I would have liked to have been able to give this hotel a better review. The grounds were beautiful and well kept up. The room was very clean. The eggs for breakfast were real, not reconstituted. The breakfast staff was excellent.
And then there was the downside. The walls were paper thin. From 6:00 am on I was woken up every half hour by the alarms of the people to the left, to the right, underneath...I heard no less than six alarms go off.
The check in staff was interesting. When I arrived, one woman was chatting on the phone. She did not look up or acknowledge my existence at all. The second woman came in from the back and was just kind of doing what needed to be done. There was no attempt to pretend she was guest oriented, or cared if I was there or not.
There was a weird line to initial about paying for damages and paying for OTHER PEOPLE'S ROOMS. I asked what this meant and was told that if management had to comp a room for any noise we made, they would then charge us for the amount they had to comp. We needed the room, but I would never stay there again as the agreement line was way too vague. They could have ended up charging me for anything.
The internet was pathetic. It would work for about 2 minutes, then stop. I could not even check email.
No elevators. You had to shlep your stuff up concrete stairs. That is MOTEL, not HOTEL.
Bottom line is that Best Western as a chain is very inconsistent. I have been to wonderful Best Western Hotels and terrible ones. This one was somewhat in the middle, except the things they are lacking on are pretty important to me. I like getting a good night's sleep. I like desk staff that acts like my business means something to them. I like internet that works. And I don't like surprise "agreements" added into my contract. The customer care (or lack thereof) is extremely evident since I had just stayed at a Hampton Inn the night before, and the night after stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. The customer care at both of those chains was over the top. The real kicker was I then stayed at a Best Western in Fortuna, and there front desk was exemplary. (walls still paper thin, but that is another review.
I have included pictures of this hotel. It looks great. If only the actual hotel experience matched the looks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the beauty of northern California's beaches and lush natural landscape from the comfort of this luxurious Aptos hotel near the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk! Located just minutes from Seacliff Beach, this charming Aptos hotel offers easy access to the area's many attractions. The famed Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is just a short drive away, as is exciting whale watching, kayaking, sailing and more. Outdoor lovers delight in hiking through the majestic redwoods and other local flora at the nearby Wilder Ranch, Henry Cowell, and Nisene Marks State Parks. Go back in time on the historic Roaring Camp Railroads, sample some of California's finest wines at Santa Cruz wineries or get a glimpse of life under the sea at the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium, less than an hour away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your BEST WESTERN Seacliff Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Seacliff Hotel Aptos
- Best Western Seacliff Hotel
- Best Western Aptos
- Aptos Best Western