“unclean and overcharged”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Gerber, California
“unclean and overcharged”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Yuck describes my visit. The toliet had urine on the bottom. Windows leaked water and to top it off I was double charged it took two weeks to get refunded the money. When asking for help the desk lady responded with I don't know about everything. Keys didn't work to get in.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Subject: Worst hotel ever !!!
Hi
I wanted to let you know about the red roof inn Arcata room123
This was by far the worst place I have ever stayed!!!
There were so many things wrong that I was glad to see it was time to go home . First things first the hotel clerk was a bit off putting ! We ask for a restaurant near that had a good steak she told us we were in vegan county and said she couldn't help us.
We get to the rooms both have a dirty smell the headboards hadn't been cleaned in god knows how long you could write dump in the dust. There were holes and dirt spots I The wall where photos had hung. The room was reserves for 3 adults we we're give 2 towels , 1 wash cloth and 1 hand towel that all had holes in them. Went to the front desk to ask for more and was told they have a shortage of towels and no towels for the
Pool so if u use the pool u need to use the towel from your room. You could not open the window to air it our because there were no screens on the windows. The tv screen was off centered and had dead spot on the upper right corner. The air the on off knob just turned the air never cooled the room or came on for a minute then went right back off. They had ants in the bathroom we we got there. The blankets had holes I. Them the bedspread need to be clean it was dirty!!
My parents were in a room upstairs . There room was worse than mine there's was dirty with hair in the bathroom a dirty tub , smell and same issues with the towels.
Plus my mom called for a wake call she is till waiting . On the plus side on Friday night the young lady was very nice gave us a book with all the menus of restaurant near by. The pool area they ask the u shower before greeting in the pool the shower is out of order so are the restrooms in the pool area . The jacuzzi has chunks of plaster missing and covers missing. Most the door into the hotel had card key lock but none of them worked . The doors were propped opened so anyone could walk in. So please warn others not to stay here!!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Dawn G

Travellers are raving about these Arcata hotels

Hermiston,Or
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I will never stay at this Red Roof INN again. Most of the outside doors did not work. They had signs telling guest do not prop them open, But guest had to or they couldn't get back in unless they went into the lobby. The hall carpet was very dirty .The rooms was not I would call clean.
The front desk folks was great

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed 15 February 2014

If booking this place: STOP! This place is Disturbingly filthy. The hallway carpets needed cleaning. My room smelled like a dirty wet dog. Interior decorations very dated, even the TV, to sometime around the 1980's Outside grounds unkempt, weeds and grass in flower beds were knee high. I'm not sure what the management is doing, but clearly they are not taking care of this motel. I got wet from a heavy rain storm because I could not use my room key to access any of the outside doors, front desk said that it works but that you have to play with it....sure. There seemed to be creepy people living in this place with dogs everywhere. Red Roof should be ashamed to put their name on these premises. Somebody, GET IN THERE AND CLEAN UP THIS PLACE before it is too late.

Room Tip: Don't go here at all.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Daniel V
Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I arrived in Arcata at the Red Roof Inn exhausted and I just wanted to go to sleep. As I walked in I was greeted by a friendly staff member who said "We've been expecting you!" I was surprised. "Expecting me?" I said. "Yes we have your room all ready for you." I brought my dog with me and she told me there was no extra charge for him. She even gave him a treat! After quickly being checked in I walked to my room. The room was clean and smelled fresh. The bed was comfortable. I fell asleep while watching Netfix using the free Wi-Fi. In the morning I used the workout room and then went for a swim in the heated pool. After I went back to my room and I called the front desk to ask for a late check out. The person on the phone was very accommodating. I think his name was Greg. When I checked out he asked me if I'd like to take some coffee for the road and I did. The coffee was really good. Organic I think. Over all my stay was great and I will definetly be staying here again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

i stayed here a few times during my stay in california, however on my final stay i gave my $100 deposit as normal and when checking out 2 days later the receptionist forgot to give me my deposit back. i then realised 3 days later id walked off without it so called the red roof and spoke to a receptionist who said her manager had agreed to send my deposit to my home address. however 2 weeks later i hadnt received my deposit, so i rang again and the same receptionist answered and said she thought my deposit had been dealt with and sent back out to me so she would have a word with the manager again. since then i rang a couple more times and i wasnt getting a straight answer until today when i finally got to speak to the manager herself and she denied any recollection of me and me having my deposit back. i spoke to her very calmly and rationally but after 5 minutes of trying to come to an arrangement she very rudely decided to put the phone down on me. there is obviously a serious lack of communication between the staff here or she knew all about my situation but probably decided to keep the deposit for herself. i was going to return here for a visit next year but after this incident theres no chance i will give her my custom, such a shame as the rest of the staff were lovely. im sure im not the first person this has happened to!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank vickyhill01
Redding, California
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Red Rood inn in Arcata California overnight commencing October 24. 2013. We were most disappointed. Although I am a RedCard holder, I was offered no free bottled water at check-in. When I asked about the water I was told that they had no water left; they had received only a few bottles. Our room was very dirty and the heater was extremely noisy. The television was a very old CRT type not LCD as advertised. There was no coffee ready in the front lobby; we had to ask twice to have coffee made. Outside, the garbage cans were over-flowing. We have stayed at Red Roof numerous times previously, and never encountered any of the above problems. Quite a disappointment!

Room Tip: Carries the Red Roof sign but not up to Red Roof standards!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jennifer G, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Arcata, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for your honesty. On behalf of myself and the staff we apologize greatly that your experience was not what it should have been. We have been going through some changes, hopefully all for the better, and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future to make your stay a comfortable one.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Ramada Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#10 of 21 in Eureka

Been to Red Roof Inn Arcata? Share your experiences!