“Everything Sub Par”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Bay Area
“Everything Sub Par”
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Our Room had many things wrong with it. The water faucet on the sink didn't work unless you pulled super hard and then it splashed everywhere. There was someone's leftover Chinese in the frig when we arrived in the room. Nothing smelled fresh. The bed linens were old, yukky. We had requested extra pillows but they were not in the room. The alarm clock machine went off in the middle of the night (we hadn't touched it). Then they had some kind of ongoing power failure/surges at 2:00am which also kept us awake. To top it all off, in the morning the maid parked her cleaning cart right out in front of our room while she stood there, blocking our room view (of the parking lot)making us feel like it was time for us to go! It wasn't, although we couldn't wait to get out of there. The hotel needs serious upgrading, remodelling and a complete overhaul of its management and employees. Way over priced for an extremely sub par experience.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Mushu2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Grabs, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 October 2009

What a gem. I have stayed in many BW's over the years and this one takes a top spot. I was impressed by everything from the greeting to the checkout. helpful friendly staff, comfortable and clean rooms and then the price. I dont think there is better value in the whole of N.California. Stay here, you wont regret it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Buellrider
Nevada
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Stayed just one night on the way to Newport, OR. Easy to find, nice looking outside. Definitely pet friendly, a large grass yard on one side of the property for animal walks. I didn't hear the noise some referred to, it was so quiet I opened the bathroom window for some background noise. Rooms were what you'd expect, hard mattresses but not uncomfortable (I like 'em that way anyway). Not a horrible area but not a great choice for food close to the hotel unless you like fast food. Pool and hot tub, free breakfast with fruit, cereals, eggs, coffee, and make-them-yourself waffles. There was an attendant there and she was very pleasant. The front office staff I spoke with were unusually pleasant and talkative, very nice. Overall, a nice stay.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CarsonCityMc
where i don't want to be
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I just returned from four lovely days in Arcata at the Best Western. The hotel was a good value, but at the same time it provided everything we needed or wanted in a quality stay. The continental breakfast was good and filling, with lots of fresh fruit, coffee, toast and even make-em-yourself Belgian waffles. The bed was comfy, the room was clean and pretty quiet, though the motel surrounding a parking lot arrangement can make for a bit of parking lot noise. I would stay here again for sure. The people were all very friendly, especially the lady who ran the breakfast area. I loved my trip there so much, go to Stone Lagoon and Fern Canyon while you are there if you can!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank woodslandslady
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 17 July 2009

Great front desk service and several nice touches. Breakfast, nice pool, very dog friendly. But, loud, bright in the room at night, hard bed with old-style linens (shams and comforters that probably don't get washed with every stay).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I don't think we would stay here again. Room was clean, smaller furnished with older furniture. Mattress was HARD, towels/linens ok. Requested non-smoking room, which we got, but was next door to a smoking room, they left the door open and their room air was blue from the heavy smoking. I have asthma and had some problems because we had the air on, but, it pulled air from the outside therefore had the smell of smoke in our room. Manage need to make a change and not have smoking and non-smoking rooms next to each other. Breakfast was OK, but not much to choose from.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Stayed with this motel recently.

It was a stopover on a trip. Motel wasn't bad for a next-to-the-freeway establishment.

Problem was on returning home and checking my online statement, I have discovered that they placed a $25 larger charge on my card than the agreed-upon nightly rate, for which I have a receipt.

When I called the motel, I was told that they routinely add an "incidental" fee of this amount or larger, and that it will drop off my card in a day or 2.

I was not informed at check-in that this fee would be added to my nightly rate, and am not happy about it. It may have made a difference in deciding whether to stay at this motel. I definitely do not care for the deceitful way in which this was done. No more "Best Westerns" for us.

As an aside, after a 12 hour car ride to get here, we were looking forward to a swim. No dice. Pool was "out of service".

Ugh.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MauiGiz1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area
Hotel Arcata
Hotel Arcata
#5 of 10 in Arcata

Been to Best Western Arcata Inn? Share your experiences!