“Gross”

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Santa Rosa, California
“Gross”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Yes it has one of the best locations in town (with the exception of the Arcata Hotel which has THE best location) however it is gross. I stayed because I wanted to be able to walk to town and up to the school, but if you have a car go up to Giuntoli and stay in something that is modestly modern and not GROSS.
This place stinks, the beds spreads look like the have never been cleaned....just gross. If I were here with my wife and son you couldn't pay me to bring them into this rat hole.
nuff said.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Element1519
FairwindsManagement, Manager at Fairwinds Motel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
We are sorry that anyone feels the bedspread at our motel was gross, while we always try to keep the cleanliness of our bedding materials by regularly washing it. On the other hand, some people has tried to steal our bedding materials, including one around the time this review was made, and fortunately our staff/housekeeper noticed it and told the would be thief who looked like a hitchhiker type traveller to put the bedspread back. We always stand by our quality and try to keep it high, so if anyone found a problem with it, they could just the staff on duty to check it.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 20 January 2012

After reading reviews I never thought I would stay there. However it is walking distance to HSU so I decided to give it a whirl. I must say it was not bad. The room was clean, the front desk was helpful and I didn't encounter the noise I read about. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Bglad
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The hotel is old but well maintained and quiet. The amenities are ok and there isn't really anything special offered, but the hotel is a good place to stay if you are visiting for a couple days and will be out of the hotel most of the time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Joyride0011
Monrovia, California
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This motel is nothing special. I booked here because I was dropping my daughter off at HSU and needed a place to spend the night. I just wanted a hotel within walking distance of HSU and inexpensive. The Fairwinds met those requirements. This hotel represents very basic hotel living. Older motel, clean but could use some paint and replacement linens. The room was quiet. The bed was comfortable. Walking distance to downtown Arcata. I got exactly what I expected - a motel room. Staff in the front office was friendly. They had coffee on. If I were touristing or staying for more than just one night, I wouldn't stay here. But it worked for me for the one night I was there.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Marklaw
Temecula, California
Reviewed 24 August 2011

This is our second visit to Arcata this year, the first time in April we stayed at another place at the edge of the town where there are several motels and a shopping strip nearby for the preview at HSU. It was a nice stay then, but during the first stay we saw this little place right next to HSU that we didn't know before because it didn't show up on the online search that we used. We were a little hesitant when we saw the reviews about this place but decided to try anyway because of the strategic location, and it exceed our expectations in most aspects. The room is reasonably clean and cozy, the staff are cheerful and helpful and its right in town so we can just walk everywhere. Overall our stay was a delight and it will be our first choice the next time we come to visit our daughter.

Room Tip: The street in front of the motel is very busy during the day so close the windows if you are sensiti...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jrlc66
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Walls make no difference- hear every noise, conversation, party. Nestled between 2 freeways - tons of traffic noise. Pot smoking in all upstairs rooms I walked by. Only room available in town or would move asap.

Clerk at desk was delightful - best part of stay.

• Stayed August 2011

Travellers are raving about these Arcata hotels

Grass Valley, California
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Small and old, but clean. We were visiting Humboldt State and it is literally right next door so you don't have to park on campus! It is next to the freeway and noisy, but late at night it quiets down quite a bit. It has WiFi in the rooms and almost no outlets in the room--we had 3 total and none of them close to the desk for the computer.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank GVTraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hotel Arcata
Ramada Arcata
Ramada Arcata
#7 of 10 in Arcata
Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn

Been to Fairwinds Motel? Share your experiences!