“Still, not the best Marriott in the chain”

TownePlace Suites Anaheim Maingate Near Angel Stadium
Ranked #59 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Vermont
“Still, not the best Marriott in the chain”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I am a die hard Marriott fan. This is one of my least favorite Marriotts. I stayed here a little over a year ago for work. I had to stay here again last week. They had updated the lobby, and I heard they updated the rooms. The decor was nice but the fit and finish still leaves a lot to be desired. there was pink mildew on the baseboards because they didn't wrap them all the way. The room layout is VERY awkward, you can't really easily turn the TV so that you can view it from bed because of the placement and the length of the cables.

I also found the bed to be very flat and not cushy at all, like other Marriott beds. My coworker found a giant bin of trash in the hall when he got off the elevator at 11PM, not like it was left in the midst of cleaning, just left. At least this room didn't smell bad, I was in the separate building this time. Last time I was in the main building and it smelled of old cigarette hotel room.

If you're here for a family trip, it's conveniently located an there's a Disney shuttle. The kitchen is nice for a longer stay. For business travel, and I travel a lot, there are other hotels in the area that I prefer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
JohnDAnaheim, Manager at TownePlace Suites Anaheim Maingate Near Angel Stadium, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor we have completed our renovation of our lobby and suites. It is unfortunate that they did not meet your standards. As a select service Marriott hotel we try and provide our guests with the best experience possible in our budget branded style of hotel. As my entire team works 24/7 to provide all our guest with an exceptional experience we must work for the duration of that time and continue to strive to find ways to make sure that we do not hinder our guests stay. It is unfortunate that we again did not meet your expectations but will look forward to your next arrival and your continue patronage.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Lots of Marriott's I looked at and stayed at before will charge your for parking. I was lucky enough to find this place that included parking with the cost of the room. Nice. I think parking should always be included with your hotel. But that's just me.
Anyways I actually used reward points to book one night here at TownePlace Suites in between a two day visit at Disneyland. It's actually pretty close to Disneyland so that's nice. Anyways we spent all day there before arriving pretty late, probably close to midnight, at the hotel. But they still had our room available and the man at reception was super nice and upbeat for it being so late. I didn't even feel like he treated us any differently because we technically weren't paying for the hotel room, rather using our rewards. He was super friendly and noted where we were coming to visit from. Also he explained all the amenities quickly before wishing us a good night and off to our room. While the rooms are inside, you still need your room key to get into the building. I like that added security.

Anyways, for the room, we had the one bedroom suite. It included a queen bed in the bedroom, a small kitchenette, and a living room area with a pullout sofa. Really big for a room, the right size for a suite. We really only used this place to sleep because we arrived late from Dland and were leaving early the next day for another fun filled day at dland so we didn't really take full advantage of the room, especially the kitchen. I like that the bathroom wasn't connected to the bedroom so we were able to use it without bothering each other in the bedroom. And the separate living room allowed me to watch TV and unwind while my friend just wanted to crash and sleep. Oh and the next morning, we were able to enjoy the continental breakfast. They have waffle makers which are my favorite things in hotels. The breakfast is adjacent to the lobby area so I agree with other reviewers that it was a bit cramped. We were there pretty early so we didn't have an issue. But I don't know that it can accommodate a huge number of people. Anyways, we checked out easy peasy and were on our way. A good place to just stay for a night or two and plenty of room for big families.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
JohnDAnaheim, Manager at TownePlace Suites Anaheim Maingate Near Angel Stadium, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for your review on trip advisor I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Anaheim and our hotel. We as a team also love the waffle station for our guests. We have currently been working on scenarios to break up traffic in our small breakfast space. Currently we have added trays so that our guests can enjoy breakfast in their rooms and also are adding additional tables at the pool area to accommodate more guest during the breakfast hours. We look forward to your next arrival with us and thank you again for staying with us.
San Francisco
Reviewed 3 June 2014

A 5 star rating does not mean it is a 5 star hotel, but merely that this property did everything one should be expecting in this price range...and did it well. The rooms are well designed, comfortable and clean. The included breakfast is respectable, even if the seating area is a bit cramped. Plenty of free parking. Heated outdoor pool and hot tub. Location is good. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed your experience, and look forward to your next stay with Towneplace Suites by Marriott.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here with family. Good hotel, nice clean rooms with kitchenette. Breakfast was good and it's very near to Disneyland. Overall I had a pretty nice stay. Would definitely recommend for families.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
JohnDAnaheim, Manager at TownePlace Suites Anaheim Maingate Near Angel Stadium, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello guest,

Thank you for your time in reviewing us. We look forward to your next arrival and thank you for your continue patronage.

Yours in hospitality,
Management
Shorewood, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Our priority was to have two separate sleeping areas, so this provided us with a decent option at a good value. There is actually more of a full kitchen than we expected or needed, so if you want that, then this is really a good value because the kitchen set-up is complete and nice in a compact way. The rooms are small, and there's kind of an odd mix of outdated and worn elements (furniture, scratched door) with nice updates (granite counters in the bath and kitchen). The elevator is like an old service elevator or something and we were originally put in a room right up against it and it was loud, so we asked to move. The hotel is right next to the Amtrak line and our room was on that side but I didn't find it to be a problem - it's not like a heavy freight load or busy commuter schedule or anything. The breakfast set-up in the lobby felt cramped and crowded, with the waffle maker next to the computers, for example. The modern padded dining chairs are a nice touch but they contribute to the over-stuffed feeling in the room. It was a busy week there. The food offerings were pretty good. The hotel is farther from Disneyland than we realized but we found the shuttle to be a pleasant way to get back and forth. It is not unique to the hotel so there may be a stop to another hotel along the way. Service was pleasant.

Room Tip: Make sure you're not next to the elevator. We were not bothered by the train side of the hotel...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank NorCalifMom
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor and taking time out of your busy schedule. We are glad you enjoyed our full kitchen and other amenities that the hotel offers. We have since your visit readjusted are breakfast set up so that we could break up the traffic within the breakfast area. As you stated the space is small for assisting our guests, Breakfast being a new standard amenity with Marriott TownePlace Suites trying to accommodate as many guests as we can is somewhat of a task, being an older generation TownePlace Suites. We are confident that our new set up for breakfast will correct this issue. We will additionally be adding pool furniture so that our guests can have breakfast pool side and enjoy the awesome California sun while enjoying our continental breakfast. We look forward to assisting you in the future and please come back and see us soon so you can see our new addition to the pool area.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed @ TownePlace Suites on the recommendation of my sister who stayed there last year for an Angels game. Yes I agree it is close to the Big A & the Amtrak/Metrolink train station. I walked from the train station to the hotel (10 minutes). I was happy cause I saw all the restaurants nearby (Denny's, Carl's Jr, Togo's Sandwiches, Panda Express, McDs).
Check in was fast as the front desk personnel worked as a team to process three customers, myself included.
I was assigned a first floor studio. I liked it. It was nice. It had all the amenities that I would need on this trip. Wireless internet was excellent.
Public Transportation is great. The ART stops right in front to take you to Disneyland. OCTA Route 50 took me to the Village @ Orange.
Walking to the Anaheim Angels Stadium was great (no fighting traffic, parking fees)
I look forward to staying here again for my next Angels game/Disney trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rider_K
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here in Anaheim with us. We look forward to assisting you on your next visit.
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I did not like the room. The bed was the worst & most bumpy bed i've ever slept on. When I say bumpy I really mean bumpy. The run down kitchenette area seems like such a waste of space. I knew ahead of time that the room, furnishings etc..were old & dated from previous posts however o/a of its ideal location I had to stay here.
Although I disliked the room, I gave this hotel 4 stars because the front desk people were so so nice upon check-in & in the morning and because Angel stadium is a v short walk(8-9 min), as is Amtrak station (also 8-9min walk) as are restaurants & fast food joints (2-3min). All of that is worth a lot to me.

Room Tip: Try the "Catch restaurant" across the street. expensive but good food, fabulous bar &...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank geronimo248
JohnDAnaheim, Manager at TownePlace Suites Anaheim Maingate Near Angel Stadium, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing us on trip advisor. I am glad that our staff members were efficient and hospitable during your stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and its proximity to the local venues. I am sorry you felt we are outdated and the furnishings are old. Some of our soft goods are still being used from before the renovation as not all items were replaced which maybe what you are describing but, we completed our Marriott 12 year renovation end of January. We are very excited about our update. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to wow you the next time you are in the Anaheim area and thank you again for staying with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anaheim
Staybridge Suites Anaheim - Resort Area
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,037 reviews
The Comfort Inn & Suites Anaheim, Disneyland Resort
Candlewood Suites Anaheim - Resort Area
Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate

Been to TownePlace Suites Anaheim Maingate Near Angel Stadium? Share your experiences!