“Reeked of cigarettes!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Motel 6 Arcata - Humboldt University
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
“Reeked of cigarettes!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

It was nice that the rooms had been remodeled, but our nonsmoking room absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke. It was so bad that I immediately got a sore throat from the smoke residue. When I told the front desk they said that the rooms smell because people smoke outside the rooms with the doors open. Well how about having a designated smoking area away from the rooms and enforcing a non smoking policy outside the rooms. Housekeeping certainly had to have smelled it when they cleaned the room before our arrival, and they should have done something to get at least some of the smell out.
Also when I checked in after having booked our room 1 year in advance I was told that I would be charged almost double the rate that I had booked because the rooms had been remodeled and it was graduation weekend so the rates were higher. Fortunately I had my receipt from when I booked online, and the manager was called and agreed to honor my rate. The rate I booked at should be the rate I get - period.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
YUBA CITY , CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Tom Bodett where are you? what a disappointing stay...hadn't stayed in a Motel 6 in years and being the last motel with rooms available for the weekend in Ft.Bragg, CA . First off our room wasn't ready upon arrival. We did make reservations on Wednesday. We had to ask for towels. The carpet floor was filthy ... what more needs to be said... will never stay there again !!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank giestecke

Travellers are raving about these Arcata hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

The front desk staff were friendly and tried to be helpful but that was the only good thing about this location. It was so bad here we ended up checking out and finding another place to stay. I know it's motel 6 and I'm not expecting much when I stay here but this place is terrible, even for a motel 6. Our non-smoking room smelled awful. The smell upon entering the room was so bad we asked to change rooms but we were told that was the last room and they had just cleaned some of the carpets in the rooms so they didn't have as many rooms available. We were given a spray to deal with the odor which didn't help much. Went to turn on the a/c in the room and that didn't work either. That's when we checked out. Room felt and looked dirty. The whole property had a very bad vibe. Homeless people and questionable people seem to have taken over this area. If possible, I would advise skipping Arcata and Eureka and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Winchester99
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Arcata - Humboldt University, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear Winchester99 - Thank you for sharing your review. We sincerely apologize for the odor and cleanliness issues you encountered in your room. These issues are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we kindly encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
L.a.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I could hear people talking outside the room just as though the door was open, people were walking around outside early in the morning and the interment didn't work (they did refund our Internet charge) the staff was very friendly, the grounds were well kept. Would have liked a bathtub.

Room Tip: If you want a bath tub ask for a room with one. The rooms by the stairs are the noisy ones as the so...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Owen B
AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

I like the Motel 6 chain but this one is not good. Good location but the room smelled so bad we had to open windows to air it out.
I think the carpet was the problem, old damp looking and STINKY.

I took a photo of the bathroom sink to send to the corporate headquarters, old and impossible to get clean. Disgusting!
But the big surprise was a clean new shower and clean toilet.

They were dog friendly but I don't think I can stay in this place again: NOT CLEAN.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Valencia, California, Usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Needed a last minute hotel room in Arcata and this was my option since the nice Best Western was booked. I have stayed over the years at other Motel 6 hotels which were fine so no concerns. Front desk staff was nice, polite, efficient. And then everything went downhill from there. Property is clearly older and looks rough around edges. Non smoking room smelled. Bed looked already used and tired. Carpet was filthy and crunchy. Bathroom looked newer and clean. Fellow guests were very scary. Hanging out in parking lot smoking and drinking. One guest had two large and powerful pit bulls in his room. Just not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank JRL1108
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

The place is bad if not awful. We got a room with two queen beds but the room smelt so bad, that we did'nt want to stay there.
We got another room without problems from the staff. It also had a smell but from som cleaning chemicals so we had to live with that as we arrived late after a long days journey.
There was wifi in the room but the charged us dollars 2.99 pr day pr device. The wifi worked pnly for ''the day'' because in the morning you had to pay another 2.99 to go online.
The carpet on the room was full of stains and so bad looking that we did not want to walk around without shoes.
Do not go there, it's not worth the money spent.

• Stayed March 2013