“Infested With Roaches!!”

Ranked #92 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Escondido, California
“Infested With Roaches!!”
Reviewed 18 June 2005

To be fair, we did not pay for this stay at the Budget Value Inn in Anaheim. We actually used a free "vacation certificate" that we received after going to a timeshare presentation. The company that issued the hotel stay was Casablanca Express. They had offered me an option to upgrade to a better hotel for extra money, but we figured we could rough it a couple of nights while we visited Disneyland so we declined and stuck with the free stay. The hotel is actually located a couple of blocks from Knott's Berry Farm and a 10 minute drive from Disneyland.

When I checked in, I knew I really WAS roughing it. I saw a bug skit across the bathroom floor when I turned the light on, so I decided we'd leave the bathroom light on all night "just in case" and I put my luggage up on the coffee table. I was a little worried.

The place was really grungy - it was dirty and the walls had holes all over along wtiht he dirt and grime on them, but it did have a fridge, microwave, and tv with lots of stations, including HBO, I think. Of course, then I realized that all of those smashed bugs in the door of the fridge were roaches and one ran around IN the refrigerator while I was putting drinks in there. It was freaking me out. I tried not to touch much and put one of our own blankets on the top of the bed so I wouldn't have to touch the bedspread.

I actually did sleep even though I was freaking out worried about bugs and the people sleeping in the room next to us, thought sleeping with the tv on LOUD all night... yes ALL night, until we left in the morning... was a good idea. I woke up ready to get the heck out of there.

When we returned that night after a long day at Disneyland, my husband went right to the bathroom and flipped the light.... yup, you got it... there were about TEN roaches running around! And outside of the bathroom, too. The worst came when I pulled the blankets down on the bed and a roach was IN THE BED!!!

My husband called the front desk freaking out and they offered us another room. I explained that another room would still be in the same property, but we went and had a look and the room was MUCH better. It looked cleaner overall. There weren't holes in the walls and no bugs ran anywhere when the lights went on. We looked everywhere and it seemed okay so we stayed, but I was freaked out the whole time.

Believe it or not, I stayed in one that was worse in Winslow Arizona, once, but I was never so happy to leave a motel in my life as I was when we left yesterday. I am reporting this motel to the companies that sent us there as well as the Orange County Health Dept. The first room was so infested with roaches that they were even in the refrigerator... that's bad. While we didn't see any in the second, roaches are likely throughout the entire property. I cannot recommend that you stay here unless you don't mind sleeping with bugs. It was disgusting.

• Stayed June 2005
18 Thank ladyjadegd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, England
Reviewed 8 April 2005

Good facilities for a large family. Extremely helpful staff. However, quite a distance to Disneyland & poor transport links. Expect to pay $8 taxi fare each way or wait a long time for buses.

4 Thank CatlondonUS
Alameda, California
Reviewed 23 January 2005

There were cigarette burns in the blankets, and sheets (in our non-smoking room). Sticky bathroom floors, black mold around the bathtub, and peeling paint in the bathroom. As mentioned in another review no lightbulbs (one of three lightbulbs worked in the main room). The breakfast consists of coffee and prewrapped pastries that you buy in the grocery store and no place to sit and eat. We also did not have enough towels. It doesn't look like they vacummed because a whole oreo cookie was found on the floor. Just disgusting! Worth the extra money to go elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2005
10 Thank pipsqueak_8
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 August 2004

We were told this was comparable to a Howard Johnson's but it definitely did not compare.
Having stayed in a variety of places (overseas and in U.S.), staying everywhere from being hikers/no-tent campers to guests in 5-star hotels, and everything in between, this place was simply filthy and rundown.
After check-in & visiting the room, we had to ask for all of our towels, the bathroom counters were left with hair and spots of something sticky on them, the rug had not been vacuumed, the entertainment center had a broken drawer front laying half on the floor, bathroom fixtures that had been broken and badly "repaired", one very small shampoo foil packet for two people to use, we even had to ask for two lightbulbs as there were none in the lamps!
We have never stayed in such a poorly maintained and dirty establishment and cannot recommend this location to anyone.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 November 2003

This hotel is a great value for the money. You get a real studio apartment with full kitchen and bath, and a small living area with fold-out couch and fireplace (the bed is at back of room), for a really nice price. Light breakfast and dinner are complimentary. You can park your car right outside but the feel of the place is more like an apartment complex than a hotel. I often stay in big hotels but in Anaheim this is one of my favorite places to stay because you can really settle in here and relax. Room is not luxurious but comfortable.
Cleaning staff very good. Only improvement would be more pillows and towels.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anaheim
Americas Best Value Inn-Azusa/Pasadena
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#89 of 118 in Anaheim
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites -  LAX / El Segundo

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!