“Update regarding incidentals”

Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
oakland, ca
“Update regarding incidentals”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2010

Since I have an upcoming reservation and have read a few horror stories about incidental charges, I decided to call. I just spoke to Dave, who told me the amount they charge on your card for incidentals when you check in depends on the type of room you reserve and length of stay. In my case, for a studio queen for 2 nights, I was told they will only charge $20/night. If this is a major concern for you, I would call ahead so you know what to expect.

Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
MGrayson_DOS, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 19 March 2010
Dear bayarea510,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write an informative review! We’re looking forward to your stay here with us in Anaheim as well! The information you shared regarding “incidental charges” was great! Thank you as this provides me an opportunity to add, in more detail, to what was explained to you on behalf of my hotel specifically:

Our hotel places a PREAUTHORIZATION/ HOLD (ranging from $50-$90 which is based on the length of stay) for incidentals on the credit card of choice provided by the guest upon check-in. This is not an actual “charge”. Upon check-out, if the Guest has not incurred any incidental charges during their stay (telephone/ movies/ food etc.) the PREAUTHORIZATION/ HOLD that was placed on the card provided will then be released that same day of check-out by our hotel. The type of card that is provided by the guest (debit or credit) can affect the time frame of when the hold is released to when those funds are then again available by the bank. For those Guests that applied a “debit” card towards the authorization of their incidentals, please know that it can take anywhere from 3 – 5 days for the bank to release the authorization/ hold from their system. I would like to reiterate that we actually release the authorization/ hold from the hotel’s system as soon as the Guest checks out. There is some delay on the banks behalf. If a Guest applies an actual CREDIT card (not debit card) towards their incidentals the delay time is much shorter, only 24 -48 hours, from the time we release the hold here on property to the time the bank actually releases the funds back into the Guest’s account. As debit cards are often tied to an actual checking accounts & cash funds versus credit on a credit card…this can pose a financial issue until the hold is released.

As always… thank you for allowing me to further explain! Safe travels and we’ll see you soon here in Anaheim!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

If you want to have the comforts of home while visiting Anaheim, this is the place for you! We had a room with a king bed and full bath in the loft, downstairs was a separate room with a twin over full bunk with full bath, and a sofa sleeper in the living area which had a fireplace, too. Our kids are picky eaters so having the kitchen made everyone happy! The staff was very nice, housekeeping was done daily, and the huge buffet breakfast puts other hotel breakfasts to shame. We walked to Disneyland (about 1/2 mile) but there was also a shuttle (Anaheim Resort Transit--minimal cost per person per day) that came by about every 20 minutes with a stop on the hotel property. There's a small playground for young children, large laundry room, tennis/basketball court with equipment available at the front desk, a market on site, heated swimming pool/jacuzzi and in-room internet service which worked great. I can't imagine staying anywhere but the Residence Inn Maingate when visiting Anaheim! Thanks to everyone at the Residence Inn for making us feel like we were at home!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Live4More
MGrayson_DOS, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 11 March 2010
Dear LuckyLego,
Upon reading your review we were so excited to hear you had such a great time staying in one of our roomy Kid's Suites! First off, thank you so much for taking the time to share what you and your family experienced while here at the Residence Inn Anaheim - Maingate! Our goal is to have our guests experience just what you experienced...that "home away from home" feeling. Hopefully with your "picky eaters" you were able to take advantage of our free grocery shopping services... if not, be sure to utilize that next time around! Again, thank you for the wonderful review... We look forward to seeing you again and welcoming you "home" the next time you're in town!
Have a fantastic day!
Meridian, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2010

Had a great time at Disneyland. The shuttle picked us up right outside the hotel, which using the free consierge service, we came home to not only free appitizers in the hotel, but they also did shopping for us at the local grocery store with no additonal surcharge. I would highly reccomend them, and gladly stay there again!

Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank doubtfultom
MGrayson_DOS, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 8 March 2010
Dear Doubtfultom,
We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at The Residence Inn Anaheim - Maingate! It was nice to hear that your family was able to enjoy our evening social hour w/ light menu in addition to the FREE grocery shopping service we provide to our guests... It truly can help save our famlies a significant amount of money while on vacation! We hope to see you & your family again on your next visit to Anaheim, CA!!
Thank you for sharing your experience and we wish you all the best!
Sunnyvale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

When checking into the Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, the desk clerk asked us if we were there for any special occasion. I let her know we were there for my son's 9th birthday. We checked into our very clean and well appointed room, and went over to Disneyland for the evening. When we returned, my son found that the staff had left him a birthday cake. A full sized birthday cake with a card. He was thrilled, and getting this cake was probably one of the high points of his trip. He tells everyone about it.

The breakfast is good, as is the Wednesday evening BBQ, very hearty and can be used as dinner which saves you $$$!

The beds are a bit hard, which was my only gripe.

When I returned from our trip, I realized I had left a sweater hanging in the closet. I called the hotel, they located the sweater and had it at my front door in less than a week. The service at this hotel is very, very, impressive. I will be back, without a doubt. They did a great job!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
MGrayson_DOS, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 2 March 2010
amybbb73,
We are absolutely thrilled that you had such a great stay! Birthdays are a big deal around here and we're so happy you chose us to be a part of your celebration...we are looking forward to your next visit with us!
"Suite" Regards,
Misty Grayson, Director of Sales
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

My family (me, wife, 4 year-old daughter) stayed here 2/14/10 - 2/17/10 during our visit to Disney Land (and Lego-Land). We had a great time and a great stay at this hotel. It's about a 15 minute walk to the park or quick $6 cab ride. You can also use the Disney shuttles of course but we never did. I wanted a place that had enough room for us to spread out a bit during the times we were not at the park - having separate sleeping and sitting rooms was ideal with a child. We didn't use the full kitchen much but it was nice to have for the time or 2 we were in our room during meal time and didn't feel like eating out once again.
The "market" by the front desk had enough goodies/basics to get us thru our stay w/o running to a grocery - we just bought some snacks, mac n' cheese, PB&J, etc.
We really enjoyed the free breakfast buffet as well - now it can get crowded and kind of crazy, but there is a good selection of food and drink there. I figure the free breakfast & free parking saved me over $40/day. Throw in the free wifi and it was really a bargain. A good deal of space and the free perks for well under $200/night.
The only complaint we have is that one of the queen beds did sag to the middle and wasn't as comfortable as the other. But we let our daughter sleep in that one and she was too small and tired to feel any difference.
Service was great, rooms were clean. The front desk was helpful - we were allowed to keep our car in their lot all day after we checked out that morning for our last day at Disney. (After our checkout, they also held my leftover beer in one of their fridges so it would be cold for me at our next hotel on our vacation)
There is also a Disney Desk by the hotel front desk.

1 Thank Dustbow
MGrayson_DOS, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 3 March 2010
Dustbow,
Thank you for sharing your experience! We're so happy to know you enjoyed your time here with us at The Residence Inn Anaheim - Maingate! On behalf of my team, we love to hear that our guests have taken full advantage of all the wonderful amenities available to them during their stay... especially those visiting w/ families. I'd love to suggest utilizing our complimentary grocery shopping services next time around! We hope to see you & your family again very soon for your next stay in Anaheim! Best Wishes!
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

We've now stayed in this hotel twice to visit Disneyland and it was great both times. The rooms are very quiet. We never heard any noise at all, and I am a light sleeper. We had a mini-kitchen that was very convenient. The pool was clean and quite warm, and it gets sun all day. The breakfast has improved since 2008, and it includes make your own waffles, pancakes, ham or bacon, scrambled eggs, toast, English muffins, cereal, yogurt, fruit and granola. The staff were very friendly and responsive. The walk to Disney takes about 10 minutes.

The only complaint is that it advertises free wireless internet in the rooms, and we could not get a signal in our room. We had to go to the lobby to use our laptop with internet.

2 Thank BeachObsessed73
Dear BeachObsessed73,
We read your review and want to thank you for being a repeat guest! We're so happy to know that you've enjoyed your time here yet again! We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we get. On behalf of my staff, I do apologize for the difficulty you experienced with the wireless internet access in your suite. I'm happy to share that we are currently in the process of upgrading our wireless internet access in all of our buildings and are almost upon completion. Again, thank you for your comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our service. We hope to see you again very soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

My wife and I stayed here for four nights with our 10 and 6-year-old girls. We haven't stayed anywhere else near Disneyland, so we have no real basis for comparison, but we were very happy with this hotel. The only dings I could give it would be nit-picking. Nevertheless, in support of the hotel's pursuit of perfection, here goes (with the hi-lites following):

- Wireless internet was free but a little slow. I did some speed tests and got 58kbps the first night. The next morning it was up to 386kbps. Serviceable, but not awesome.
- The kitchen has all the basic equipment, but only a set of four dishes. We cooked in our room at least once per day to save money and also eat more healthfully and found we had to wash dishes a lot more than we'd prefer on vacation.
- The rooms are a wee bit small. I do yoga daily and didn't have much room for the mat.
- There's a stair light in the loft rooms that can't be turned off. For those who need pitch black to sleep you'll have to cover it up somehow and even then you'll never get pitch black because the loft room is open to the rest of the space.
- We didn't get maid service one day. I don't know if this is because we were in the room when they were going by, or if they forgot, or if they only offer the service every other day. I never checked.
- Exercise room consists of two treadmills and an exercise bike. They need a Precor elliptical without swinging arms to be top notch in my book :-}
- The rest of the issues are structural and can't be changed, but for awareness they include the open loft bedroom (I would have preferred an enclosed room for the parents) and light switches in really odd places

But again these are nitpicking and this hotel represents excellent service, accommodation, and value. They try very very hard to please. The high lights include:

- Disney cast member by the desk daily with tickets (including CityPass) and helpful information.
- Pool was nice and warm, great swimming even though it was only 65 degrees outside. They pipe in music all day, but it was an eclectic mix from old-school soul to alternative rock that we liked.
- Full breakfast ranging from bacon and eggs to pre-cooked oatmeal to yogurt to breads. The food was pretty good. It's a bit of a scene, but what are you going to do? We brought along our own muesli and dipped into the breakfast room to supplement with bacon and eggs once in a while (it's a vacation, right?)
- We didn't walk to Disney, using the ART shuttle instead. The ART pickup is right on hotel property and only two other hotels are on that route, so it's a quick trip to/from Disneyland. I would guess the walk is easy for adults, but not great for tired kids, so the ART shuttle is very handy. As a guess I'd say the walk would be about 15 minutes at a leisurely pace.
- Gardenwalk shopping center with many restaurants (and fewer shops) is a 3 minute walk away if you're into that sort of thing.
- You can watch the Disney fireworks from the hotel property (but not from most rooms). For a better view, you can walk over to Gardenwalk and get a clearer view from on high without traffic driving by. This is a good choice if you have young kids because even if you take a break from Disney mid-day, they'll still be cranky by fireworks time. Better in our opinion to leave the park before the fireworks and miss the bus rush.
- the kid's room was well soundproofed and allowed my wife and I to do our morning routine without waking them.

All in all, a great choice for Disney and we were pleased. If we were to do it again, we'd look harder at the on-property hotels. We chose Residence Inn because it has kitchen suites, which I'm pretty sure the Disney hotels don't. It was also quite a bit cheaper if I recall correctly. Have fun!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank zinjan
Dear zinjan,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments! We're delighted to hear that overall you truly enjoyed your stay...I would like to apologize for the issue you experienced with your wireless. I'm happy to share that we are in the middle of upgrading our wireless network and the project is almost upon completion. Unfortunately, this process is affecting the speed & connection in the buildings that are not being worked on. We take all comments seriously and I have shared your feedback with our staff, so we may find ways to resolve any of the issues you've mentioned and improve our service as well. I've even suggested the Precor Elliptical w/out swinging arms:-) ... personal favorite of mine! Thank you again for your wonderful feedback!