“Great stay, very pleased with the hotel”

Best Western Seacliff Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
Reviewed 15 July 2008

The Seacliff Inn is about 15 minutes from Santa Cruz and 45 minutes from Monterey. The grounds are beautiful and the location is very quiet. It has a very large and well kept pool, with a hot tub next to it, in a very attractive garden area. The room was average size, comfortable and it seemed newly updated. Great breakfast included with the room rate. Their restaurant is excellent but on the high side. Staff is very pleasant and helpful. Free wi-fi and computer terminal is available in the lobby. Safeway within easy walking distance. Excellent Mexican restaurant (Mannys I think) several blocks away. Aptos Pizza also several blocks away. See hotel restaurant suggestions for name and addresses for above mentioned restaurants. They also have suites. We would not hesitate to stay there again and highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 4 June 2008

I thought it was a bit overpriced. The bedding needs to be updated- old, nasty polyester bedspread with stiff, cheap sheets, and a thin nylon blanket. Needless to say when the fog rolls in it's more than a bit chilly. At $182 a night, I feel they can easily update the linens. I called the front desk and asked them to call a cab and was told I have to call myself. Whatever.... I feel the hotels should work something out with the cab companies and I don't need to be bothered with their internal problems. The pool was nice and heated, which made a morning swim in the cool fog rather enjoyable. The free breakfast was good: waffles, eggs, bacon, breads, juices. There was nobody to help with our luggage, and the front desk lead me thru the very, very crowded bar (8pm on a Saturday) hauling all of my stuff by myself in order to get to my room. Could have really used some help or been guided another way... I do believe I knocked over someone's shrimp dinner. Good luck.

• Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank Anonymous60666
Reviewed 14 April 2008

Stayed in this hotel over a weekend for a wedding. The hotel was an excellent value. The clean rooms appear to be newly remodeled with up to date fixtures, linens, and bathroom tiles. The rooms are as shown in the hotel pictures. We received a very good AAA rate, which beat the wedding rate.

The hotel also provided a complimentary basic buffet breakfast, which included eggs, taters, bacon, sausage, cereal, waffles, and oats.

The hotel had lots of families on the weekend we stayed. Seemed more like a family hotel, than a singles place.

I rate this hotel between 4 and 5 stars. The only downside is that the hotel is not on coast.

I highly recommend this hotel for the Aptos area, which is a bit on the expensive side of Santa Cruz.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kazuo
Reviewed 26 February 2008

On an LA to Oregon trip, I elected to stop over on the coast and chose Aptos (can't say why, exactly but it seemed a good idea at the time.)

The Seacliff Inn looked decent on the Internet, the price was competitive, and a room was available. I was SO pleasantly surprised, I have been telling family and friends about it ever since.

My room was attractive, clean (and smelled clean - always a big plus) and comfortable. I looked out over the lovely garden and pool. On a Friday night, it was actually quiet and conducive to a good night's sleep. Parking was just outside the room and free. Even the restaurant on the property was far better than average, and the dinner prices decent, with attentive, friendly servers. In the morning, the breakfast, included in the price of the room, was extraordinarily generous, with all kinds of hot entrees (and bacon!) available buffet style in a spacious (but somewhat dark) dining room adjacent to the garden.

Lots of families there, looking happy and comfortable to this happy and comfortable reviewer. Just stayed one night but absolutely recommend to others.

It is so delightful to have one's expectations exceeded ....

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank NYCbacktoLAhooray
Reviewed 3 February 2008

Though more vacation-oriented than business-oriented, this is where I stay when working at my employer's Aptos office; I am not aware of anything more suitable in the area. I paid $97 a night. Those seeking a more affordable option may want to consider the Red Roof Inn in Watsonville, not all that close but a straight shot up Highway 1. For a true business-format hotel you have to go to Santa Cruz.

The format is a multi-building compound around a courtyard & pool. They appear to be gradually upgrading the rooms; each time I come back it seems to get a little better, but then the price is also inching up. This time around, the room was quite clean and the fixtures in good condition. The room had a fridge & coffemaker. Some features are still stuck in the 70's though: the building exterior looks rather modest, the heater/AC unit is not very effective (not as a heater anyhow), and the sliding glass door does a poor job keeping out cold and noise from Highway 1. The quickest way to chase the chill off the bedding is to crawl under the sheets and blow the hairdryer around.

The courtyard has a nice-looking pool that I never have time to use. It is about a half-mile hike to the beach. The restaurant is rather good for the price level, but not the best dining available even in the small town of Aptos. They have a live band playing jazz standards & ballroom dancing some nights.

The staff is about average for an American hotel. They seem to rely on students from the local community college. So they are bright and have a good work ethic, but inexperienced and sometimes distracted by paperwork (or maybe it is their homework).

The rooms now have internet, consisting of a DSL modem glued to the bottom of the phone. Missing, however, is an ethernet *cable*, so you either have to pack your own or hope the front desk has one. The phone is not near the desk, so pack a 20-footer. My PDA can sniff a Wi-Fi signal in the courtyard, so you can compute poolside, but it doesn't reach into the rooms. I didn't need to use internet (I have an office when I am here) so I can't comment on performance.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank The_Conductor
Reviewed 29 September 2007

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 15 years and if you can look past some of the rude staff members it is a nice place to stay in the Aptos/Santa Cruz area. It hasn’t always been this way but at check-in the young lady who helped us seemed put out by our being there making her do her job. She was somewhat rude and very unfriendly. The dining room hostess was indifferent to all patrons and went so far as to tell one guest at the buffet if he wanted hot chocolate he would have to pay extra for it. The bartender seems to water the drinks somewhat or maybe he just forgot the alcohol. The grounds are always well kept, the rooms seem to have been recently remodeled and ours was very nice (always try to get one overlooking the pool unless you don’t mind the cars in the parking lot), and the pool is very nice and clean. All of the housekeeping and grounds maintenance personnel were quite friendly and helpful. Overall it probably the best place to stay in the Aptos area for the price as long as you don’t mind some of the staff members and their poor atitude.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BobbyJSacramento
Reviewed 2 September 2007

We stayed here because there are few motels in the Santa Cruz area that aren't showing their age and some are in usafe areas.

The grounds are well maintained and the koi pond is very nice.

However, the mattresses are lumpy and the pillows very thin. I couldn't sleep all night.

We did not get what we paid for. We booked a pool view room. Our room was hidden from the pool behind a small storage building. We got a peek of the pool.

The desk clerk never told us about the complimentary breakfast.
We paid $163 with tax for the one night we were there. Granted it was a weekend and many Santa Cruz motels demand a 2 night minimum.

I complained to corporate headquarters and never got a reply.

I don't think we'll patronize this motel again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank Informedone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Rio Sands Hotel
Capitola Hotel
#1 of 4 in Capitola
Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley
Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola

Been to Best Western Seacliff Inn? Share your experiences!