“DISGUSTING! FILTHY!”

Red Roof Inn Arcata
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Reviewed 14 July 2014

DO NOT BELIEVE ONLINE photos on Company website.

We came here very late and seriously were so exhausted. We got in our room and it was filthy! Everything was disgusting. First, we got in the room and it was nasty. There was a smell, it was so musty. We wiped everything down and it was gross. I used over 10 Clorox wipes.

Things that were nasty, where do I start? Here is a list
1: you had to really jiggle the door to open it up or lock it up.
2: baseboards were dirty and some of them were missing.
3: carpeting is filthy. DO NOT walk with bare feet in this place!
4: mold on the walls
5: filthy blankets on the sheets. We had to remove them to sleep
6: FILTHY, SMELLY bathroom. I wiped the floor with Clorox wipes and it turned brown from the dirt. The shower curtain smelled so musty that I had to wash it in the tub so that the musty smell would not get worse when we showered. There were hairs in the shower. There was a lip on the shower wall and there was actual mildew layered on there. Mildew that Clorox wipes could not scrub off.
7: breakfast claim is a lie. There were 2 cereals, bread with butter and jam, nasty donuts, milk, juice, coffee
8: paint colors did not watch all over the wall
9: patches of plaster in room
10: outlets did not work
11: dirty worn down carpet throughout the whole building

After cleaning room I feel like they should have paid me and not me pay them to stay. DO not stay here.

Only good thing front desk lady was helpful and very nice. She was good at her job.

Room Tip: Great tip to get a great room, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LinneGQ
Kamlesh N, Manager at Red Roof Inn Arcata, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

I thank you very much for the time taken to give your comments. I am very sorry as we could not meet your expectations. But I would like to inform yo that we have recently changed new carpet in our property and have replaced all mattresses in all rooms. Your feedback is valuable and we will retrain our housekeeping staff. Regarding breakfast, we are going to include some items like waffles and fruit from 7/20/2014. I hope that we will meet your expectations during your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Arcata

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were traveling through back from Brookings, OR on the Sunday night after 4th of July weekend and decided that we were too tired to drive all the way back to Redding. Stopped and checked prices at every hotel in town and everyone wanted $109 plus tax or higher and since it was already almost 8pm and we planned on checking out by 7am the next morning, we wanted to find something a bit cheaper. The Red Roof Inn quoted us $75 plus tax and it did not look too bad from the lobby. The room on the other hand was another story! Was supposed to be a "non-smoking room" but reeked terribly of stale cigarette smoke.....bed was not very comfortable and the carpet seemed dirty (I was scared to remove shoes!) I heard door slamming and noise from the hall ALL NIGHT long and barely slept 3 hours......lost of "shady looking" people hanging out in the parking lot and passing through it too.....which of course the hotel has no control of, but it just made me even more uneasy!

The only plus was the girl at the counter who checked us in that evening was really sweet and friendly. Poor thing I am sure she gets a lot of complaints! Anyways........lesson learned!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Interesting situation here, but my experience was not as offputting as some of the others reported here. The impression is of a property that was once top-notch, but is slipping. Overall, the hotel appears clean and modern, but if you look closely you can see where corners are being cut. The room was comfortable, but there were patches of paint on the wall in a slightly different color. There was no trash basket in the room, so I just made a pile in the corner. There was a single orange Reese's Piece in the middle of the otherwise freshly swept carpet. There was apparently only one staff person in the hotel in the morning -- she had to go back and forth between the front desk checking people out and the breakfast area, restocking the bread. And she barely spoke English. The breakfast was minimal, just bread and coffee, cereal and juice. Oh, and hard-boiled eggs. The appearance of the landscaping and the lobby were very good, and this may lead you to have high expectations of the place. Adjust your expectations to those appropriate for a budget property, and you will enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Kamlesh N, Manager at Red Roof Inn Arcata, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Arcata Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

I can assure you that corrective measures will be taken to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future. At Red Roof, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Red Roof the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Very truly yours,
Kamlesh Naik

Red Roof Inn - Arcata

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Oh my and to thing I heard a commercial saying the Red Roof Inn was a great place to stay. The Lobby is pretty. The end of anything good to say. Heres the list of bad. We are assigned a room and begin walking down a hallway with disgusting carpet and scratched walls with holes in them . We look for an elevator and realize there is only one set of stairs which we go towards and they have no carpet on them its been torn up we walk up them and there is a man at the top of the stairs smoking a joint! Inside! We walk past him along with another couple with a small child to which my husband tells them that smell is not coming from us.. we find our room number slide our keycard open the
door....to another couple already in there . We head to the lobby Where and the girl cant figure out how that happened! She runs and checks out another room personally comes back says sorry that happened and we are off back down the yucky hallway again. We turn down another hallway and there are two men laying out flat down a few doors. I told my husband swipe the card fast and ushered our children in. The good news the tv worked and distracted the kids from asking any questions about what just happened. Then my husband had to leave as this was a family reunion ordeal and he had to take some stuff to a family member. I thought I heard someone knock on my door and opened it to a man sitting by the outside of my door. When my Husband returned he said we were staying somewhere else the following day. The walls were painted different shades of red. A mirror thing was broken and simply painted over and there were holes everywhere in the walls. Ill end this with beware of the coffee pot the back part for water was filled with mold.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank dayday28
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

So it was the first place I saw pulling into Arcata from the north along the spectacular Redwood Hwy. I suggest you drive on a few hundred yards past the mall area and go to one of the other hotel/motels. The first room they assigned me after I registered in the evening had obviously just been used for "something." The bathtub had water in it, the towel was damp but refolded as if the room had been cleaned and there was a long black hair in the sink. Yuck. So I got another room on the second floor (no elevator). Better but no refrigerator and gave me a birds eye view of the parking lot action. I think there may be long term stays here, and heard a woman screaming from a room down the hall, her stuff and been thrown into the corridor and the police were called. The hotel desk clerk advised me to stay in the room! Breakfast was inedible stale muffins and bad coffee. So if you like a little domestic strife and some police action with your stay, c'mon down!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank travelhoundnyc
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here one night.......saw some guys sneeking in a window on the bottom floor and reported it to the front desk, our room was on second floor but there were no elevators and had to carry everything up the staircase, the indoor pool sounded great but the water was as hot as a jacuzzi and my kids had to get out cuz it's was not fun, our AC did not work in our room and the window only opened a few inches, so we switched rooms, the AC didn't work either and had to sleep with window open (hearing loud men in parking lot---ahhhh!), free breakfast supposedly until 9 am but when we got there at 8:30, there was no coffee and a few slices of white bread ( seriously!?!?) and a few hard boiled eggs, wehad to go to McDonalds instead, there was a long line at the desk and customers were getting crabby, when we spoke to the front desk about our horrible visit they only gave us 15 percent discount and a coupon to come back....we will NOT be going back!! Horrible experience!!! We were on a nice family trip coming back from the Redwoods and we booked 4 rooms......never again!!! Don't stay here....it's deceiving because the front desk area is quite nice and the prices are good. Sorry folks!!!!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay, I would recommend second floor as we saw some guys sneeking in a window on th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Melody V
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We decided to give this place a try. The lobby is very nice and welcoming like a trick to suck you in. Just look at the unkept grounds around the outside of the hotel. There is trash, weeds and uncared for landscaping you might not notice at first glance. The same is true of the inside of the hotel. Our room was a mix of new, old, and dirty. It had new carpet, dresser, tv, and tub with surround. However it had ancient linens, toilet, vanity, and bathroom tiling. Whatever remodeling was done was low budget to fix the worst offences each room must have had before. The was a new microwave but the plate inside was covered with mold. The was some ones breadcrust left on the windowsill. The carpet seemed clean but the furniture did not. The window was broken. The hallways outside the rooms were in horrid shape. The paint marked up, the wallpaper bubbling, baseboards and moulding beat up pretty good. Overall it looks like no one takes good care of the place. And we had a room with two full size beds and got a total of two body towels and washcloth in it. Really? All of us, 2 adults and 3 kids are gonna share one washcloth and two body towels? Our bed linens were pretty threadbare and old which matched the woreout matresses. The price was cheap but the place is still rundown.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Krause81055
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#12 of 21 in Eureka

Been to Red Roof Inn Arcata? Share your experiences!