“Great, light meal.”

Sanderlings Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Sanderlings Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 71 Restaurants in Aptos
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sumner Ave.
East Bay, California
“Great, light meal.”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stopped in the bar area and had clam chowder and pizza. They were both excellent choices. The chowder is award winning. The pizza was thin crust and very flavorful. Good service, very good prices and beautiful view! Would go again and highly recommend. Oh, and don't forget the warm apple dessert - you'll be very glad you didn't!

• Visited July 2013

Modesto, CA
“Terrible Service with a Terrific View 6/2/13”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Got to blame management because the service staff really haven't been properly trained. They're all nice clean cut young men & women, but they don't know how to wait tables, really they don't. If you take a customer's utensils when you clear their dish, what do you expect them to eat with when you set the next dish on the table and walk away (this happened several times during dinner to several of us at the table forcing us to ask for more utensils). Our fillet mignons were undercooked - they were rare to raw, not medium as requested - when we asked to have them cooked longer they cooked new ones (TAKES LONGER!!!!) so some of us finished eating before the new fillets came back, and when they did they weren't nice thick fillets like the ones we sent back and simply wanted cooked longer - they were skinny and more gristly - really disappointing. My wife and I asked for coffee with our desserts. When the waiter repeated our dessert orders and didn't mention the coffees I repeated to him our dessert orders emphasizing the coffees. He then said, "Oh that's right - and two coffees." The coffees never came. I ended up having to tell him to remove them from the bill. This is not the first time I've had terrible service at Sanderlings....this is the third time out of three times, which means this wasn't a one time fluke due to one bad employee. This is repeated bad service due to management's bad employee training practices. Sanderling's isn't cheap and they try to sound upscale in their ads, but customer's aren't getting what they're paying for. Take my advice, skip Sanderlings. Go into near-by Capitola and eat at one of their many well known restaurants. You won't be sorry, unless of course you chose to eat at Sanderlings anyway.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank jjeppson
Lafayette, CA
“Well, that was exhausting”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

When the highlight of your dining experience is the salt water aquarium by the hostess reception, in my opinion, ya'll got problems. Service was so funky. Our young server tried hard, but took these weird "leave of absences" during our dinner. We were sort of on our own. My only point is if you are in the $25-35 entre range, service should be, in a word, "better." We were getting antsy to order after our drink order. Wine bottle came out 15 minutes later and the waiter explained, "Had a hard time tracking down this bottle." Did he drive to the local liquor store to find it? We then gave him our food order at minute 50 and waited with anticipation. He only returned 10 minutes later to "verify who ordered what." You know the routine where the waiter has his pad of paper out and he points around the table at each individual in our party and asks them to recite their order they had placed 10 minutes ago. Our waiter also mentioned that the kitchen was "slammed" and food should be comong out shortly. That comment definitely did not instill confidence. (the restuarant was maybe half full...eeek, our hopes really sank) The kids meals arrived early, which is always nice. The problem was that not all the kids orders came out at once. 5-10 minutes later kids all had food. And then the appetizers rolled out sporadically. A salad here, and a few minutes later shrimp there. Thank God I had my wine and my glass was constantly being refilled..by me. BTW, mozzarella and tomato salad is plain bad. How can a restaurant screw that one up? Cheese was old and tomatos were sliced fresh sometime in April. Entres arrived, again strangley at different times. When they took my salad fork away with the salad, a littel voice in my head told me I should have hung onto it. Got my luke-warm scallops, requested a fork and waited and waited again for a new fork. Had my full wine glass, gulp. Scampi and pasta was soupy. Halibut was ok, scallops were ok, salmon ok. What a shame. They have a captive population with all of the resort guests. The patio seating is spectacular with world-class views. But the fact the restaurant is only half full on a Saturday night when the resort is full, tells me that most everyone (not eating at Sanderlings) has already been there once. And that bottle of wine so hard to locate? It was my only refuge during a dinner that was a slog through bizarrely poor service and mediocre food. Phew.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank trippin7
California
“Great pool side service by Lady”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Pool side service was great! Extremely friendly with it being so busy too! Had the grilled artichoke and hibiscus martini. Both yummy! If I could give a higher rating for service I would!

• Visited May 2013
Modesto, California
“Truffle Fries are a MUST!”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We enjoyed the restaurant's food. We tried the burgers, steak sandwich and huevos rancheros. All of us enjoyed our food especially the truffle fries. We had Bloody Marys from the bar, the first round was good the second was only adequate.

Visited April 2013