“I had a nice meal”

Sushi Tao
Ranked #58 of 106 Restaurants in Arcata
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have not had much experience with eating Japanese food, but we all enjoyed our meal here. The various sushi dishes, and the miso soup was tasty, the price was very reasonable, and we also tried the seaweed salad. the waitress was very attentive, also. We were full at the end, but didn't feel bloated, which so often happens with a restaurant meal. This speaks well for the cuisine, which isn't high in animal fat. It was fun eating with chopsticks, for a change.

1  Thank oudi14

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is a great restaurant, as a vegetarian there are many, many great options here. The vegetable potsickers are incredible. Make sure to ask for miso soup without fish broth if u are vegetarian and also to tell them not to bring u chopticks if you don't wish to use them as they do not use washable chopsticks. The table in the bar next to the fishtank is my favorite, they use local organic tofu and the vegetable tempura is excellent, they also have a variety of vegetarian sushi rolls. I like the ambiance and the service is excellent, it can get crowded but u can almost always be seated at the bar if it is and you don't want to wait. You will love this place!

1  Thank Peter G
Reviewed 14 March 2014

By appearance, Sushi Tao is basic and unpretentious. Then you experience the cordial and attentive service and the excellent sushi with its value pricing, and it feels like you've just found a "jewel in the rough". The chef, Frank, is friendly, attentive to quality and gets the important details right. The sashimi, sunomono with tako, spider roll and miso soup were all wonderful, and brought to the table very quickly despite the restaurant being full. Thinking back on my dinner last night at Sushi Tao I'm salivating again. Guess I'll be going back soon!

1  Thank lbl54
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My family loves to get sushi here, we have tried a variety of the rolls and are always pleased. They have some good combination plates that are always great to share. Me and my 5 year old share all the time and we both fill up. The price is much better than the other sushi places in town and it is just as good.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

We just ate here last night and all three of us agreed that the food was some of the best Japanese food we have eaten. I had the Salmon with rice, salad and sushi (I chose the California roll) and my dining partners ordered a sushi combination platter and enjoyed the California rolls so much that they ordered another California roll to split. I got lots of salmon and it was subtle and delicious and I, too, loved the California roll. The salmon took a little longer to cook (maybe 8 - 10 minutes), but the sushi arrived at the table within minutes of our ordering. Prices were reasonable, service was good, server was very nice, and we liked the decor. We will eat there again next time we are in Arcata.

1  Thank Ambersantacruz