“Just OK”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Arcadia
Vancouver
“Just OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed here three nights with my husband and two kids (ages 2 and 9) at end of June. We actually got a really good rate through bidding on Priceline. Check in was a breeze. The lady at checking us in told me my room had been pre-paid since we used priceline and we were assigned a room with a king size bed on the 4th floor. There were free Chupa Chup lollipops on the check in counter. I took two for my kids. There is free parking all around the hotel.

The elevators worked fine. Sometimes it could be a bit slow. The room was okay for our purposes. The sofabed was smaller than expected, but it was enough for my 9 year old son. There is a very small sink and countertop in the small living area with desk. There is also a mini-fridge and cute sized microwave. Also, coffee pot and mugs and dish towel. Under the sink there was paper plates and two sets of plastic silverware. The fridge is decent sized, but there is no freezer.

There is only one TV that is placed on a stand on the small dresser between the bedroom and living area. There is only a small wall dividing the two rooms. The TV was a bit wobbly because the stand was broken. The bathroom was small also. The sink is outside of the bathroom and was also small. There is complimentary Paul Mitchell shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soap.

The bed was comfortable. The AC unit is loud when it is on. The free internet was also ok. Sometimes we would lose connection. But, it was free.

There is a small fitness room downstairs although we didn't use it. We also saw the outdoor pool and it was also very small. The complimentary breakfast buffet is right in the lobby. It can get really crowded in the morning and there isn't enough tables for people to sit at. It was a very typical buffet with cereals, bagels, english muffins, juices, coffee, milk, yogurt, bananas, oranges, sausage and eggs.

There is an abundance of places to eat nearby within walking and driving distance. Also, the mall is a few miles away. A grocery store is about 1 or 2 miles away also. Arcadia also has a pretty big Asian influence. There was quite a bit of Asian restaurants and bakeries and dessert places. We absolutely loved that aspect as we were able to try different things we can't get here.

Overall, the hotel is just OK. I would stay again only if I could get the discounted rate through Priceline. Otherwise, I think I would try staying next door at the Hilton Garden Inn or across the street at Embassy Suites.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank waiomaogirl
Zachariah M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pasadena Arcadia, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. Our goal at the SpringHill Suites Arcadia to Wow every guest and I am sorry that your stay was "just ok". Next time you are in the area please contact me personally, and I will do I can to insure that your next stay is a great experience. Zachariah Morris, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Santa Rosa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

What's good: The location, with lots of great places to eat within walking distance.

What's OK: The beds. Comfortable and easy to sleep on.

What's awful: A lot. I'll start with the air conditioner, which was noisy and impossible to adjust. On, it was noisy and way too cold. Off, it eventually would make you turn it on.

I'll move on to the maid service, which was atrocious. Although we left at 10:00 a.m. or before, our room had not been cleaned when we returned at 4:00 p.m. Only by vociferous complaining did they make up the room between 5:00 and 5:30.

The breakfast: Totally miserable. Bad coffee, horrible food. Nothing healthy. Even Holiday Inn does better. And not nearly enough space to eat, and during busy times, they run out of stuff. The breakfast person did all she could in a chronically bad situation, so I blame this on bad management. I'll add, they have a waffle machine (good!). But only one, which means you can wait for over ten minutes for it to become free. Better hotels with better management have responded to that problem by adding an extra waffle maker.

Oh, and one super-horrible thing is: No plates. No cups. No silverware. What you get is all plastic, and plastic of the lowest possible quality.

The staff: "I can' t fix that problem, I'm only a desk clerk." Which may be true, but it's hardly an excuse. There should be managers on duty at all times, who have authority to solve problems.

The Internet. I don't think in five or more years, I've found a guest computer that was slower. So slow it was impossible to load pages from Facebook, and these days, for some of us, Facebook is an essential part of staying connected. The staff's answer: "We've complained about this and hope they will replace the computer." May I add, they have signs for a "business center" but there is no longer a business center. Just the lame computer in the lobby.

The place has only a temporary manager who could not be reached to deal with my complaints.. My guess is, they're just going to shut the place down and don't care that for the time being it is a disgrace to the Marriott name.

Room Tip: Hmm. In a few years, the Gold Line train will run right outside your window. Whether that's a pl...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank srca
, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pasadena Arcadia, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
"Thank you for taking the time to share your visit with us. I appreciate your comments and apologize that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay.

Your feedback on our complimentary breakfast is valuable and we are in the process of updating the layout of the breakfast room and improve our choices.

I have personally addressed your concerns with the staff and made changes where necessary. Please note that the hotel is in the process of undergoing renovations this fall and I feel the majority of your concerns will be alleviated.

Upon your return to Arcadia please contact me directly to ensure your next stay with us is everything you've come to expect from the Springhill Suites by Marriott brand. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please call the hotel and ask to be connected to me directly."
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Great value for a comfortable stay, good breakfast and easy trip to APU

• Stayed August 2011
Crozet, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed here for a couple of days. Older style Springhill Suites hotel with updates. The best feature is the great staff. Great size rooms, decent quick breakfast, and great staff. The staff was receptive and willing to do what it took to make the customer happy. One staff member even left the hotel to find change for someone to use the washer. Very nice! Even the staff cleaning the parking area asked if we needed anything. Easy access to the highway. Plenty of restaurants and grocery stores near the hotel location. Not too far from busy LA.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Chula Vista
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

This partcular hotel was certainly a very nice place to stay. There were two outstanding employees who we felt deserve special ackknowldgement and recognition, during our 2 day stay from 4/13/2012-414/2012 (we were in room #209, Guest #97769). The staff members were Ashley Barrientos and Katrina Estrada. These individuals were enthusiastic, energetic, competent, and genuinely interested in the hotel guests they assisted.

We were at the hotel because our 10-year-old son was competing in a sanctioned junior tennis tournament. It was a wise decision to stay at this hotel. The Buffet was amazing!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Front desk staff was great. Hotel/room are clean. Nearby restaurants and LA area within 1 hour drive from hotel. But, breakfast buffet is average...could use more items in the menu such as fruits. Overall, good value for the money.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Very nice, close to freeway. About a mile from the racetrack. The drive time from LAX was much longer than stated, Closer to 90 mins than as stated on website, but traffic is always bad in LA. If you have business in the area or plan on other trips locally it's a very nice place to stay. If you want to be near Downtown LA this is not a good choice in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcadia
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Arcadia/Pasadena
Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area
Embassy Suites by Hilton Arcadia Pasadena Area
Residence Inn Pasadena Arcadia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Arcadia

Been to SpringHill Suites Pasadena Arcadia? Share your experiences!