“Kitchen Service mars good restaurant” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot

Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
Reserve with OpenTable
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 69 Restaurants in Aptos
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State Park Drive
Transit: The Santa Cruz/Watsonville MTA bus #71 and #91 Express drops patrons off within easy walking distance of Au Midi.
“Kitchen Service mars good restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

This is my third time at Au Midi. Both times before were very nice. This time the kitchen sent out the wrong salad for my wife. I had the sweetbread appetizer which I finished well before they brought the correct salad for her. Probably a 20 minute wait. No excuse for that. She ultimately liked her salad which was a beet and goat cheese combination. My sweetbreads were only fair as their consistency was not as silky as I am used to although the sauce was nice. The wait for our main entrees was interminable. The main dishes were very good when they finally arrived. Salmon and mussels. The owner came to apologize but the wait really reduced our evenings enjoyment. The owner offered a free desert but we declined for dietary reasons. I was surprised that the owner didn't offer to waive the corkage on the wine bottle we brought. He did so after I asked which was somewhat consoling.
We will go back and hope for better service next time.

Visited October 2013

Granite Bay, CA
“wonderful evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We enjoyed an excellent meal at Au Midi in Aptos. A casual bistro with serious food and a sincere and warm reception.
Beautifully presented, clear precise flavors and creative preparations. Very reasonable wine prices.
Beet and Goat Cheese Mousse not to missed. A "meaty" mussel dish with tomato, wine and cream, Bright and light hand with the halibut.
Desserts- apple tart with fennel ice cream and traditional, perfect, floating island. Finished with a well made espresso with lovely crema! Customer delight achieved. JB

• Visited October 2013
California
“Always a pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Muriel's entrees are amazing! The French influence is especially prevalent in her sauces, so deliciously complex. We love dining at Au Midi. Michel is a gracious and friendly host. You can tell that Au Midi is a labor of love.

• Visited October 2013
Santa Cruz, California
“A Must is Mue's Mussels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

This incredible dish is beyond belief. The chef and her husband (the maitre d') make the perfect host and chef. It's simply terrific and should be enjoyed before it's constantly sold out!

• Visited August 2013
santa cruz
“Au Midi is special even to the non specialist”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I really enjoyed Au Midi several times- twice with one friend, and also with a group. The food was the most beautiful thing every time. I don't remember specifics as it has been a few months, but I know there was nothing I did not enjoy! Beautiful color and presentation too. I am not an aficionado of French food, because my husband is not, to the point of his balking at going to any restaurant with that implied. So I can't make comparisons with Provence and so forth. But I have girlfriends...! And went with them. I wish there was a four and a half star rating possible. The only complaints are extremely minor. The service was variable both in attentiveness and attitude, I thought. I wish there were more than one restroom- got stuck waiting a LONG time. But I really admire what the owners have made from the storefront setting, it is quite lovely.

• Visited April 2013