“That second "t" is appropriate!”

Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
Reserve with OpenTable
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 70 Restaurants in Aptos
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State Park Drive
Transit: The Santa Cruz/Watsonville MTA bus #71 and #91 Express drops patrons off within easy walking distance of Au Midi.
Oakland, California
“That second "t" is appropriate!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Been there twice and it's all been good. Basic bistros food + some interesting creative numbers. Killer delish squash bisque with coffee bean dusting and desert "special".

• Visited January 2014

Aptos, California
“Ah oui, c'est tres, tres bien!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

From the lavender decorating the bar between the tables and the cash register to the front windows, the ambiance is as attractive as anything I enjoyed in France. The owner was engaging to talk with, the food excellent, the service perfect, the dessert choices incredible. I was taken there for a birthday dinner by my friend - I've not received a finer gift in years!

Visited August 2013
Santa Cruz
“Awesome French food in Aptos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I bought the Got Daily Deals coupon for Au Midi Restaurant and Bistrot in Aptos. We find that getting these coupons, as well as Groupons, is a good way for us to try restaurants that we normally wouldn’t go to. We have made some good discoveries of local eateries this way. Au Midi is one of those discoveries.

The décor at Au Midi is really nice, with good colors, nice artwork, and pleasing lighting. When we arrived for our early dinner, there was only one other table occupied, which was kind of nice. By the end of our meal, the place was almost full, and it was still nice, and not too noisy.

I started with a Saison Dupont Belgian beer that the menu noted was listed in Men’s Journal as one of the 25 best beers in the world. That’s quite a claim, and it’s neat that this little restaurant in Aptos was able to find it and sell it. It comes in a mini champagne bottle, which is kind of fancy and neat. I like beer, but I’m not a connoisseur. Honestly, this was a really good beer. It has a 6.5% alcohol content, and it was rich and well-balanced. I thought that the price on the menu was $7.75, which for a beer is a lot, but when the bill came, it was $9.75. I must have read it incorrectly. It was a good beer, but not $9.75 worth, maaayyyybe $7.75, but I’d recommend buying one for fun just to try it and then have a Stella Artois.

For an appetizer, we ordered the Beets & Goat Cheese Mousse Salad with apple vinaigrette dressing and basil-lemon infused apple for $14.50. Try to picture it. I pictured some greens with some beets and some goat cheese – your basic beet and goat cheese salad, right? What arrived at our table was this awesome, insane, amazing, fabulous “thing” that was visually stunning and one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. The beets were cut into microcubes and then layered with the goat cheese, and it was molded into a beautiful little, well-shaped mound. It had six little dollops of soft apples around in various shapes, some with a hot sauce on them and some with a cilantro leaf on them. Every bit was amazing. This was local, organic French food at its finest.

For the main course, my husband and I ordered the two vegetarian selections and split them between us, for $21.50 each. One was the Papeton, which was pesto linguine surrounded by thin slices of eggplant with a thick tomato and bell pepper sauce. We didn’t really know what to expect. It also had been molded into a well-shaped mound and it was absolutely delicious. The eggplant was sweet and really tender, without losing its consistency, and the sauce was divine. The other dish we ordered was the Pappardelle Provencale, which was artichoke stew reduced with white wine, lemon, and celery juice. Again, every bite was better than the last. It was outstanding. Again, this was local, organic French food at its finest.

And then came dessert. We ordered the Bergamote, which had layers of orange crème brulee, Grand Marnier ganache, chocolate biscuit, and bergamote-flavored chocolate. We had no idea what to expect. Honestly, I can’t really even describe it. There was a round mound of chocolate with multiple layers of yumminess. There was a spun sugar “basket” with mandarin orange slices in it, and there was a little dish of crème Anglaise. It was a creative, eye-catching, and delicious dessert. It was amazing. Every bite was better than the last.

Our server was friendly, attentive, professional, and was pleasant to deal with.

I can definitely recommend Au Midi to anyone desiring an upscale French dining experience. Everything was really fresh and delicious, but what was most amazing was how everything that we ordered was so creatively presented. We will definitely be back. I just bought the Groupon for Au Midi!

• Visited December 2013
Carmel Valley, California
“Authentic Salad Nicoise !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Au Midi is almost an hour away but we make the trip in happy anticipation. This is not a restaurant that beckons you with a great setting or fabulous decor, rather , you come to dine.

As you can tell from reading the other reviews, it is all about ordering the right thing. Three dishes are absolute standouts- the Mussels, the Sweetbreads and my particular favorite Salad Nicoise.
The nicoise is so good that I mentioned to Michael that it rivaled the one I had on a trip to Provence in a little known village on the sea by the name of La Ciotat. He pointed to one of the many lovely paintings of France decorating the dining room and said " that is a view from my mothers terrace of the same village!"

Small wonder that they get it right!

• Visited October 2013
“Kitchen Service mars good restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

This is my third time at Au Midi. Both times before were very nice. This time the kitchen sent out the wrong salad for my wife. I had the sweetbread appetizer which I finished well before they brought the correct salad for her. Probably a 20 minute wait. No excuse for that. She ultimately liked her salad which was a beet and goat cheese combination. My sweetbreads were only fair as their consistency was not as silky as I am used to although the sauce was nice. The wait for our main entrees was interminable. The main dishes were very good when they finally arrived. Salmon and mussels. The owner came to apologize but the wait really reduced our evenings enjoyment. The owner offered a free desert but we declined for dietary reasons. I was surprised that the owner didn't offer to waive the corkage on the wine bottle we brought. He did so after I asked which was somewhat consoling.
We will go back and hope for better service next time.

Visited October 2013