool, as there always seemed to be a lot of noise there.

We always wake up early to make it to to the park before opening, and we never had a problem with the breakfast. It's pretty much what you normally get at this level of hotel.

Location - We really liked this location. We arrived on Friday afternoon and thought we'd enjoy walking to the park, so we did. Though it only took us 10 minutes, we were tired from the flight and chose to try out the shuttle on the way back. We had such a nice experience with the shuttle, that we chose to get three day passes and used the shuttle the rest of the time. Although others have complained about the shuttle, we never experienced a problem. Most of the time, we were the only family on the bus, but again, we choose to get to the parks at least 30 minutes before they open. As others have mentioned, the shuttle that picks up on the side of the property is Route 7. We quickly learned however, that Route 17 drops off at a hotel behind the property, and you can take this shuttle and walk through the Residence Inn property through the back. The walk to our unit was about the same distance using either route. Route 17 seemed to always have a bus available when we were wanting to leave the park, and this route was never crowded. This route also takes you by the Cheesecake Factory, which was probably one of our other favorite restaurants on the trip. We have eaten at many Cheesecake Factories, and the portions are huge and consistently good. We stopped here one day for a late lunch (around 1:00 pm), as we needed a break from the crowds. I ordered a lunch-size salad, my husband had a burger, and the kids ate kid's pizza and mac and cheese. My husband was the only one who finished, so we boxed everything up and ordered another kid's pizza, and we had enough for dinner that night! Also, we ordered a bottle of wine - which we did not finish - so they corked it back up and we took it to our hotel. It sure made for a relaxing lunch - and dinner!

This hotel is a great choice if you want convenience. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2009
3 Thank TxBlueEyesTexas
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2009

We stayed 3 nights and basically used it for Disneyland as most people do. The room was great, the staff were excellent and the breakfast (included in our rate) was acceptable.

My issue is that the room description in the web, the photos on the web and the actual room were different. We had two queens in the main bedroom but the floor plan said that one of the was in main room....

The bathroom was TINY but clean and very well kept and had all the appointments a room needs except a kettle!

Worth a look as its walking distance to Disney and Katella Ave for food

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

Just stayed there 1/15-1/19/09.

Got a package deal with AAA to combine the hotel and Disney tickets, so I got a pretty decent deal compared to if I had booked everything separately. And I was able to get a partial week, which I couldn't do on the Marriott website. In terms of value, we got a decent sized room for me, my 8 yr old and my 16 yr old. The kitchen was nice; it had plates, silverware, cooking utensils, pitcher, cookware and a full size frig and freezer, stovetop with oven, microwave and the small table to sit at and munch on things.

We were in unit 813 (bldg 8) near the basketball court and pool area. I asked the front desk when I checked in, if I could have a room that was centrally located towards the front area, because I have a bad leg and wasn't wanting to have to walk any further than necessary to get to places. She put us on the first floor and one bldg from the Gatehouse. Our parking space was available right in front of the room most times, if not about 15 feet over. So this was nice. We did see areas where they're further back and inset from the parking lot. So, if you need to be close to the car, then let them know. I noticed they had a security guard who mostly hung out on our side of the complex, which was OK by me. He was always near our car, so I was happy about that.

The ART stops at Bldg 6, so it was less than about 30 steps from our door. It took awhile for it to come, then it doesn't go straight to the park. It goes around Disney Way, up north to Howard Johnsons then over to Harbor, and south along the park to enter the ART area in front of hte security tables. It's route 7, so its one of the closer stops to the entrance. It's $3 for an adult all day pass, $1 for kids under 9. Same price for one way cash fare getting on the shuttle - so I bought the day pass at the Disney desk and had it for a round trip. well, all in all, it took about 15 min for it to come, which was about 5 min later than the stated time the desk said it would arrive. Then with the drive, we got there about 8 min later. My older daughter (who runs long distance cross country) was upset at me, saying I was lazy - and that we should have walked. We had walked the day before, and it was longer than I thought though, and we crossed up along Harbor, in front of all the hotels, and I was wishing I had booked Best Western or something cuz of the walk. But I had stayed at Camelot before, and thought it would be nicer to have a larger room and nicer breakfast. While I did get that, I did miss being across the street. Next time, if I go for a short stay, I'm going back there. What was worse, was after the long day walking around, my legs and feet were throbbing, and I hadn't gone to the bathroom before we left the park, and I had to go so bad, it was a LONG walk back to the room. Especially with an 8 yr old who was complaining as much as I was. The 16 yr old agreed it seemed further walking back to the room, than earlier in the day getting to the park. (rest and excitement does a lot for your outlook on distance). Oh, since we had free parking at the Mickey & friends parking lot, I thought I'd try it on the 3rd day for comparance. AGH - don't do it. Better to walk and suffer. we ended up almost walking the same distances to get around the lot and waiting for shuttles, then walking from the stop to the entrance of Disneyland. How stupid... I felt like kicking myself in the butt - and couldn't walk back since I had the car in the lot. So, stupid me decided to take the Monorail out to Downtown and get the shuttle right? waited for 3 monorails before I could get on.... then it took us to the Downtown stop which is next to Rainforest Cafe. Good if you're staying at Disneyland Hotel. Not good if you need to get the shuttle. I couldn't find it. I asked a security guard and he said to walk towards the park again - its on the far side closer to the park. Sure didn't seem like it when I got there. He suggested walking straight back to the lot, which is about 1/2 mile. I went to the shuttle... found hundreds of people waiting for it and nearly collapsed. since I had a walking cane, and I was starting to cry.... the Disney tram folks saw me and said to get on the handicap ramp. Turns out the stop is a few feet closer for them - so I hopped on before everyone else. Thank gosh. by the time I got back to the car, it was about 35-40 min from the time we started waiting for the monorail. we could have walked out the park and back to thehotel and been in a warm shower in that time - even with my hobbling along. Worst part is, I couldn't find a taxi to save my life til I got back to the hotel. Must be a traffic control thing at Disney.

Maid service comes later in afternoon, so at least there's no one banging on the door early in the morning like some hotels.

But for those of you who would want to at least be forewarned about the smaller complaints:
We put my 16 yr old on the folding out couch - she said it was thin,she could feel the metal on the bottom side, and figured it'd be better to keep it closed. She ended up sleeping on top of couch instead, but barely fit the other way scrunched up and she's only 5'4". She said it was still more comfortable than rolling it out. Room is not as wide as photo tho, and we had to move the TV out of the way with the coffee table to open the bed up. When its open, there's not much space.

Kids didnt notice it really, but I could hear this low mechanical noise going all night.... in the vents. Sounded like someone snoring loud in the next room and it reverberated through the vent. Since I could hear it going all night and all different times of day, I guess it was some motor or something. Like someone left the fan on their room upstairs all day and night.

I didnt think the room was musty and I have allergies. I'm the first to complain if it stinks or its musty, but it wasn't. room was clean and clear of dust. Rug seems like it could use a good carpet cleaning, but it wasn't overly filthy. they had two closets (good) but when you open the doors of both, they hit each other. There's not much room to pass by if you're in the way getting clothes out of closet and someone needs to go to bathroom.

Showers have nice HOT water, good waterflow. Had no problems taking a shower. I brought my own soap and shampoos, but didn't need to. They had them there if you need it. They don't have shower caps tho, so if you need one, bring it.

Breakfast was good, provided nice variety, and they'd change out the meat every day, and sometimes had pancakes or french toast. Potatos were a hit... girls loved them. We made waffles every day. And they had plenty of cereal and milk and bread products around. If you're coming in at the end, be prepared to eat fast. they start wrapping things up and removing everything about 5 minutes after the closing time and if you walk in at 9:45, you better get everything you want when you first come in. if you eat something and want more, its gone by the time you get up again. breakfast times are diff on weekend - 6:30-9:30 AM on mon-Fri; 7-10AM on weekend. I had to be somewhere on Sunday morning at 7:30, and couldn't get breakfast. If it had started at 6:30, I could have grabbed something to take with me. So I had leftover coupons at the end. waste of a good breakfast.
I brought some oatmeal packets, and oranges/apples with me, so I'd have something to eat that morning.

Gardenwalk - is right next to hotel - BUT, note that you can't walk straight into it. You have to walk up to Disney way, go about a half block, and walk into complex - or down Clementine to Cheesecake Factory (easy enough), walk along Katella a few feet, then into complex for stuff like the movie theatres. cool stuff in there. Johnny rockets is in there - cheapest place to eat I think, and the hot dogs are still over $6 each. Kids shakes are over 3 bucks. Best bargain - $5 for a waffle cone and mix in, at Marble Slab creamery - try the double dark chocolate.....yum. Theatre is expensive, but unique if you're over 21. they have theatres where you can drink and watch a movie. neat concept - they should do it in Vegas!

We waited for 1 hour, 20 minutes on a saturday nite for a table for 6 at Cheesecake Factory starting at 7:20. Phew. That was a long night after a long day at park. We were quoted 45 min to an hour. People take forever to leave.... so avoid that night and time, or grab a menu, take it back to room and eat it.

Hope this helps! Overall, hotel was nice - but I picked it for the proximity to Disneyland. Knowing I could stay closer at a suitable enough place, I'd opt for one of them if you're not a good walker. the only one who held up ok was my 16 yr old.

• Liked — great kitchen and amenities; nice breakfast
  • Disliked — breakfast hours not open early enough; could hear people upstairs running around
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank nancyhi
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2009

we are a family of 5, stayed at the Residence Inn for 3 nights in December, in a 2 bedroom suite. We have stayed at several Residence Inns over time, all wonderful places to stay.

Like other reviewers, this place is quiet, great facilities, staff friendly and helpful and lovely breakfast. Yes, the shuttle bus didnt seem to run to a timetable, so we mainly walked to Disney. If you have elderly or young children be aware these 2 bedroom suites involve stairs.

Be aware that the main bedroom, is a loft room (more stairs) with a bathroom but only a dwarf wall surrounding it. So noise from lower area can be heard, also there is a problem with privacy, if you and your partner want to sit up and talk or watch tv.

it still is a lovely place to stay, but we have stayed several times at the Residence Inn Garden Grove, which I believe is nicer and a ontime shuttle service and a lot cheaper.

• Liked — 2 bedroom selfcontained and full breakfast
  • Disliked — loft bedroom
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank aussietraveller57
Sacramento, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2009

This is our second stay at this hotel. It's a typical Residence Inn. Front desk staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet is plentiful. I would recommend rooms further away from S. Clementine St. While the street is not a busy one, there is a fire station nearby and sirens from the fire trucks can be troublesome.

The only significant problem we have had both stays is the ART shuttle to and from Disneyland. They say the shuttle runs every 20 minutes. We have waited as long as 45 minutes. There is no particular schedule- they just say every 20 minutes, but not at a specific time. After waiting 45 minutes, I asked the driver and he said it runs maybe every 20 or 25 minutes, but longer when they have a change of driver. In any event, we have found the shuttle totally undependable. It is an easy walk to Disneyland, but with two tired children on the way back, walking 10-12 minutes back wasn't appealing. But waiting 45 minutes for the shuttle wasn't either.For this reason only, I doubt we will stay at this hotel again on our next visit to Disneyland.

• Liked — Size of rooms. Free breakfast.
  • Disliked — Shuttle to & from Disneyland
  • Stayed January 2009
4 Thank JIMCHI
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2009

Our family of 2 adults and 2 children stayed at Residence Inn for 3 nights in September. Our suite was satisfactory for our stay but the Residence Inn is looking a little old and tired. Our suite had a lounge and dining area as well as a good sized self-contained kitchen and a separate bedroom. The space was great as we'd been travelling for 2 weeks and were starting to feel a little cramped. We could put the kids to bed at night and stay up and watch t.v. etc. without disturbing their sleep. The hotel was close enough to Disneyland, probably a brisk 15 minute walk (we stayed at the Candy Cane Inn on this trip also and the Candy Cane is closer with an easier walk to Disneyland). They do have a shuttle service but it was not free (The Candy Cane Inn offers a free shuttle bus). The hotel rooms look like they've been renovated at some stage, the carpet looks new and the kitchen looked fairly new also. It just had an old, worn, tired feel to it. It was clean though and there was plenty of free parking. Staff were friendly enough. The breakfast that was included was pretty good. They alternated the menu each day and had more choices than some other hotels. The laundry was handy and our room was quiet. The pool was a little crowded and noisy, but the kids still enjoyed it. They stock basic stuff like milk at reception so you can grab a bottle and bill it to your room. Overall, the Residence Inn is pretty good for the price. If you want space to stretch out and relax a little after a big day out at Disneyland, and the ability to prepare a proper meal, this is a good choice. If you don't care about space and you want somewhere really close to Disneyland, there are closer hotels.

• Liked — Really spacious and breakfast was quite good
  • Disliked — Not as close to Disneyland as some other hotels and the shuttle bus wasn't free
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family