“Great choice for off-Disneyland stay”

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
Ranked #46 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 3 February 2010

My wife and I stayed here for four nights with our 10 and 6-year-old girls. We haven't stayed anywhere else near Disneyland, so we have no real basis for comparison, but we were very happy with this hotel. The only dings I could give it would be nit-picking. Nevertheless, in support of the hotel's pursuit of perfection, here goes (with the hi-lites following):

- Wireless internet was free but a little slow. I did some speed tests and got 58kbps the first night. The next morning it was up to 386kbps. Serviceable, but not awesome.
- The kitchen has all the basic equipment, but only a set of four dishes. We cooked in our room at least once per day to save money and also eat more healthfully and found we had to wash dishes a lot more than we'd prefer on vacation.
- The rooms are a wee bit small. I do yoga daily and didn't have much room for the mat.
- There's a stair light in the loft rooms that can't be turned off. For those who need pitch black to sleep you'll have to cover it up somehow and even then you'll never get pitch black because the loft room is open to the rest of the space.
- We didn't get maid service one day. I don't know if this is because we were in the room when they were going by, or if they forgot, or if they only offer the service every other day. I never checked.
- Exercise room consists of two treadmills and an exercise bike. They need a Precor elliptical without swinging arms to be top notch in my book :-}
- The rest of the issues are structural and can't be changed, but for awareness they include the open loft bedroom (I would have preferred an enclosed room for the parents) and light switches in really odd places

But again these are nitpicking and this hotel represents excellent service, accommodation, and value. They try very very hard to please. The high lights include:

- Disney cast member by the desk daily with tickets (including CityPass) and helpful information.
- Pool was nice and warm, great swimming even though it was only 65 degrees outside. They pipe in music all day, but it was an eclectic mix from old-school soul to alternative rock that we liked.
- Full breakfast ranging from bacon and eggs to pre-cooked oatmeal to yogurt to breads. The food was pretty good. It's a bit of a scene, but what are you going to do? We brought along our own muesli and dipped into the breakfast room to supplement with bacon and eggs once in a while (it's a vacation, right?)
- We didn't walk to Disney, using the ART shuttle instead. The ART pickup is right on hotel property and only two other hotels are on that route, so it's a quick trip to/from Disneyland. I would guess the walk is easy for adults, but not great for tired kids, so the ART shuttle is very handy. As a guess I'd say the walk would be about 15 minutes at a leisurely pace.
- Gardenwalk shopping center with many restaurants (and fewer shops) is a 3 minute walk away if you're into that sort of thing.
- You can watch the Disney fireworks from the hotel property (but not from most rooms). For a better view, you can walk over to Gardenwalk and get a clearer view from on high without traffic driving by. This is a good choice if you have young kids because even if you take a break from Disney mid-day, they'll still be cranky by fireworks time. Better in our opinion to leave the park before the fireworks and miss the bus rush.
- the kid's room was well soundproofed and allowed my wife and I to do our morning routine without waking them.

All in all, a great choice for Disney and we were pleased. If we were to do it again, we'd look harder at the on-property hotels. We chose Residence Inn because it has kitchen suites, which I'm pretty sure the Disney hotels don't. It was also quite a bit cheaper if I recall correctly. Have fun!

3  Thank zinjan
MGrayson_DOS, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2010

Dear zinjan,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments! We're delighted to hear that overall you truly enjoyed your stay...I would like to apologize for the issue you experienced with your wireless. I'm happy to share that we are in the middle of upgrading our wireless network and the project is almost upon completion. Unfortunately, this process is affecting the speed & connection in the buildings that are not being worked on. We take all comments seriously and I have shared your feedback with our staff, so we may find ways to resolve any of the issues you've mentioned and improve our service as well. I've even suggested the Precor Elliptical w/out swinging arms:-) ... personal favorite of mine! Thank you again for your wonderful feedback!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,403)

Reviewed 1 February 2010

This is a perfectly adequate, reasonably priced place to stay near Disneyland. I could walk to the entrance gate of Disneyland in less than 15 minutes, but with our 5-year-old in tow it was much easier to take the shuttle, which comes by the hotel every 20 minutes. I debated between the Howard Johnson and the Residence Inn, but the Residence Inn was cheaper, all the rooms have a full kitchen (some rooms at HoJo don't even have a microwave), and we found out that by the time the same shuttle goes by HoJo, it is sometimes full so that it can't even pick up passengers there. HoJo is closer to the park, though, and has what looks like a more interesting swimming pool complex, but since we were there in December that was not a major issue.

The customer service and buffet breakfast were nothing to write home about. The staff was responsive enough but not very warm and fuzzy. The buffet was mostly highly processed edible foodlike substances, but hey, there was lots of it! The swimming pool was heated.

The studio suite was plenty big for the 3 of us, though I wish there was more separation between the bed and the living area. The kitchen is minimally outfitted, but boy did it help save on food costs. One night we got takeout from PF Chang's at the nearby mall you can walk to, and the rest of the time we prepared our own meals. There doesn't seem to be a grocery store very close by. I wouldn't recommend the Vons to the south, but there is a nice store with a lot of organic products about 4 miles north on Harbor Blvd., called Henry's Farmers Market.

2  Thank ParadoxAndSon
Reviewed 30 January 2010

I love tripadvisor. The room was pretty clean, (my wife found a hair in the bathtub) and the studio suite was perfect for our small family. My 4 year old son slept on the fold out couch and the room was very comfortable. The location was perfect for disney (900 yards away) and the free breakfast was standard american hotel buffet. I would absolutely stay here again for the price.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2010

We had a one bedroom unit which was a good size and well appointed. the location is excellent and close to disneyland. The breakfast is plentiful but unfortuately I considered it rather gross. Buffet with lots of scrambling people gorging themselves on alot of unhealthy food. We stayed three nights but unfortunatley our unit was only serviced twice. It did coincide with very wet weather which could have explained this. The onsite shop was real handy and very reasonably priced.

Reviewed 19 January 2010

Stayed here in mid-December with hubby and 2 kids (12 yrs & 4 yrs). The rooms are decorated in blue and yellow.

We liked the apartment-like feel of this place...and just like an apartment, parking was a bit of a challenge staying in the front buildings of the hotel...esp if you had several luggage pieces and a younger child in tow to lug to your room....there weren't many spaces left if you arrived in the evening..

They originally gave us a room near the noisy freeway (the PARKING was even further away from this room...plus, the room smelled!)...we nicely asked to be moved to a quieter location with more accessible parking..

If you drove your car, it would be cheaper to drive your family and park at DL, instead of taking the shuttle (which there is a fee per person) to Disneyland.

There was an older lady behind the DL counter in the hotel, who was not helpful at all (she didn't listen to WHAT we were asking,, nor did she let us finish our question, before she started blurting out some random information that made no sense...seemed like she was just making an assumption, I guess?)

This place offers a complimentary breakfast buffet, which offerings included eggs, breakfast meat, oatmeal, cereal, juices, waffles, toasted bagels or toast, fruit, coffee, etc. There are some evenings where they offer a light snack like chips/salsa and veggies--check your room for the schedule. It was on the table with the sugar packets.

We also liked the kitchen--we brought bottled water and other beverages from home to keep chilled in the fridge to take to DL. There was a complimentary pack of microwave popcorn in the room--a nice touch. There is a Target a few blocks south of the hotel on Harbor (driving distance) if you need snacks, beverages, or other items. We bought a bucket of chicken from Mrs. Knott's Chicken Restaurant and enjoyed it in the room, froze the leftover chicken to keep fresh on the ride home the following day.

The Garden Walk is right across the street if you want to see a movie or eat at places like California Pizza Kitchen or PF Changs...or visit the Body Shop for lotions, etc.

The bathroom is very tiny and the beds are very hard--it was like sleeping on a dining room table.

They have complimentary wi-fi, but it was very slow (and my internet card was NOT working for whatever reason, so I just gave up trying).

This is one of the fewer hotels in the DL area that can accommodate a larger group, offers FREE breakfast, and FREE parking.. I would recommend this place to a friend because of these things, but this place wouldn't be my 1st choice of places to stay for future visits to Anaheim.

1  Thank azroxie
Reviewed 15 January 2010

This was our first trip as a family of 6 with 4 children aged 7, 5, 4 and 2.5 years old so we were a little worried and had never stayed at a residence Inn before. We need not have worried at all. This place has it all! The location was easy to find as we had booked a hire car the LAX airport. Check in took less than 2 minutes which was perfect was we had been travelling for the best part of the day. The suite was large enough to accomodate all including the luggage and had desks for the kids to draw and colour. The kitchenette had all the things needed and the hotel even did a complimentary shopping service to get all the food etc you needed. Next to the front desk was a small shop for emergency food and stuff which came in handy when the little on developed a fever and we needed some tylenol. The room had comlimentary internet access so we could plan our other sightseeing activities as well as checking emails.
Breakfast had it all including healthy cereals which the kids didnt touch and there was some variety over our 5 day stay. One day having mexican food. It also had a Disney desk where you could buy tickets and get really helpful information. When the kids washing became too much- they had on site laundry for minimal change to wash and dry the clothes. The pool was heated which the kids loved. The location was great and walking distance to Disney. You could even see the fireworks from the hotel. Eating places were also walking distances. The local Walmart/ Target was within a few minutes drive on I5 north which had Disney stuff at half the price and push chairs less than the daily hire rate for Disney.
For our family- this place had it all and I highly recommend it to all especially those with big familys and young kids

3  Thank awesome4some
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I stay at many residence inns and this one ranks highly for the following reasons:

Well Managed