“Any port in the storm.”
Review of Fairwinds Motel

Fairwinds Motel
Fairwinds Motel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed here in September 2008 and thought it was dated, but fine. Even though the reviews since were somewhat negative, I thought it would be fine again. Eh. Seems like they haven't updated anything since then. The linens looked clean, but very old. The thing that got me was the smell - I opened the door and it smelled like a mix of smoke and...something else. (It was a non-smoking room.) I didn't want to find out what the something else was, so I went to another motel. It's a shame, because this could be a really great place if they just fixed it up a bit - do a deep cleaning of the carpet, bathroom and get some new linens. Front desk manager is nice.

In summary, if you want very budget lodgings, walking distance to downtown, and you're not very discerning - this is the place for you. In a pinch, it would work. As for me, I headed on down the road.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrea W

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My wife and I just stayed 2 days to attend for our daughter graduation last weekend. While the motel is old, it seems to be well maintained and reasonably clean, so we enjoyed our stay there. I don't understand why some of the reviews that I saw was so bad and nasty, because during our stay everything looked OK and not as bad as the reviews said.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This place is original retro--- everything is ancient.
You seriously get less than what you pay for. The beds are old, it's loud as anything with the highway on one side and young folk going through the dumpsters at all hours.

The best I can say about this place is it provides a roof over your head. You could save money just by asking a local if you could stay on their couch. They would probably provide better accommodations.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrsZimm
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The Fairwinds should have said farewell years ago. Where do I begin? The only pro is the proximity to HSU. Unfortunately the freeway is on one side and a main Arcata through fare on the other...which means bring ear plugs.

The rooms smell like an old karate studio...a mixture of stale sweat and stinky feet. Bring your flip flops because the tile in the shower is covered in black mold and the carpet is disgusting. I could feel every coil and spring in the tired old bed. My daughter made the mistake of looking under the bed and was greeted with a stiff pair of men's underwear. And what kind of motel/hotel has an ice machine that charges 25 cents for a bucket of ice?

My advice: save your money and skip this dive.

Room Tip: keep driving
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank sandybeach818
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had.
The rooms are moldy smelling and hot. The heater would not turn off. The manager's solution to this was to turn off the pilot light and offer to put a fan in the window.
The lights did not work. The bathroom was outdated and downright unclean.

Do not stay here under any circumstances.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mike F
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I had my daughter and niece with me and booked the hotel because it's in walking distance HSU. While checking in there were several ladies in the back room cursing up a storm. Totally unprofessional. I should have walked out, but I didn't. The room smelled grimy even though the window was cracked open. It was cold so we tried turning the heater on but it wouldn't work. The shower was disgusting and the comforters are really out dated. After 10 minutes I was not going to stay there. As I was walking out I looked back to make sure I had everything and saw two used condoms under the bed. GROSS!!!!!! Don't stay here....it's a rat hole.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 78traveler78
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We have stayed at the Fairwinds twice now, and have found it to be clean and comfortable: as in good beds, clean bathrooms, EXCELLENT shower, and a very kind and helpful staff. Yes, it is a bit run-down, but where it counts, things were sparkling and working well.
Since our vehicle broke down en route to Arcata, the part about walking distance to downtown is absolutely true; I also observed a number of local buses go by, so I could have used them as well if I had wanted. Several sweet cafes and restaurants, plus a nice grocery store are all within a couple of blocks. And, Al is a prince among concierges or managers, whatever you call that job; his kindness and easygoing nature made our stay more relaxed.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank nadjacrowfeather
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hotel Arcata
Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area
Ramada Arcata
Ramada Arcata
#8 of 10 in Arcata

Been to Fairwinds Motel? Share your experiences!