My wife and I stayed here for four nights with our 10 and 6-year-old girls. We haven't stayed anywhere else near Disneyland, so we have no real basis for comparison, but we were very happy with this hotel. The only dings I could give it would be nit-picking. Nevertheless, in support of the hotel's pursuit of perfection, here goes (with the hi-lites following):
- Wireless internet was free but a little slow. I did some speed tests and got 58kbps the first night. The next morning it was up to 386kbps. Serviceable, but not awesome.
- The kitchen has all the basic equipment, but only a set of four dishes. We cooked in our room at least once per day to save money and also eat more healthfully and found we had to wash dishes a lot more than we'd prefer on vacation.
- The rooms are a wee bit small. I do yoga daily and didn't have much room for the mat.
- There's a stair light in the loft rooms that can't be turned off. For those who need pitch black to sleep you'll have to cover it up somehow and even then you'll never get pitch black because the loft room is open to the rest of the space.
- We didn't get maid service one day. I don't know if this is because we were in the room when they were going by, or if they forgot, or if they only offer the service every other day. I never checked.
- Exercise room consists of two treadmills and an exercise bike. They need a Precor elliptical without swinging arms to be top notch in my book :-}
- The rest of the issues are structural and can't be changed, but for awareness they include the open loft bedroom (I would have preferred an enclosed room for the parents) and light switches in really odd places
But again these are nitpicking and this hotel represents excellent service, accommodation, and value. They try very very hard to please. The high lights include:
- Disney cast member by the desk daily with tickets (including CityPass) and helpful information.
- Pool was nice and warm, great swimming even though it was only 65 degrees outside. They pipe in music all day, but it was an eclectic mix from old-school soul to alternative rock that we liked.
- Full breakfast ranging from bacon and eggs to pre-cooked oatmeal to yogurt to breads. The food was pretty good. It's a bit of a scene, but what are you going to do? We brought along our own muesli and dipped into the breakfast room to supplement with bacon and eggs once in a while (it's a vacation, right?)
- We didn't walk to Disney, using the ART shuttle instead. The ART pickup is right on hotel property and only two other hotels are on that route, so it's a quick trip to/from Disneyland. I would guess the walk is easy for adults, but not great for tired kids, so the ART shuttle is very handy. As a guess I'd say the walk would be about 15 minutes at a leisurely pace.
- Gardenwalk shopping center with many restaurants (and fewer shops) is a 3 minute walk away if you're into that sort of thing.
- You can watch the Disney fireworks from the hotel property (but not from most rooms). For a better view, you can walk over to Gardenwalk and get a clearer view from on high without traffic driving by. This is a good choice if you have young kids because even if you take a break from Disney mid-day, they'll still be cranky by fireworks time. Better in our opinion to leave the park before the fireworks and miss the bus rush.
- the kid's room was well soundproofed and allowed my wife and I to do our morning routine without waking them.
All in all, a great choice for Disney and we were pleased. If we were to do it again, we'd look harder at the on-property hotels. We chose Residence Inn because it has kitchen suites, which I'm pretty sure the Disney hotels don't. It was also quite a bit cheaper if I recall correctly. Have fun!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A very unique all suite condo style hotel located 1/2 mile from Disneyland. All suites have fully equipped kitchens & full size pull out sofa sleepers. We offer suites that can accommodate up to 8 people. We offer the following free amenities: breakfast, grocery shopping services, complimentary parking, wireless internet, business center usage, and more. Our guests have access to purchasing Disneyland park tickets through our on property Disney Desk. On property fire pit & BBQ Grills available for guest use. Pet Friendly ($100 non refundable pet fee for up to 2 pets per room). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Marriott, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate Hotel Anaheim
- Anaheim Residence Inn
- Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate California