“No Air Conditioning- Only Swamp Cooler! Unbelievably bad.”
Review of Black Horse Motel

Black Horse Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Apple Valley
Black Horse Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Apple Valley
Las Vegas, Nevada
“No Air Conditioning- Only Swamp Cooler! Unbelievably bad.”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I had to run up to Apple Valley for business and did not have time to research reasonably priced motels. I generally have good luck with the modestly priced establishments- primarily because I am not looking for nor willing to pay for 400 thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets, pillow-top mattresses and fancy flat-screen TV's. Not that you could hope to find that in the high desert at all.
Anyway, I'm going to cut to the chase. The rooms ARE NOT AIR CONDITIONED! Yes, they have "swamp coolers"... which DO NOT WORK DURING THE SUPER-HUMID MONSOON SEASON!! Swampers work by flowing water over filters which then evaporates and the thus- cooled air is blown in by (noisy) fan. They work pretty good when the humidity is low, but during the July thru September Monsoon season are, at best, minimally effective. The end result is that you feel sticky and hot. Bottom line: NOT ACCEPTABLE.
The rest of the room is just, well, OLD. Curtains consist of hemmed bedsheets. Mattress firm and not real comfortable. Bedspread and carpet acceptably clean but worn. WiFi worked with my Mac Book Pro but my iPhone 4s (which I know needs a stronger signal) would not connect. Beware re "non-smoking " rooms. Mine was non-smoking yet had definitely been smoked in -ALOT. Think about it: Do you think they are gonna be truthful about this- and let $50 or more fly away to another establishment.
Ahh well, you get what you pay for, right? Well in Apple Valley- not so much. It's too close to LA.
Bottom Line? : For about $5-10 extra per night you can get a much better room. I paid $105 for two nights- and that was with my "contractor discount". I would have to say that this is, no doubt, the cheapest motel in town. It might be OK in the winter as it has a newer-looking Williams wall heater. But forget it for the summer.
BTW, yep I BARBECUED this place. If the rooms were cheaper- and they HAD BEEN UP-FRONT ABOUT THE LACK OF AC, well ummm this is 2012. WHAT MOTELS DO NOT HAVE ACTUAL AIR CONDITIONING?!?!?!?!?

Room Tip: Ask HOW OLD THE AIR CONDITIONING UNIT IS. If it's old, it's gonna be NOISY and INEFFICIENT...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank evinrudejim

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Miller, Indiana
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I am compelled to write a review because this definitely is the worst motel room I’ve encountered in the past forty–five years of traveling. Due to uncontrollable, last-minute changes in medical and caregiver schedules of family we were visiting in Lucerne Valley, my sister was unable to cancel our reservation less than 48 hours prior to check in. The Black Horse management is not flexible or accommodating re: cancellation. There was no negotiating, like paying for one night and getting refund for the second night. Credit card payment was upfront for both nights on the website.
I wonder what room was photographed for the website. It definitely wasn’t Room 21. This is the room that I review.
The front desk man on duty (March 22) was not friendly. He questioned me as to why I was asking for two additional sets of towels. That was a first! The main source of heat is a wall-heater and the pilot light was off. Cold air from the high-desert night leaked through the top & bottom of door so my sister stuffed her comforter in the gaping cracks and for the 2nd night we borrowed a blanket from our aunt. A round table was pushed into a dark corner of main room with no lighting for reading, visiting with my sister. When we checked in, another guest’s fishing pole, crutches, and soiled clothing were inside the closet. The dead bolt was broken. The 'guy' was so surly that we chose not to 'bother' him w/maintenance issues. We asked for another room and our request was denied.
The carpet & furniture was soiled and in need of repair or replacement; broken bathroom mirror; unwashed & dirty film on windows; refrigerator and microwave unplugged; stove pilot light was off; kitchen tiles chipped; dirty tin foil under stove grates; scratchy blankets; rough & scratchy towels; thin sheets; major air leakage at top and bottom of door; small, non-lighted tiled shower with peeling non-skid strips. The 'double' room was indeed one double bed and one twin bed pushed against the wall directly under the window. This was not stated on website. The wooden bed frames were permanent and immovable. Coffee was not available--the man at front desk stated that since the room was only $50.00 per night that coffee was not offered.
I highly recommend NOT staying at Black Horse Motel, at least not in Room 21, unless cleanliness and security are not an issue.
During past travels, I have located older, cleaner and decent lodging for $60 and under. My expectation is always the same, that the room & bedding are clean and doors/windows are secure, that management is pleasant and accommodating. Not so during our 2-night stay. Truly, there are NO redeeming qualities re: the room for me to be positive about. The high desert sunrise was magnificent. Our first impression of the room was not that of charming or quaint --more like broken down, dilapidated, uncared for, unsecure. With no refund available, my sister and I stayed.

Stayed March 2010
(aka khandra)

Room Tip: This is a review written re: trip to Black Horse Motel in March 2010 under my profile name 'khan...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank pegina16

Travellers are raving about these Apple Valley hotels

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Omg!should of called the health department!!! I hope we did not catch aids,herpes,or ANY other sexually transmitted disease!!! !!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Sellnsurf
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 17 December 2010

I Love this place, it is one block from the main hwy so you avoid all the noise, the price is cheap at $45 a night. Rooms are not like the Hilton so if you are looking for something like that then don't come here, out bathroom shower was newly tiled, and room came with a full kitchen. Overall i would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DougStorm
Union City, California
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Those fools who wrote negative reviews on this place have obviously unreal expectations. It's a inexpensive quant quiet motel located away from all the hussle bussle of the main drag. I don't understand what they're complaining about. You can clearly see from the outside that it's an older establishment, did they expect that it would suddenly become renovated on the inside for the cheap $50 bucks a night? The guy complaining about not getting enough towels that's stupid. How many towels do you need anyway? We had 5 in our room. Hey man! it is such a cool experience to finally get a place that has real character. The cheezy furnishing, carpet and the buildings archetecture all add to it's flavor. Think Bate's motel, think Quentin Tarantino 60-70s style. THen you will really appreciate the place more. It appears to be a family run business. Our check in girl was very nice and helpful. She asked if we would like to examine the room before commiting to staying and we did. My friend and I both loved the place and thought it was a pleasant switch from all the nights we've been staying in Super 8 and Motel 6 places. The rooms are huge. Our's had a full sized kitchen with dinning table, full sized fridge, stove, oven, microwave, sink. Our bathroom was old but the shower tiles were brand new. Water was good and hot. Our room had a wall heater that you twist a knob to turn on or off. We had a T.V. with cable. The place was so quiet we slept the best of all nights. I guess you have to love uniqueness to appreciate this kind of style of place that so stands out from all those other places that just look and feel the same.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank kcrunch1
Miller, Indiana
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I am compelled to write a review because this definitely is the worst motel room I’ve encountered in the past forty –five years of traveling. Due to changes in medical and caregiver schedules of family we were visiting, we could not cancel this room. Note that Black Horse management is not flexible or accommodating. One cannot cancel a reservation less than 48 hours in advance.
I wonder what room was photographed for their website advertising. It definitely wasn’t Room 21.
The front desk person on March 22 was not friendly. He questioned me as to why I was asking for two additional sets of towels. The main source of heat is wall-heater and the pilot light was off. Cold air from the high-desert night leaked through the top & bottom of door. The round table was pushed into a dark corner of room with no lighting available for reading, forcing us to sit on the beds near the only lamp. When we checked in, another guest’s belongings were inside the closet. The dead bolt was broken.
The carpet & furniture was soiled, broken bathroom mirror; unwashed & dirty film on windows; refrigerator and microwave unplugged; stove pilot light was off; kitchen tiles chipped; dirty tin foil under stove grates; scratchy blankets; rough & scratchy towels; thin sheets; major air leakage at top and bottom of door; small, dark tiled shower with peeling non-skid strips; no coffee. When begging for the extra towels, I asked if coffee was available in the morning, and the man stated that since the room was only $50.00 per night that coffee was not offered.
I highly suggest NOT staying at Black Horse Motel unless you like flushing money down the toilet. In the past I have located older, cleaner and decent motels for $60 and under. Not this one. Truly, there are NO redeeming qualities about the Black Horse. It is not charming or quaint. Adjectives that come to mind are dirty, dark, derelict, deteriorated, despicable, dingy, depressing, disgusting, deplorable.

Stayed March 2010
6 Thank khandra
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Wow, what a dump. Old, dirty, delapilated, no heat, no amenities, had to beg for more towels, dead bolt was broken, bathroom mirror broken glass, one table lamp was the only light source, thin icky blankets, large opening at the bottom of the door and smaller one at the top of the door that we had to stuff to keep cold air out. Dirty items found in the closet at check in. There is not one redeeming quality for this place. Trust me. DO NOT STAY HERE. I am not a snob, but this is certainly the very worse place I have stayed in in my entire 57 years.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
#3 of 19 in Victorville
Holiday Inn Victorville
Holiday Inn Victorville
#4 of 19 in Victorville

Been to Black Horse Motel? Share your experiences!