“Heater needs fixed”
Review of Rio Sands Hotel

Rio Sands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Well I stayed here recently for 1 night and we did not sleep well at all. I am surprised I did not see a mention of noisy heaters as maybe this is a room specific phenomenon? Our heater worked OK but then after it stopped (i.e. desired temp was reached), it made all kinds of noises like a really loud drip sound. It woke me up on at least 3 occasions. I tried to turn the heat down but we did not have much in the way of comforters/blankets which is odd for winter. Usually hotels put super thick comforters on the bed and you have to crank the AC to not sweat, I could have actually used one of these for a change.

I stepped on the placemat in the tub and my foot slipped almost causing a fall which is ironic as that is what it is there to prevent. I quit using and noticed the tub was more slippery than average.

I didn't see the banquet room for breakfast but did see the buffet and took a pass and went to Starbucks.

Positives: Great location by the beach, front desk personnel were friendly on check-in.

Cons: Obvious cosmetic upgrade but room temp controls should be digital and my heater was suspect.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ATLAS313
RioManager, General Manager at Rio Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Hello ATLAS313,
Your review was very informative. As you are aware we had our Maintenance Tech, check the heater in your room during your stay. He informed you that when the metal to the heater expands; it will make noise. However, I do apologize for the inconvenience of the noise from the heater.Also, all rooms have extra pillows and blankets in the closets. If their ever is an occasion where a guest should require more blankets then what is provided in the room; we are staffed at the Front Desk 24/7. We would be more than glad to bring them up to you.
Thank you for noting that the Front Desk Staff was friendly.

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

The price of this hotel is amazing, particularly given its proximity to the beach!! It's an older building, but the building and grounds are well cared for, and rooms are impeccably clean. Breakfast was generous, served in a nice banquet room. I spoke with two business travelers who've been staying there regularly for years. I'll definitely be back!

I found this property through Hotels.com, and although they messed up numerous aspects of the reservation (and I will never use them again), the staff at Rio Sands were incredibly accommodating. Dan and Cole at the front desk helped me repeatedly throughout my stay, turning a difficult experience into a pleasant one. Thanks!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
RioManager, Manager at Rio Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear StillPnina,

Dan and Cole are the best! We have a wonderful Guest Service crew. Thank you for your kind words regarding the fellows accommodating your needs.

We pride ourselves in having an incredible Maintenance, Housekeeping and Guest Service staff.
I sincerely appreciate you taking note of the care our team takes in the property.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed at the Rio Sands for two months for work. It really is a charming places place literally about 100 feet away from the beach. It is very quiet. So if you are looking for a fun beach atmosphere go to Capitola or Santa Cruz. This is a quiet beach with a lovely restaurant, bar and deli near by. Safeway is a short drive away.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hi There Knickerbocker Jones,

It seems you had a nice extended stay. The hotel does have that beach charm that seems to bring our repeat guest back time and time again. We hope you'll be back soon.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I recently stayed here a month while working out of state. The hotel is very clean and quiet. I cannot say enough good things about the staff.......they were wonderful. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. The staff was especially helpful with questions about the area. I recommend this to everyone I know wanting a place to stay close to the b I would not hesitate a return trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Hello Rebecca F.

Thank you for noting that our Guest Service Staff is friendly & efficient. I appreciate your mentioning the beautiful grounds and the cleanliness of the room. We'd be lost without our Maintenance and housekeeping staff, they do a wonderful job.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I didn't actually stay here but my daughter works there and we were able to use the pool and SHE has stayed.,
it is a great motel for a family. there were lots of kids for my granddaughter to play with. people barbeque at night and are friendly and the pool and hottub are wonderful. this motel has kitchens too in some rooms and is only 2 blocks from rio del mar beach.
I highly recommend to families with kids or people who don't have kids but love them.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Hi Sabine 17093,
The pool and barbeque areas have always been a great place where children and adults meet and make lifetime friends.
Families really appreciate our kitchenette suites. They enjoy having the comforts of home and find that having the ability to cook meals in their room makes for a more economical vacation.
Thank you for recommending our hotel. Come back soon so you can enjoy more "fun in the sun"!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We always have a great stay at the Rio Sands Hotel. We go there often. I love it's location, and the grounds are kept so nice and green! I recommend this place to everyone I know. We love walking the beach trail. But most of the time we bring our bikes and have a really nice weekend! What people don't know is that this place is great in Autumn and Spring and you get the beach to yourselves!

Room Tip: Second floor has a view of the ocean!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rene O
RioManager, Manager at Rio Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Hi Rene,
It seems you know exactly what to do when you come to the Rio Sands. The beach trail is a beautiful walk and riding bikes is always fun too. Thank you for noticing the grounds. Our maintenance team and in-house Horticulturalist, Mike does an incredible job in keeping the property looking amazing.
You are right the Fall and Spring are a wonderful time to visit Rio Del Mar. So, when will we be seeing you again?

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Any time I have to book a traveling nurse around this area I always book with Raquel at Rio Sands Hotel. She and the rest of the staff are so helpful and always get a room for my nurses. I hear great reviews back after their stay, and they request this hotel for next time they come into town.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Hi Sarah,
I enjoy working with you to ensure that the nurse’s accommodations are comfortable while being away from home.
It pleases me to hear that we’ve met the nurses expectations while staying with us.
You are a pleasure to work with.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Best Western Seacliff Inn
Capitola Venetian Hotel
Capitola Venetian Hotel
#4 of 4 in Capitola
Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola

Been to Rio Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!