“Family Loves This Place”
Review of Disneyland Hotel

Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #20 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed here for a business conference otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it. You feel like you're at the parks the moment you walk in to register and the staff (cast members) were very helpful. The pool was great for the kids with the newer water slides and lounge area. We'll be back (when the next business conference is planned there of course).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,991)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Overall a very good stay . . . everyone was friendly, welcoming, great service. Rooms were very nice with lots of Disney/Mickey "magic" around. Characters visited the lobby often as well as to Goofy's Kitchen for the character breakfast. Walk to Disneyland was a little far going through Downtown Disney but still very convenient and for shopping, they deliver to your room! Lot's of other benefits.

Only issue in May, the elevators, one was down and the others were slow and small so not a lot could fit. Especially when strollers go in. Oh, and the doors close really fast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Truly enjoyed our week at the Disneyland Hotel the first week of June 2014. We stayed in a pool view room and had an awesome view in the Fantasy Tower. The room had two queen beds and really cool LED "fireworks" on the headboard that we used nightly as a night light for our daughters. We ate at Tangaroo Terrace twice and enjoyed both meals. My favorite was the Ahi Tuna Poke. 10 minute walk to Disneyland through Downtown Disney or take the Monorail. Monorail took longer but greatly reduced the walk. Also enjoyed breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. The pools are all together and the slides are set up great for parents to be able to watch small children. Lifejackets are offered for free and are available to be grabbed at the pool.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Detarica
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I had a fantastic three night stay here. I checked in at about 7 pm on a Monday night. Check in didn't take too long and I was surprised with an upgrade to a pool view twin queen room on a higher floor.
The room was clean and comfortable. I thought the bed was too hard at first but I found that I was quite comfortable sleeping in it.. I loved the Disney touches - the light up head board on the bed and the Mickey light fixtures. Bathroom was clean. The bath was a bit on the small side. Toiletries were a nice citrus grapefruit scent.
All staff that I dealt with were pleasant and courteous.
I used the self park option, which was an extra $15 a day on top of the room rate.
I did not get a chance to explore the grounds much as I was in the park all day. I would have loved to check out the tiki bar. The pool looked wonderful and had beautiful gardens all around.
I was lucky in that I was in the tower that is closest to the lobby and car park. The Fantasy Tower.There are three towers and it is much more convenient to be in this one as it is closer to the self car park and to Downtown Disney and the park entrance.
I did not eat on the property I preferred to use my car and go and eat at nearby diners for breakfast.
One negative thing to say is that the elevator situation in that Fantasy Tower is woefully inadequate. There are three elevators, only two of which were working during my stay. They are small. One person with luggage, or a stroller and it is almost full. At the end of the night after the park closes there is a line up of people to get into the lifts. Add to that the many strollers and suitcases that are coming and going, be prepared for a (sometimes long) wait.

Room Tip: The Fantasy tower is closest to the car park and Downtown Disney
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank cosmocat12
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here from June 2 through June 6, and this is our third stay at this beautiful resort hotel. The rooms are spacious and inviting, the vanity is separate from the shower and toilet area, the beds are comfortable, housekeeping does an outstanding job of keeping the rooms clean, the furnishings and decorations are nice, and I really enjoy coming back to these rooms after a day in the parks. We paid a bit more for a room with a pool view, and the view was really pretty. The hotel's grounds are beautiful and meticulously kept, and I enjoy roaming around and exploring the grounds peacefully and quietly away from the crowds. The pool area is lush. My son loves the nifty slide. It is difficult to find lounge chairs, however, and I think management should brainstorm a way to ensure that hotel guests have a place to sit near the pool. One surprising thing about this hotel is that in the hallways you will notice that the baseboards and room doors are all banged up and in dire need of painting. This is unusual for a hotel of this caliber.

Now for Magic Hour. Many people will pay a premium, as we did, to stay in the Disneyland Resort for the Magic Hour. In our experience the Magic Hour worked beautifully for the California Adventure Park. We did everything we wanted to do there before the park became crammed and jammed. It was wonderful. However, Magic Hour was not useful for us on the Disneyland side. We were in line by 6:15AM to enter the park at 7:00AM on both Tuesday and Thursday. We were among the first in line. We were feeling pretty good about that. As 7:00AM approached there were literally hoards of people behind us. We entered Star Tours quickly without any noticeable wait. We then walked over to the Matterhorn, and the wait there was already at 45 minutes. That's practically the entire length of the Magic Hour! We trotted over to the Peter Pan ride. That wait was at 50 minutes. Indiana Jones was not an option because that part of the park is not opened during Magic Hour. So, we went on Toad's Wild Ride after about a 10 minute wait. Then, we went on Star Tours, again. Then Magic Hour was over, and literally thousands and thousands of people entered the park. It was crammed, jammed.

So…the hotel is very nice and I would definitely stay there again. Magic Hour does what it is supposed to do on the California Adventure side-it was wonderful. Magic Hour does not give resort hotel guests any advantage in the Disneyland Park from our experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank dewdrop490
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at $430 a night. Rooms were average at best. Toiletries were below average. The queen size beds were a little on the firm side. The pools were nice with 2 spas 2 water slides. My recommendation would be to rent a suite at any of the hotels across from the park and save half your money.

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank tdtdSo_Cal_
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Unlike everywhere else on our trip to Disneyland Resort, the employees at the Disneyland hotel seemed to be very unconcerned with providing good customer service. Whereas every employee I interacted with in either park seemed very eager to help on this visit, the people at the Disneyland hotel were almost perverse in their lack of helpfulness.
It took us nearly 45 minutes to get checked in, and even then, it felt like they were tossing our packet at us and couldn't get rid of us fast enough. This compares very unfavorably with our stay at Paradise Pier four years ago, where the desk clerk gave us a special folder filled with princess photos for our young daughter, a balloon, and button that said "first time visitor," etc, and could not have been nicer.
We ate at the restaurant for breakfast one morning, where the coffee was substandard and the bacon was just inedible. It looked like dirty bandaids. The coffee shop quality was not as good as you would see inside the park.
On the positive side, the beds were comfortable, and our room was clean. I preferred the decor at the Paradise Pier, however. Also, the Paradise Pier left these very cute little chocolate candies and turned down the bed at night. No such special treatment at the Disneyland Hotel, however. How on earth is this hotel considered "better" than Paradise Pier?
On our last day, our flight did not leave until 7:00pm. I called the front desk (having learned that under no circumstance could you just drop in and ask a simple question as you could at the Paradise Pier) and asked what we could do to get a late check out. I was fully prepared to pay extra for this privilege. The desk person said that they could only give me one extra hour, until noon, even though their website clearly states that you can have until 1:00pm upon request. When I told her this, she put me on hold for five minutes, telling me she would "check with her lead." Really? That's the sort of thing one expects when buying a dodgy used car; not the sort of standard one expects of the DLR. She came back and told me that she could "do me a favor" and let us stay until one. She told us that even though no one was checking into our room that night, that she could not let us stay later without charging us one half of the "rack room" rate of $489. That's right--$245 for an extra four hours, more than we actually paid for any night of our stay, even though no one else wanted the room. I was prepared to pay $100-150, but no. The corker on that was that when I discovered our billing statement on our door knob, there was a letter inside stating that the hotel was inviting us to extend our stay a full extra night that night for $128...but a few extra hours were going to cost us, according to this woman, $245. She was dishonest, and so ridiculously unhelpful. No doubt that was not our last trip to Disneyland, but it was absolutely our last stay at the Disneyland hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family