“Magical Stay”
Review of Disneyland Hotel

Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I recently stayed here for a weekend trip to Disneyland. The recent renovations to this hotel are stunning. The rooms are immaculate and the beds are oh so comfortable. The room is modern yet has very beautiful Disney touches. From the fixtures to the bedding all the way to the magical headboard. You are surrounded by Disney and it really gets you in the spirit for your trip. We had to visit the hottest weekend of the year so the pools were a hot ticket item. There are 3 water slides and 2 pools for everyone's enjoyment. Even though it was crowded, we had plenty of space to lounge and swim.

We were placed in the Frontier tower which is the furthest tower but just as lovely. We didn't mind the walk and it only added a total of maybe a minute or so to reach Downtown Disney. When visiting Disneyland, we always hopped on the monorail and never had to wait. This puts you in the center of the park and ready to start your day. When going to California Adventure park, we always used the entrance located inside of Disney's Grand Californian hotel. This was really convenient when using the early entry. We skipped the line at the front entrance and got in a lot quicker. Be sure to bring your hotel key when using this entrance. They have been cracking down lately and really check your hotel dates to make sure you are truly a hotel guest.

All in all, I would definitely come back to this hotel. It was so relaxing to stay on property and not have to worry about shuttle times or delays. It was like we never left the magic. If it is in the budget, I would stay here again and again.

I have stayed at Paradise Pier and the Grand Californian. Paradise pier has an amazing view of California Adventure, but the elevators are slow and the amenities lacking when comparing the three properties. The Grand Californian is the closest and the most luxurious but does not have as many Disney touches. If you are looking for a modern hotel with traditional Disney elegance and style, this is your place!

Room Tip: Always ask for a resort view or a pool view. They will usually grant this if they are available.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DisneyBride09
There are newer reviews for Disneyland Hotel

Reviewed 17 September 2012

This was our third visit to Disneyland in California. We have stayed off property the other two times, but this time we wanted to be close to where my husband would be starting and ending the Half Marathon.

We were given a room in the Frontier building, which was a longer walk than I was expecting. I would say if you are booking to be close the parks, then Grand Californian is much closer, although at a higher price tag. The Frontier building is actually further to walk to than Paradise Pier.

The room was really beautiful and my kids loved the fireworks and song on the headboard. The beds are incredibly comfortable and we all really slept well every night. Rooms were always cleaned really well, although late in the day. Often when I would bring my daughter back for her nap they still hadn't cleaned the room.

We did enjoy the early entry as Cars Land is included in this early entry time and it is worth paying for the hotel just to get onto those rides faster. Also we were able to ride all of the classic rides in Fantasyland and the Tomorrowland rides on separate days, before the park opened to the public.

I would like to try Paradise Pier and Grand Californian so I can compare all three properties.

Room Tip: We booked with Air Canada vacations and arrived at midnight and were given a room in the Frontier bu...
3  Thank JamieMarieB
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I was very surprised and disappointed by our last experience with the Disneyland hotel, especially after staying there numerous times before. We have taken a break from purchasing the Annual Passports for the last couple of years because they keep raising the prices and now they are insanely expensive. Our oldest child will be leaving for college next year so we decided to suck it up and buy them this year.

At check in we were told our room wasn't ready and were given the keys and pin number to call in and check on the room. Check in is listed as 3:00 but our room wasn't available until 4:00,which is upsetting when you're staying only one night and can't get in the room at the promised time.

While waiting for the room I went to the Trader Sams bar to see the menu and tried to ask how much the cocktails were since the menu doesn't list prices. The bartender was rude and told me he'd help me in a minute, but never did. The question would've taken one second to answer, and if you don't want staff to have to interact with customers, then you should list the prices on the menu and avoid the whole thing.

Our room was nice when we were finally checked in. I prefer the Disneyland Hotel because the rooms are much larger than Grand Californian. We didn't get any turn down service or little Disney chocolates on the pillows like we did in all our previous visits though. They also charge guests at the hotel 15 dollars for self parking when it used to be free.

We ate dinner at Storytellers Cafe which is usually our favorite but all the staff were not very happy. While making small talk on the way to the table I commented that the hostess must be happy to have a job inside where it was cool because it was over a 100 degrees that day. She said that her job had other downsides to it, which is crazy unprofessional. The waiter never smiled and was so short in all his interactions and responses. At the end of the meal my daughter commented that every staff member looked like they were depressed. Not the typical
excellent Disney service.

After adding up all the little things- increased pass prices, no more option to purchase discounted parking with Annual Pass, parking fee for hotel guests, late check-in, no turn down service, poor restaurant/bar service....I feel very sad that I shelled out thousands of dollars to stay and visit Diseyland for the year. It used to be a family favorite, and now I feel very nickeled and dimmed for everything. If they are going to charge so much more the service level should at minimum stay the same, if not reach higher. Instead it's taken a noticeable plummet.

7  Thank cakeshop
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We just returned from a 2nd trip to Disney in the past 3 months. Both times we stayed at the Frontier Tower. Rooms were clean. We decided to bring our tea kettle with us for our coffee packets. (Big coffee drinkers here.) Room accommodated 2 adults, 17 and a little one. Only thing is the sofa bed we got was a bit small. The little one slept in bed w/me but the sofa bed was a bit small for my guys. The 17yr old is 6 foot 2 and was too big for it. We didn't request a room with view as we didn't plan on staying in the room much but were upgraded to a pool view. It was nice. We could hear the awesome singers at Trader Sam's in the evening. The light up head boards are magical. Love this place!

Reviewed 14 September 2012

There are definitely less expensive places to stay while visiting the Disneyland Resort, but then again there are more expensive places to stay as well. The reason to stay at the Disneyland Hotel is to get the complete Disney experience. It may cost more, but it is proof of the old saying “You get what you pay for”.

Days before you arrive at the hotel the Disney treatment starts. You get reservation confirmations, planning tips and guides, helpful recommendations, park schedules and even packing check lists. There is so much helpful information provided to help make your stay enjoyable.

The attention and the service you receive from the staff from the time you pull up to the reception area until you leave is pure Disney. Plus the attention to detail is exceptional. There has also been a lot of recent remodeling and upgrading so it is like the hotel is brand new. Everything you may need or want is either already there or can be provided within a few minutes of making a phone call.

There are three swimming pools, five places to eat and shops on site plus plenty of perks. You’re also within a few hundred feet of the Downtown Disney district and all it has to offer and a few hundred yards of Disneyland and California Adventure Parks. It would be hard to ask for more.

Everybody deserves to be pampered every now and then. I highly recommend being pampered at the Disneyland Hotel.

Room Tip: Reserve an upper level view room!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I read and re-read reviews to pick the right hotel for our family trip to Disneyland. We were traveling with mother-in-law and our five kids in September 2012. We decided to try out the remodeled Disneyland hotel.

We loved the hotel! We had two connecting rooms in the Frontier tower. The rooms were lovely (kids loved the character wake up call and the fun headboards). They fit our large group just fine, but they are not overly large rooms. Our rooms were very clean. We had a great view of the pool. The beds were very comfortable.

All the cast members were very gracious. They checked us in four hours early, which we didn't expect, and our check-in experience was very quick and convenient. When my 12 year old realized he forgot underwear--don't you love kids--we went to the lobby to see if we could find anything. It was early in the morning, but the cast members opened the Fantasia store for us to buy underwear (even though it didn't open for about 2 more hours)--that really impressed us.

The grounds were immaculate, and the pools were a lot of fun for a family with kids. The pools have three different sizes of waterslides, so each child found a slide that was just right for them. There are also multiple pools in the swimming complex, so there was room for us to enjoy the pool without being overrun by other swimmers. It was also convenient to have life jackets available poolside for my youngest two kids.

We also loved the hotel location. We never did bother with the monorail. We took the short walk through downtown disney to enter the parks. My kids never minded the short walk, and my husband and I found the hotel very convieniently located. I'm not sure why I've read reviews where people complained about walking from this hotel. It was no big deal, even for my five year old and mother-in-law.

The only con is that no breakfast is included in the price of this hotel. Despite the cost and lack of breakfast, we would come back again. When I asked my husband and kids if we should go back to a non-Disney resort on our next trip (we usually stay at a hotel on Harbor Blvd), they all said they could never go back. Bottom line, we loved the hotel and will be back--it did make the trip more magical.

1  Thank rebjohnst
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel on our most recent Family Reunion...we loved it...we arrived early and our room was not ready ...this is always a bit annoying but I guess it is a risk one takes when attempting to check in earlier than 3pm ...but we were driving and we could not wait to get into our rooms...we loved the newly renovated pool with the monorail slide...the rooms are awesome with the twinkling head words that lullaby you to sleep...we could walk thru downtown disney on our way to the parks or we could hop on the monorail which made our arrival to the magic that much quicker...I would definitely stay here again!

1  Thank claucrasoda