“getting a little run down--very noisy”

Best Western Seacliff Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
San Jose, California
“getting a little run down--very noisy”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Chose to stay here again after three years. This time our experience was not the greatest. The hotel was very busy and thus very noisy. The walls in the room were so thin that I could tell what our neighbors were watching on TV. That said, it's a beautiful location and the rooms were very clean and large and nicely furnished (TWO chairs!). The complimentary breakfast was quite varied with eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles, cereal, etc., etc.; however, the food just wasn't very good. The staff was very pleasant, no complaints there.Not sure if I would stay here again, as it was the off-season and still too noisy for us.

1 Thank AndeaAnderson
seacliff7500, Manager at Best Western Seacliff Inn, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It was unfortunate to hear your experience was not as positive as your last stay. The issue regarding the thin walls is valid and I assure you, I have made our Chief Engineer and General Manager aware of the issues you have pointed out, and we are working towards a solution. I am sorry to hear your breakfast did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. We try our best to offer guests a quality complimentary hot breakfast buffet. Your feedback will be shared with the team, and we will do our part to improve our quality.

Thank you again for your review as we strive to improve our guest experience with every response we receive.

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
California
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

We liked this hotel. We got a great deal and appreciate the amount we paid for the amenities we got. I call it a hotel, even though I agree with most of the reviewers who argue that no matter how nice the grounds and amenities are, any place where the rooms are in outbuildings, the doors are essentially exposed to the outside, and doesn't have an elevator, is a motel. It was very quiet, though we stayed here on a Sunday night in the off season, so the place was not very crowded. If it had been, we might have heard more people moving around and slamming doors. I am thankful that the doors are not spring-loaded like a lot of places; I only heard one rude guest at what I call DoorSlam O'clock. We also had an upstairs room, with a balcony. Helped a lot.

The grounds are very nice, pretty basic but with some Japanese-inspired landscaping. The pool area is well-maintained, with a nice heated pool and jacuzzi. The pool area has a bathroom of its own, which is always a plus in my book. They have a great koi pond, with a waterfall and lots of fish who swim up to greet you (is it feeding time?).

We were very happy with the free breakfast; it was real eggs, roasted potatoes, sausage, french toast, oatmeal, plenty of cereal, OJ, coffee, yogurt, apples and bananas. Not as fancy as some chains but still way more than I expected, and complimentary.

The beds were not great. We had a king which was nice and solid, but cheap-feeling. Compared to more contemporary chains it's pretty thin and the frame was a bit rickety and squeaky, tending toward the motel end of the spectrum.

We liked the room otherwise; it had a balcony and a lovely view of the courtyard. We did not hear much (if any) freeway noise, even though the hotel is close to the freeway. It had a fridge, flatscreen TV, decent basic-cable channel lineup, and wifi. The wifi was pretty slow but free.

We also took advantage of the $5 credit per person toward drinks at the bar; again, it was Sunday and pretty slow. A G&T with Tanqueray will set you back just a couple of bucks more than your voucher will buy.

We did not eat at the restaurant, but it didn't seem like anything fancy.

Overall, we got a great deal for the money. If you are used to Hampton Inn or a newer La Quinta or Holiday Inn Express, you may not like the vestiges of motel-room feel to this place. However, the great location, nice grounds, and free breakfast more than made up for it for us.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank diablito916
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback in regards to your recent trip to Aptos! We're happy to hear that we were able to live up to your expectations. You’re right; our rooms are located in exterior buildings surrounding the property with no elevators. However, we are only two stories and provide a number of other services such as a restaurant, swimming pool, and fitness room, which increase overall guest lodging satisfaction. We are also able to accommodate conferences and meetings. The next time you are staying with us, please let our Front Desk know if you are dissatisfied with your room. We want nothing less than a 5 star experience during your stay. Thanks again for your review, and we can’t wait to see you again!

All the best,

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The hotel is easy to find, right as you exit the highway. Both a restaurant and lounge onsite for good food and a great atmosphere. The pool and hot tub were popular, but didn't use them ourselves. Fresh breakfast was an added bouns, a great start to the day!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review! We are delighted you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel. Sounds like you had a great time during your stay! Please come back and see us again soon.

Warm regards,

San Diego
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I would have liked to have been able to give this hotel a better review. The grounds were beautiful and well kept up. The room was very clean. The eggs for breakfast were real, not reconstituted. The breakfast staff was excellent.

And then there was the downside. The walls were paper thin. From 6:00 am on I was woken up every half hour by the alarms of the people to the left, to the right, underneath...I heard no less than six alarms go off.

The check in staff was interesting. When I arrived, one woman was chatting on the phone. She did not look up or acknowledge my existence at all. The second woman came in from the back and was just kind of doing what needed to be done. There was no attempt to pretend she was guest oriented, or cared if I was there or not.

There was a weird line to initial about paying for damages and paying for OTHER PEOPLE'S ROOMS. I asked what this meant and was told that if management had to comp a room for any noise we made, they would then charge us for the amount they had to comp. We needed the room, but I would never stay there again as the agreement line was way too vague. They could have ended up charging me for anything.

The internet was pathetic. It would work for about 2 minutes, then stop. I could not even check email.

No elevators. You had to shlep your stuff up concrete stairs. That is MOTEL, not HOTEL.

Bottom line is that Best Western as a chain is very inconsistent. I have been to wonderful Best Western Hotels and terrible ones. This one was somewhat in the middle, except the things they are lacking on are pretty important to me. I like getting a good night's sleep. I like desk staff that acts like my business means something to them. I like internet that works. And I don't like surprise "agreements" added into my contract. The customer care (or lack thereof) is extremely evident since I had just stayed at a Hampton Inn the night before, and the night after stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. The customer care at both of those chains was over the top. The real kicker was I then stayed at a Best Western in Fortuna, and there front desk was exemplary. (walls still paper thin, but that is another review.

I have included pictures of this hotel. It looks great. If only the actual hotel experience matched the looks.

Room Tip: Maybe in a corner on the bottom floor. No elevators. 200 building if facing the freeway.
1 Thank Ghostwheel
Dear Valued Guest,

We regret your experience with the Seacliff Inn was not all that you hoped for. Our goal is always to exceed guests’ expectations and it’s never easy to hear that we were unable to do so. Thank you very much for your comments as this is the best gauge by which we can measure our success and make changes where necessary and appropriate.

I’m sorry you found it strange to initial the agreement about being liable for damages incurred as a result your stay and being financially accountable for adjustments made to other guest rooms as a result of your stay. To clarify, we would never charge you for comps to other guests’ rooms, unless you were warned several times about noise complaints. We never charge unless there is valid reason for doing so. We have this policy in place to ensure all guests have a pleasant stay.

We hope that your experience with us will not deter you from visiting the Seacliff Inn again. Our goal is that all of our guest's stays meet or exceed expectations. We certainly would like another chance to change your mind. Safe travels.

All the best,

sacramento
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We had a very nice stay at the Seacliff Inn. The hotel was in very good condition, grounds were well maintained, and the staff very nice and welcoming. The location was central to where we needed to be. Our room came with a complimentary breakfast which included eggs, potatoes and sausage and French toast or waffles along with cereal, oatmeal, yogurt and a selection of breads. It was very well done. There is a pool and spa.

One issue we had was that our room faced the garden area where there was a table for sitting. It was a gathering point for people and at night the conversation carried into our room. Most of the property did not have this problem and we just did not want to ask for another room and move as we were there for only two nights. Everything else was fine. I would stay at the Seacliff Inn again.

Best dining experience was Zameen Mediterranean Cuisine on Soquel Drive around the corner from the hotel. We ate their both nights while we were in town. Great staff and the food was very good. Also we were told the restaurant at the Seacliff Inn is also very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the outdoor table outside of building 3.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
seacliff7500, Manager at Best Western Seacliff Inn, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Hi there, thank you so much for your positive review on Trip Advisor! I was glad to see your kind words about the staff, grounds and location - It is truly great to hear! I completely understand how noise by the pool patio table could be bothersome. Please know that we share these experiences with our team to ensure that we continually improve the quality of our guests stay. Take care, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Woodland
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed here while visiting our daughter who just had a baby. The rooms are large and up to date. Nice flat screen and medium size fridge Great restaurant. Food is simple but good. Great bar! Watch out, Saturday and Sunday nights are dance night with a live band, pretty lively place. They have really nice interior grounds with a large waterfall and coy pond. Nice outdoor pool and spa. Buildings 1, 2 and 3 are near the freeway. Ask for building 5 or 6. For $10 more your room will face the pool or gardens. Includes buffet style hot breakfast.The hotel is up from Sea Cliff Beach and very close to Capitola and Aptos.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
seacliff7500, Manager at Best Western Seacliff Inn, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Thanks for the great review, delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I think you hit a lot of good points about our property, I couldn’t have said it better. Come back and see us again!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Hotels.com gives an over rating of this Best Western (outstanding) in my opinion. This is an older establishment but maintained nicely. The restaurant was nice and the food very tasty. Our room was nice and clean I could walk on the carpet with my socks on. My husband's side of the mattress had a slump and I could feel a spring on my side. The comforter was thin as well as the walls, we could hear guest above our room, next door, in the hallway, and outside. Nice quaint fitness room. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. If you are looking for brand spanking new or fairly new this is not the establishment for you. If you have rustic taste, you'll enjoy your stay. There was an odd odor in our room and hallway. The doors in the halls were kept open which helped minimize the odor. It appeared each room had glass sliding doors which definitely helped. This Best Western appears to be more bungalow styled than an Inn.

Room Tip: Call in advance for a assistance. Request your room/balcony face in-ward towards the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
seacliff7500, Manager at Best Western Seacliff Inn, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. It is wonderful to read you enjoyed your time with us and the many terrific amenities our hotel has to offer. Our team works very hard to ensure our facilities are well maintained and consistently offer a comfortable environment for our guests. We are constantly looking for ways we can improve our guests experience and your feedback has provided very valuable insight into areas we will explore.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Rio Sands Hotel
Dream Inn
Dream Inn
#2 of 54 in Santa Cruz
Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection

Been to Best Western Seacliff Inn? Share your experiences!