“Very Nice Resort - Not At All Like Negative Reviews of Past”

WorldMark Angels Camp
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Angels Camp
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at this resort with my elderly parents for a week beginning Memorial Day weekend. This was a timeshare exchange and I was, frankly, a bit concerned as to what we would find at check-in given the negative reviews that have been posted on this site.

My first positive impression was obtained weeks prior to our arrival when I contacted the resort directly to request that we be assigned a unit that had few or no stairs. I spoke directly with the Manager, Bennett, who was very helpful and friendly.

When we arrived, we found our single floor 2 Bdrm unit to be very clean and well maintained. I even walked around in white socks for a while just to check the review of the woman who claimed that the units were dirty :-) The furnishings were nice and quite clean as opposed to some the pictures that I had seen. The pull-out Murphy bed in the living room was a nice touch as it still allowed for the use of the couch.

Being a busy holiday weekend we were not disturbed by noise even though we were directly across from the office and the pools. The pools seemed nice and guests could borrow from the front desk all of the equipment needed for using the very well maintained basketball and tennis courts. The exercise room had PreCor ellipticals, treadmills, and a universal. Wireless internet was available in the units via a special box that would service 2 computers for 10 days for $15.99. There was also a daily rate but the 10 day rate was certainly the best deal. A couple of computers with free internet access were also available in the lobby along with a free-use color printer.

The staff at the front desk bent over backwards to be helpful, providing recommendations for restaurants and activities and delivering a light bulb and a fan within minutes of my request. My parents checked in ahead of me and that might have diverted the attention of the sales staff because I was never solicited even one time to attend a sales presentation.

This place is in the middle of nowhere and if you are looking for something other than time to spend lounging by the pool, you will have to set out on your own. We checked out a couple of the caverns (not our style), and then hit the must see places such as Calaveras Big Tree State Park (40 min), Yosemite Hetch Hetchy Valley (2 hr), Black Oak Casino where I actually won money (45 min), the Angels Camp Museum (10 min), and the town of Murphys (25 min). The Gold Country is a hot spot for California wineries and most have located tasting rooms in Murphys so that you don't have to drive all over the countryside going from winery to winery. If you drive southeast toward Groveland or Yosemite, make it a point to stop for breakfast at the Big Oak Restaurant in Big Oak Flat on Cal 120. You will not be disappointed. Take the shortcut up old Priest Grade Road as it will save you 20 minutes. A million thanks to Ginger at the resort office for making this recommendation and even going so far as to Mapquest it out for us.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
16  Thank Kathie_n_Brien

Reviewed 2 June 2010

We stayed here with friends over the weekend for the Calaveras Jumping Frog contest.
Even though the Angels Camp area was packed with people ( the event is especially popular with bikers) we still had a relatively quiet stay. At night, the sound of crickets and frogs was predominate.

The living area is set up nicely for extended stay, with equipped kitchen, outdoor bbq, nice living room with tv, and even a washer and dryer.

This beats the other hotels we've stayed at while in the Angels Camp area. We could not get high speed internet in the rooms, but I believe they had computers available at the check in area.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank loradan
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We received the week in the time share at the Wyndham as a gift -- when we entered the room we thought it looked very nice. Great to stay in a condo when travelling with small kids - lots of space for them to play, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms -- nice little open kitchen area -- not high end, but nice enough. Nice patio overlooking the golf course. However after 1 hour of my 10 month old son crawling around on the floor -- he was black -- knees and feet -- not just a little, but seriously black. I scrubbed and scrubbed his legs that night -- still didn't get it all off. I did let the front desk know, they offered to have the carpets shampood, but we didn't want to walk around on wet carpet and didn't really want someone in our room while we weren't there. So i just dressed him in sleepers that covered him and washed his hands a lot. The sleepers i left there as i couldn't get them cleaned by washing them. I told a manager on my way out -- he said he'd have it addressed, but i didn't have a lot of confidence in that -- i had more confidence in the front desk agent who i saw complete a work order earlier in the week ... so hopefully the work order will be complete and the carpets will be shampood. Yuck.
The internet access was sporadic in the evening -- i was on vacation, so didn't stress about that too much.
However, i'm still going back and forth with management because i left a children's cookbook in the room... i KNOW it was there, 2nd drawer near the oven... my husband saw it, as well as we were packing up, but didn't know it was ours. My fault for leaving it, yes -- but i called as soon as i returned... they told me it wasn't there. I know it was. Either someone in housekeeping has a new book - or the people who stayed in the room. Still bummed about that.
Location was ok for day trips, wasn't impressed with Angels Camp, the town, at all. Murphy's was much cuter -- great little park and lots of restaurants.. if i were to go back to the area, i'd head to Murphys. Don't go to Moke Hill... waste of time. Do take time to go to Big Trees and Alpine Lake. Worth the short 1 hr drive.
On a positive note, i thought there concierge desk was helpful.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank mbruckler
Reviewed 27 March 2009

My wife and I stayed in one of the three bedroom units.

Plenty of room for two couples plus children. Two king-size beds in unit, one upstairs and one downstairs. Two twin beds in the third bedroom. Fold-out wall bed (queen-size?) in living room.

Carpets and flooring were in need of cleaning. I was surprised how dirty my white socks became after walking around the house for only a short while.

Comfortable king size bed in the upstairs bedroom. I won't call it a master suite because it was lacking in a few areas. First, no double sink. Second, no jacuzzi/soaking tub, only the standard shower/tub combination as downstairs. Nice bay window in the upstairs bedroom facing the golf course but was designed poorly. No way to comfortably sit on the cushioned area in front of the window because of the height.

Nice gas grill on the spacious patio.

Property is not on par with Marriott vacation resorts.

Scenic location.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sooner_fan_in_ohio
Reviewed 16 March 2009

My husband and I really liked staying here and we would like to return in the summer. Right from check in, the staff was wonderful. We were fortunate enough to have a 3 bedroom. We loved the space, the unit was immaculate, one of the cleanest if have seen. One thing you might want to know is the don't be fooled by the pictures regarding the furniture. The wrap around brown couch is for the "penthouses" there only 7 and most likely you will never get one unless you are a world mark owner. That being said, all the units have been renovated and the they are very nice. We have enclosed some photos for you to see. The difference from this World mark and "Marriott" or "Starwood" are there but they are small.... no upgraded bed linens, only one sink in the master bath, you will pay for the internet and the pool is pretty basic, no "lazy river"... sorry....

If you like golf, there is a beautiful course and club house right there.

There is internet service. You will need to pick up the connection cables at the front desk. It will run you about $15.00 for the entire week.

We found many things to do in Angels Camp. We do not have kids but we would definitely come back here again. We went Wine Tasteing, Snowshoeing (Big Trees State Park), Boating, Hiking, visited Moaning Caverns and Horseback riding (in the wine country of Murphy's at "Horse & Barrel"). We found a lot to do there and would like to return.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MichelleDeal
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Arrived at 10:00 p.m. and someone was in the office to greet us and give us the key to our room. We were happy to see that our room was on the first floor, because they don't have a dolly or an elevator.

Worldmark properties are consistently well maintained and Angels Camp is no exception. Our room (actually a one bedroom apartment) was nicely decorated, everything worked and the bed was comfortable. They even provided several packets of detergent for the dishwasher and washing machine. Our balconey had a gas grill.

This property is a short drive to strip malls with a grocery store, drugstores and restaurants. We ate at Far East (Chinese) and Hacienda (Mexican). Both have good food and are reasonably priced. If you're a bargain hunter, there's a large thrift store in Angels Camp that benefits the hospital.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank RobinC21
Reviewed 16 October 2008

We traded our timeshare for a week here in a two bedroom unit. I'll start with the bad and end with the good.

First the bad; cheap, cheap, cheap, from the construction to the furnishings. The walls are paper thin so that you can here the conversations of your neighbors. The aluminum frame windows jam and stick and won't close or open. The floors are uneven from poor workmanship. The counters are cheap. Only, one sink in the bath and no shampoo. Shower curtains in the bathrooms with a tiny plastic tub that look to be straight out of a trailer. Tile and carpet that looks like it's from the 70's. No services all week long. Finally the air conditioning unit is overhead to the secondary bedroom and shakes the entire end of the condo. If there was a corner to cut in the construction and operation of this location, they found it.

Now the good: The location in the gold country is great. Local wine tasting and historic mining towns are fun and entertaining. Shopping and the local stores was entertaining and the local folks were extremely friendly. Wine tasting was like the old days, with no tasting fees and reasonable prices for some great wines.
The condo had a good view of the golf course and the surrounding countryside. The BBQ on the balcony was a nice touch along with the spices provided in the kitchen.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank cool6t5
Mountain Retreat Resort, a VRI resort
Travelodge Angels Camp CA
Travelodge Angels Camp CA
#3 of 5 in Angels Camp

Been to WorldMark Angels Camp? Share your experiences!