“Three trees does not a canopy tour make”
Review of North Coast Adventure Centers - CLOSED

North Coast Adventure Centers
More attraction details
Owner description: Please visit Humboldt Bay Tourism Center in Eureka, CA to book tours. We offer Zip Line Canopy Tours, The Big Rappel + Rock Climbing, and Team Building Ropes Courses.
Bowling Green, Kentucky
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Three trees does not a canopy tour make”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

One of the activities that we had promised our son and his wife while on our Pacific Northwest vacation was a canopy zipline tour. We were going to have our more relaxed time while in Arcata/Eureka, thus decided to book with a company close to this area. We booked with North Coast Adventure for their canopy tour. Good directions were provided, but when we arrived at the park, we began to wonder about the tour. Once the guide arrived, we left the two of them for their tour. We shortly received a text that the guide had confirmed that the canopy tour was a 70-foot climb up a tree, then a zipline between three trees (all shorter than the original climb), then the climb back down. The first hour was training on how to climb and how to zipline. This was NOT the tour we expected from their website. The kids left and joined us for other activities. This organization needs to practice better truth in advertising!!!

Visited June 2013
5 Thank cjpalmer88
JonOConnorEureka, Manager at North Coast Adventure Centers, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
CJ,
We are sorry your experience did not match up to your expectations. We are very proud of our hands-on, low volume Redwood Canopy Tour. All of our pictures are taken on site and our website description walks our clients through (step by step) every climb, zip, and differentiation. Good luck on your next adventure!

Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“redwood canopy experience”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I booked my son a Marine on this tour after his return from deployment. I figured a Marine would love it right?

He brought his girlfriend who was probably more excited even. They did the ground school with their guide Ari, who was very thorough and patient teaching them how Tod verbal commands and step through the experience before climbing. All along my son kept staring at the tree, nervously excited. When they asked for the first volunteer to climb she jumped right in, surprisingly she climbed 65 feet up that tree like a pro. Once she was on the platform, he started his climb, he's fit so he did t easily but tentatively. When he arrived at the first platform she zipped the first line, again smooth no hesitation. He got o the top platform and suddenly he realized he isn't as excited about heights as she is. They both did the three zips and had a blast but he had a little sweat on the brow. They were offered an extra climb into the canopy but declined, said he'd experienced enough, LMAO!!

Looks like those big beautiful Redwoods can even make a Marine feel smaller. His comments were all positive after his rappel down. He said the pegs climbing up were spaced well since he heard they had been recently enhanced. Amazing experience also caught on GoPro that I will give to NCAC. I was very pleased by the reservation assistance and the guides exerience.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank Serge H
Tustin, California
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Lost our reservation, but all ended well”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I booked the Canopy Tour online and got a PayPal confirmation so I thought the trip was booked. When we showed up, the guide had no record of us supposed to be there. There was another older couple there who was in town the whole week so they agreed to change days which worked well for us. As a side note, they had booked a photographer to take pictures of them, and that wasn't documented for them and there was no photographer, that is the main reason they agreed to change days. My advice would be to double check your reservation with them. Another negative was that my 12 year old could not do the zip lining. On their website, it says you should be 5 feet tall. My son is 12 years old and about 4'11" so I called and asked if he could still participate. The person said that wasn't a hard fast rule, it was mostly just hard to climb the pegs in the trees if you are shorter than that. We decided to take a risk and book it. My son is very active/athletic and had no problem scaling the tree. Probably did it better than all of us. The problem was that he wasn't tall enough to reach the zipline and clip himself in. Because of that, he couldn't go. The guide rapelled him down and his day was over. We basically paid $80 for him to climb a tree. I think they should have a height limit(which is taller than 5 feet) and it is a hard rule. We did have fun as a family and it was definitely a fun experience. Canopy Tour is is a good label. Don't think of this as "zip lining". We did a zip line tour in Kauai last year and those were long zips with ramps. The longest zip you do is about 50 feet. There are 3 total zips. 1 about 20, one about 40 and one about 50.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank xtianh
Eureka, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Professional and Knowledgeable”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Great staff. If you want outdoor adventures and want to know where and how - these are the folks. Also have multiple indoor climbing walls.

Visited July 2011
Cambridge, Massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Canopy tour is amazing!”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My fiance and I took a canopy tour with North Coast Adventure Centers. Treat (our guide) was awesome. We felt safe the whole time and the zip lines were exciting. The extra climb up the redwood at the end was so exhilarating! Definitely do this if you are in the area!

Visited July 2011