“A little pricey for what you get” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 Arcata

Super 8 Arcata
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
“A little pricey for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012 via mobile

There was nothing awful about this hotel, but I probably would bot stay there again. There are other hotels in the same price range that are better quality. The rooms were in need of updating.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dallas, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed here because it allows dogs, and my very clean, very well trained therapy dog is with me. The first room they put me in reeked of cat pee. They must have had a male cat that sprayed everywhere, and they haven't cleaned it properly. (Or just ban the cats!) In our new room, I put down towels before I would let her lie on the floor because it's so dirty here. Carpets are filthy. Used, crumpled, dirty napkins & other old trash (old because covered in dust) stuffed between desk & wall. Obvious clumps of dark dust clumped onto the carpet in corners and near the beds. Grime on all surfaces. Phone completely coated with brown, greasy something or other. I sprayed everything with industrial strength cleaner & still tried not to touch anything. Chairs dark brown/black where dirty people have sat on the backs. I put towels on everything before sitting or touching. If I didn't have my sweet puppy with me, I would never have stayed. I saw the one maid at the trash can right by the back door, digging down into it with her bare arms to pull out bottles and cans to recycle. While I'm happy that she recycles, I'm concerned about the additional filth she got all over her arms & uniform in the process because that thing was full and like everything else in the hotel, covered with old, gross-looking grime. It's also where people have to throw their bags of dog poop. One bright spot is that the place does not smell like antiseptic or perfumes, and other than the cat--pee-smelling room, it doesn't smell like an old dirty hotel. I've stayed in a lot of Super 8's. They're usu basic, but clean & fine for driving trips. This one is absolutely horrible, and I doubt I would stay here for even one night passing through even if I didn't have my dog with me. Some of the other customers are also truly scary looking and horrible smelling--dirty, unkempt, smelly (like haven't showered for days) butt crack showing, stringy unwashed hair. I know the hotel isn't directly responsible for that, but it was one other thing that made this a horrible stay. The furniture is falling apart. Lamp shades have been violently torn/cut by people, and something horrible smeared onto them. Lamps covered in greasy-looking dust. Chair wobbles so badly it may break completely apart soon. Bed sagging, springs sprung, pillows thin & dirty (I brought my own).

Room Tip: If you still insist on staying here, check the room out before you bring all your luggage up. You m...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Arisu M

Travellers are raving about these Arcata hotels

richmand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

The staff was courteous and helpful.The facility is relatively old and the rooms are well appointed, noise level is not bad. The breakfast was ok grade for this kind of motel. In-room coffee was actually better than that in the breakfast room.There is not much seating in the breakfast room

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
los angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

We would stay here again on our way through arcata, but if we were to stay for more than a night we would pick some where a bit nicer, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable even if the room was dated. The people there are very friendly and their continental breakfast was very good, coffee not so much, but they had very tasty orange juice. This was our second stay in arcata, part of town is really nice with all the old houses and there are a lot of neat antique type stores at the plaza to browse and some very good places to eat.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

When traveling by myself I usually stay at Super 8 because of the expectation of resonable accomidations and resonable room rates.
This place is the worst Super 8 I've ever stayed at in any state!
The room was run down with a hard as a board bed, not firm, HARD!; and things like two pieces of wood holding up the broken lounge chair in the room. The shower curtain track was barely hanging on it had been pulled down and screwed in in so many different locations above the tub. The entire room was in dire need of new paint with splashes and stains ON THE WALL! and the hall carpet of the second floor had large stained areas. Blood? Vomit? Don't even want to know!
I expect that this place offers a "continental breakfast" to keep corporate happy, but why bother! Offering only two types of cold cereal and nothing much else, and with a McDonalds right next door I doubt if many even use the breakfast at the place. I didn't the two nights I was there.
I do agree with all the other reviews I've read about this place and area, it IS the homeless hangout. Last time I stayed in the area, always for family functions in that area, it was at another motel down the street. The entire area isn't the best if you're trying to get tourism to your area! anyone from the town reading this?
I think it was lucky for me that it was torrential rain during my stay and that probably kept some of the "locals" from messing with my vehicle in the back wide open and unfenced parking lot for the motel. I'd say STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: If you stay there, upper floors for some quiet. But mainly stay someplace else until the company upd...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Beautiful Sunny Southern California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I'm checking out this morning, Thank God!
1. The photo on the add for this hotel is Not a photo of this building.
2. The lobby where I checked in was kind of crumby and filled with the attendants friends watching TV so I should have known better.
3. The First Floor reeks of smoke and animals (Pet Friendly is great but you have to clean up!)
4. The Second Floor (2 floors total) is smoky and dirty.
5. The rooms are Basic, Dirty, in Need of Renovation.
The Super 8 Chain needs to revoke their franchise.
I am so happy to be getting out of here!

Room Tip: Go Elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Sacto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Read the title, that is all you need to know. But really I never felt safe, there were literally people doing drugs twenty feet from the back door in full view, there were people in the hallway making noise at 3am, and the workers were indifferent to the dark reality of the hotel. The fridge was molding, the windows were molding, the shower had mildew, and I don't want to know what was hiding in the carpet and bed. If you are familiar with Arcata (I lived there for 14 years), you would realize that yes, this is to be expected in a county of lazy, disgusting people. They have low standards for their lives and this shows in all that they do.

P.S. Its cheap.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KCRSacto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Ramada Arcata
#5 of 10 in Arcata
Blue Lake Casino Hotel
Blue Lake Casino Hotel
#1 of 1 in Blue Lake

Been to Super 8 Arcata? Share your experiences!