“If you don't mind 'iffy' service, this is your motel!”

Red Roof Inn Arcata
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
FB, California
“If you don't mind 'iffy' service, this is your motel!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We checked in on Friday night. The room was in good condition (sorta- if you ignore the dried soap on the ledge over the bathtub and the dirty door) and newly remodeled. The halls hadn't been rehabbed yet, and were really deplorable. The too long door pieces from the hall were lifted, but not cut off- leaving a 6" piece of filthy carpet sticking up against your door- and you had to be careful not to trip on it.

When I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, the toilet had no water, and try as I might, I couldn't get it to flow, so I had to wake my friend and get him to fiddle with it, and after 5-6 minutes he got it running again. I wouldn't have woke him if it had only been #1 but noooooooo!

The second night, we came in about 7:30pm only to find our room had not been touched. After a call to the desk, we finally got some towels. The third day, I went shopping for a couple of hours in the late afternoon and my friend took a nap., When I got back- no service again!!! The maid said she knocked, but he didn't hear her.

The pool and hot tub were out of order. The last night, the hall was blocked off so we couldn't even get to the ice machine without going all the way around the outside of the building.

So- 3 nights, no service. No pool, no hot tub, just a room.... they don't have a restaurant, breakfast, or anything. It was fairly quiet, altho the kids next door put the deadbolt out and used it as a doorstop so they didn't get locked out- slamming it again and again and making a hell of a racket at 9:30 at night. And since their door is 6" from my door, I couldn't go to sleep. So- there you have it.....

Room Tip: You have to pay extra to get a small refrigerator and microwave in your room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I traveled to Red Wood National park last year with my two teenagers. We stayed there for one night, great place as good as and comfortable as of a 4 star hotel for an inn so far off, friendly staff, very decent breakfast and great price. Very Easy to find right off the Red wood Nation park road, it is about 45 minute north of Ave of Giants. Your best bet to visit the Ave of Giant on the way before getting to the hotel. Avoid driving at night.

Room Tip: Did not use the swimming pool but it is available.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The location & accommodating pets may be this hotels best attributes....We had a major water leak we had to walk through during the weekend we were at this hotel...They did not offer to make any special discounts or accommodations for this inconvenience No breakfast available and the pool & hot tub were closed. As previously noted the location & being pet friendly saved the weekend...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kay932

Travellers are raving about these Arcata hotels

Arcata, California
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I worked here for ONE DAY! They had me work 11 hours and it was absolutely awful! I would NEVER get a room there! They don't have a washing machine and there is an empty motel room that is filled with piles of clean and dirty linens (mixed together) that the housekeepers have to go through and smell to see if they are clean and have to figure out the size. The towels they had me put in the rooms were so gross i couldn't believe it. I know that they are redoing the place but it is seriously CHAOS and the most unorganized business that i have seen. My manager hardly spoke english and treated me with so much disrespect. She also kept accusing me of stealing things of hers that she had just misplaced. I still didn't even get paid.... F*** this place! I hope it burns! Don't stay there and don't work there!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank thrasharoni
Gilroy, CA
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I should have heeded the reviews and booked our reservation somewhere else, but all other hotels in the area were completely booked for the weekend of the HSU graduation. We reserved three rooms for ourselves and family.

The Red Roof Inn was allegedly remodeled, and upon walking into the lobby we thought that was true. When I said, "this is nice", referring to the lobby, the receptionist winced. Now I know why.

1. The hallways outside of the lobby were covered in debris. The carpet was torn up in front of the doors to the rooms. The doors themselves were scratched and dented, and there was a note about the number of beds scotch-taped to each door.
2. The handicapped parking spaces were blocked with rolls of carpet and garbage cans. This was an issue for my disabled father who could not get up the ramp with his walker.
3. The pool was closed for no apparent reason, and no ETA on opening it was given.
4. Inside the room, the carpet was new, but had apparently never been vacuumed. Cobwebs hung from the ceiling, and there were cigarette butts on the window sill.
5. Our room did not have any towels.

We decided to make do, since we had no choice with all other hotels being booked for the graduation weekend. It got worse...

That night, at about 9:30 p.m., someone began running power tools in the hallway. My husband got out of bed and got dressed, went out to tell them this was unacceptable, and went to the lobby to demand we get some money back on our room. This is still ongoing.

The second night, we returned from the graduation to find that our room had not been cleaned. We called the front desk and demanded that it be taken care of right away. Someone cleaned our room while we were at dinner.

When we checked out, a different receptionist told us that if they'd just had two more days, everything would have been taken care of. Unbelievable! I now see from prior reviews that problems like these have been going on for months, so I don't believe that they are just behind schedule on their remodeling. They have fundamental hotel management issues. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton Inn or the Howard Johnson across the street. They are both much cleaner and qui...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We booked the Red Roof Inn at nearly the last minute for HSU Commencement Weekend via hotels.com. Every other hotel in Arcata was completely full and we were surprised to find rooms available here--in retrospect, this should have been a red flag. The Red Roof Inn corporate site claims this property has been "renovated", but this is a truly breathtaking lie. The building and grounds are dilapidated. The hallway walls and room doors looked like they have been dinged and scratched and gouged for decades without being patched or painted. The carpeting is pulled up from the hotel corridors exposing worn carpet pad throughout. There was standing water (with floating cigarette butts) at the base of the interior stairs leading to the upper floor, and the entire lower floor smelled like mold and mildew. The room doors had little paper signs taped on them saying "two beds", "one king bed", etc.. In our case, the signs were wrong, and we had to change rooms twice in order to get a king bed per our reservations. The people at the front desk had no idea how many beds were in the rooms of their own hotel! When we finally got in to our room, we found the walls covered with construction dust. The "furniture" in the room looked like it had been purchased from a distress sale. Our bed mattress was sprung and sagged in the middle. There was an old coffee maker on the desk, but no coffee! The pool and hot tub were "not working" (if read through the other reviews you'll see that people were complaining about pool not working months ago). When my daughter and her husband checked into their room, one of the beds was soaked in urine! And get this: the management charged top commencement weekend rates for the rooms! As if this was a decent place to stay. Amazing chutzpah!

I do a lot of traveling for business and have had to stay in mediocre accommodations from time to time, but this is by far the worst hotel experience I have had. Ever. Stay as far away from this dump as you can. As for me, I will never, ever stay in a Red Roof Inn again anywhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Oregon
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here because we got a really good rate. The person checking us in was extremely slow. We had to take a seat and wait for him to do whatever it was he had to do to check us in. I have a difficult time walking due to a worn our knee. He could see I had a difficult time walking, and he gave us a room that was so far from the front desk, it was unbelievable. The key didn't work when we got to our room, so I was left standing in pain while my husband made to long trek back to the from desk to get a key that worked. The lock for door that went to the outside from the hallway we were in was not working so someone put a rock in the bottom of the doorway so there was access from that door instead of having to go through the main lobby and all the way to the end of the hall and then to your room ( we had our dog with us, since it was pet friendly). There was lots of homeless people hanging out around the place (not that I have anything against the homeless) including one who was inside the lobby who was trying to get money from us. There was no amenities here. I am willing to spend a little bit more and get a much better room. I will never stay here again nor will I recommend anyone else staying here. They had a sign that said newly remodeled. I can't believe that as it didn't look like a place that was newly remodeled. When we got to our room they had signs saying the pictures were available for sale due to remodeling, like someone would buy them.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Ramada Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#10 of 21 in Eureka

Been to Red Roof Inn Arcata? Share your experiences!