“Comfort food in a German sort of way”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Jagerhaus

Jagerhaus
Ranked #113 of 860 Restaurants in Anaheim
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hiratsuka Japan
“Comfort food in a German sort of way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I have been going to the Jaegerhaus for 20 years. Actually I don't believe Gustav, the original owner is connected to it any more but that is a side point. As others have said it is an unpretentious venue in a strip mall. The décor is total kitsch with travel souvenirs and maps on the walls, It is a casual, family friendly place. The staff is entirely Mexican with Spanish floating out of the kitchen to compliment the piped music. The owner, a very nice older woman will usually make an appearance, but doesn't seem to be involved in the operation per se.
All that aside though, the standard menu isn't bad at all, and the overall experience is a good one

Now I would personally warn against the "game" options as these were probably frozen sometime in the last decade. I like game meat, and have tried it here over the years, but it has always been tough and dry, and I don't think that the kitchen staff knows how to handle it as it is only rarely ordered.

If you order the "specials" or from the standard menu the food is good if nothing particularly outstanding. It is comfort food as your German American grandmother might cook, and I had a German grandmother so I have some experience in that! In any case, the portions are generous, the beer good, and the taste better than average, all at a very reasonable price.

I would not describe the food as particularly "authentic" but German like tex-mex is to Mexican food, German to an American taste.

I am sure I will eat here when I visit the area in April as I always do. This restaurant is one of my go to places to get a good meal, even if it isn't really Bayerische.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Anrando

Bucharest, Romania
“Absolutely Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

A beautiful family owned locale, European portions, and a menu that will satisfy the most die-hard German/Austrian food fanatic. I spent my whole life living in Europe and can confidently say that Jagerhaus really makes me feel at home! Everything from side dishes to main courses are perfectly executed! A big applause to the owner who is always friendly, welcoming and present whenever I visit. It might not be cheap, but its worth it!

2 Thank Sergio Z
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“The Real Deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Great food, great service, comfortable, not fancy, venue. This was an unexpected find in an Anaheim shopping center. We - family of four - all love German food, and this is some of the best we've ever had in the U.S. Everyone got something different and everything was excellent. I have to believe that all items were made from scratch, as we heard the series of "pounding" the various schnetzels we had ordered; and the spaetzle was superb. Everything we had, both the meat entres and the sides, were well prepared and delicious. The portions were more than ample and a good value. The personable owner stopped by our table and we had a wonderful chat. She confirmed our suspicion of "scratch" cooking. They had a good beer selection, including some that are seldom found outside of Germany. Don't overlook this hidden gem. Jagerhaus rivals the best in the German Village section of Columbus, OH, and NYC.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank VPFLYR
“Having lived in Germany for over a decade I am more than impressed.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

This is a hidden gem. The building doesn't look like it would be a restaurant but inside is my new favorite restaurant. The service was good and the food even better. They even had beer that I have not found anywhere else except Germany. Will go again. They even offered a German newspaper.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Stebdawgf3
SE Pennsylvania
“What if a diner & a German restaurant had a love child?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Filling, pleasant dishes presented in an orderly fashion. Not fine dining, but the decor will tell you that immediately. Authenticity questionable, but imagine "diner-style" versions of German foods. It's all about comfort here. Nothing too challenging for the locals. The rabbit was okay and completely unexpected. Will return there again. Go with appropriate expectations and you'll have a good meal.

• Visited May 2013