“Overpriced, broken and unpleasant”
Review of The Bay View Hotel

The Bay View Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aptos
The Bay View Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
Reviewed 20 September 2007

We encountered multiple issues with this place when we stayed here for one night., after making reservations a few months prior. Most lodging is this area is very expensive. This place was not cheap but seemed like it had the potential to provide a charming stay.

We were off to a bad start when there was no one to check us in when we arrived in the late afternoon. There is no office for checking in guests -- a front waiting room that could serve this purpose had a prominent "Keep Out -- Employees Only" sign, probably because a peek in the window showed that it was very cluttered with junk, papers, half-eaten bags of junk food, and the like.

A worker at the bar attempted to help us locate the innkeeper Christine, who was not responding to the phone. This worker made two trips upstairs to try to look for her. After a 25-min wait, during which another couple also wandered aimlessly around looking for information about staying there, the innkeeper came downstairs. She didn't apologize for keeping us waiting and was not friendly at all.

After we checked in, we were shown to a room where the innkeeper, Christine, immediately apologized about some damaged, mildewy curtains that she said were damaged by water when the previous occupants had left the window open. She said she had ordered new curtains. I found this story suspicious since in this area it doesn't rain in the summer, and here we were after three months without rain. Why still she put us in that room I don't know -- my husband groused later that you would think she could have put us in a different room if she was having a problem with this one. They had plenty of vacancies when we stayed.

The room we stayed in was quiet enough, though we could hear some noise from the bar. The room was kind of dusty and not exceptionally clean, but passable. The decor was charming and was one of the best aspects of this place. The bed was kind of lumpy but gave us a comfortable night's sleep.

The bathroom was tiny, postage-stamp sized, with a small basin. There was just barely enough room for me to maneuver with any comfort, even though I am a small person.

The soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower were broken, so this made it very difficult to get any. They looked like they'd been broken for a long time because the tops of the dispensers were damaged from other people banging on them trying to get them to dispense anything.

When you showered, you needed to be alert to a sudden ten degree increase in water temperature whenever someone flushed a toilet or used the cold water somewhere else in the building. This happened twice to me while I was in the shower, and also to my husband.

This was not what we were expecting for $200/night.

When we checked in, I asked about breakfast. The innkeeper explained to me that we got breakfast up to a value of $8 and that we had to pay for anything beyond that. That would buy us pancakes and coffee -- anything fancier than that required some extra payment. In some writeups this place is listed as a "Bed & Breakfast" but it isn't really. The attached bar and restaurant are run by separate management.

Furthermore, we were attending early event the next morning, but breakfast would not be prepared by 7:30 AM when we needed it -- and they could not make accommodations for even serving us juice or cold cereal before their standard breakfast time of 8:30 AM.

She told us a number to call the chef in the morning to see if it might be possible for us to get breakfast earlier, and also wrote down our menu selections which she said she would try to pass on to the chef to help her get a head start on preparing our food.

We ended up calling and waking up a very sleepy person at 7:20 AM the next morning. The chef apparently was a tenant in the hotel, and Christine had not communicated with her. We gave up on breakfast and picked up some items at Safeway to make it to our event.

Overall, we had a terrible experience and cannot recommend this place to others. While this place has charm, there are too many strikes against it. It was a real downer and stressful for our mini-vacation to pay so much and yet encounter such inhospitality and problems with the facilities.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank hopefully_helpful

Reviewed 22 May 2007

I booked this place based on the recommendations I saw on trip advisor and was sorely disappointed when I got to this hotel. Our room was dusty and run down. The bar downstairs stayed open until late and we could hear every little bit of the fun being had. We had a similar experience in the morning by being woken up by early risers.

Both the food and service were also disappointing! I am very suspect of who ever gave this place 5 stars.

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank Rose411
Reviewed 5 February 2007

This place was great! The food is DELICIOUS, the service is wonderful, and the people there make you feel like you're at home. The room I got was nice and spacious, with an extremely comfortable bed. I would reccomend anyone to stay here, and I will definatley be eating and sleeping there soon again!

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank leogurly311
Reviewed 29 July 2006

The first floor of the Bay View Hotel is a restaurant and bar that seems a throwback to old Western movies: cowboy hats and whiskey bottles, a piano always playing in the background, someone named "Frenchy" singing. It looked interesting, until I realized that I was going to spend the night there. Upstairs were 11 small rooms. Mine was filled with dusty furniture, a musty smell, and window shades that didn't quite go down. The hotel was built in 1878 and declared a state historical landmark in 1974. Quite possibly, it had not been cleaned since then.
Excess furniture--three cabinets, three mirrors--made the room seem even more cramped than it was. I could barely squeeze from the bedroom into the bathroom; maybe the 12-inch television was in the way.
Music from the bar died down around 11 p.m. After that, I could hear every footstep on the stairs, every flushed toilet in the house. Breakfast again reminded me of the Old West: greasy fried eggs and greasy fried potatoes.
"Frenchy" (Marlene Dietrich) would never have stayed at this dump, and you shouldn't either.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
6  Thank wheninroam
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 29 December 2005

I found the accommodations to be comfortable and well done with tasteful decor. The beds are remarkable. (I was there two nights and had two different rooms because of a plumbing problem in my first room.)

The restaurant is excellent and the breakfast was tasty and promptly served. The coffee was fresh and flavorful, as one would expect that close to San Francisco. No Maxwell House poured there!

I found the staff to be delightful and helpful and Christina a most gracious host.

I was in Aptos on business but look forward to going back with my lady to spend a pleasureable weekend at the BayView.

I do wish there was a more reliable WiFi connection available but I was assured that the establishment of such a network is in the planning stages. For now, if you need a connection, ask for a room within the range of the WiFi signal of the coffee shop next door.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Rio Sands Hotel
#15 of 54 in Santa Cruz
Seascape Resort
Seascape Resort
#3 of 6 in Aptos

Been to The Bay View Hotel? Share your experiences!