“Delicious, good portions, ask questions”
Review of Sid's Smokehouse

Sid's Smokehouse
Ranked #36 of 71 Restaurants in Aptos
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy 1/Freedom
Hayward, California
“Delicious, good portions, ask questions”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stopped in and had the full size mixed greens salad with added pulled pork on top (well it was really on the side of the big plate). Awesome. The salad was fresh and had lots of tomatoes and some onion, carrot, cucumber and croutons. The dressing came in a small dish on the side so I could put as much as I wanted on my salad. The pulled pork was really tasty and moist and there was plenty of it. Overall a great meal and sized well for a meal salad. I had one of the tap beers, they have a limited (maybe 9 taps) selection of tap beer and a few more in bottles. Wine too for the wine drinkers.

There are a bunch of things on the menu that looked really interesting, and some other people sitting at the bar were eating a few of them. Right next to me a couple guys were polishing off the Mac and Cheese and said it was really great. Another guy was eating what looked to be the Chicken Pizza, which looked good. That's on my list for the next time I go back. The Sid'sSlider too, a sandwich of the chopped barbequed meats (mixed) plus sauce and chili and cheese on top.

This place was remodeled recently as was pointed out by other reviewers. Its nice and clean and new, and simple. Not "fine dining" but when is the last time you went to a barbeque place for "fine dining"? Its about the food and this place has some good stuff. I'll be back, definitely. Only wish I lived closer

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank MackStWgns

Santa Cruz, California
“BBQ is great, but the pizza needs help...”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My wife and I stopped in for the first time on a Friday evening. The place was packed with kids and every seat was filled so we were hoping that everyone knew it was good. The remodel from Smoqe (previous restaurant at this location) provided additional seating including bar seating. Also Sid's offered full table service instead of the cafeteria-like Smoqe system.

We ordered the pulled chicken sliders and a beer, a caesar salad, and a pizza. The sliders were fantastic, piled high with freshly-made cole slaw. The salad was also good, with the freshest ingredients.

The pizza, however, was not acceptable for a restaurant that advertises itself as a "Pizza Place". The crust--what I believe is the most important part of a pizza--was not fresh, lacking flavor and crunch (and salt!). The tomato sauce tasted like they had opened up a can of tomato paste and spread it on the dough--not a bit of spice, and again lacking salt! There were black carbon particles on the bottom from an oven that was not cleaned.

To sum it up: GREAT BBQ, but BAD Pizza!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank BigRedSC
Loveland, Colorado
“Comfort food at its best”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

In summary, very good burgers, premium draft brew and quality barbecue ... my kind of place! We were hesitant at first to try Sid's after a number of bad experiences with the previous establishment Smoque, but after three visits now we are convinced that this newcomer to the local Aptos dining scene is here to stay. Sid's has made some noticeable improvements to the design of the dining area to maximize service, most notably adding a bar where diners can sit if they are solo or don't want to wait for a table, and in having servers take orders at your table as opposed to standing in a slow line that used to snake out the door and into the parking lot. The food and drink is of high quality, consistent and affordable ... the servers prompt and attentive ... and the atmosphere warm and comfy for singles, couples and families. After a long day or when looking for a quick bite to eat, Sid's is now our go-to place in Aptos. Be sure to try the garlic fries!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank NorCalBeachGuy
Aptos, California
“Nice, local place to eat.”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Sid's is getting a good start. The food was tasty,the service superb, we (4) all enjoy a good meal. But don't confuse Sid's with "fine dining". I felt it competes very well with Chile's for price and quality and with huge portions. Our server was sharp and timely with good suggestions for the kids. I wish I had eaten half and taken the rest for leftovers. We will be back to try the pizza.

1 Thank CaptML
Aptos, California
“Sid's not nearly as good as Smoque”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We went to the new Sid's Smokehouse in anticipation that it was a worthy successor to Smoque, which closed last year. Smoque had big, fabulous, fresh salads, smokey delicious pizzas and more. Sid's may be trying to hard right now. The Reuben sandwich with barbecued pork, cheese and sauerkraut on variegated rye bread wasn't tasty....and, in fact, was surprisinly dry. We also tried one of their salads, which was OK, but not nearly as big or fresh as we remembered. Sadly, Sid's seems to be capitalizing on Smoque's popularity but without providing the finer touches that we loved. One good point: We had $3 house wine during Happy Hour, which was decent, and the 1/2 of a Smokehouse Chicken was tasty.

• Visited June 2012