“Ideal family winter get-away”
other travellers have booked this property
Wrap-Around Deck with BBQ & Jacuzzi Spa; view of seasonal creek, pine trees and private backyard
See you soon at Sierra Zen Cabin Private Jacuzzi Spa
Private Jacuzzi Spa
Patio Scene
Patio with BBQ
Patio at Night
Hammock for relaxing on the deck
Retreat-like three-level home features a cozy living room with fireplace
Hammock on the Deck
High ceilings, big picture windows and a fireplace with slate hearth & flooring
Gourmet, contemporary kitchen with center island, granite counters, high-end appliances, pantry and oak cabinetry.
The Great Room - large Granite Center Island
Extra Bed adjacent to Family Room
Newly-renovated Family Room with 42' Flatscreen Television
Queen Bed in the Guest Room
Bunk Bed for Kids
Explore!  Kids love Sierra Zen!
Pathway to the backyard
Private driveway far from busy street on a beautiful, nearly ½ acre lot.
Sierra Zen - Winter Scene
Copperopolis - Rest Area prior to Arnold
White Pines Lake - less than 5 miles from Sierra Zen cabin
Boating at Lake Alpine
Big Trees National State Park - 5 mins away
Mercer Caverns
Zip-Line at one of the Caverns
Iron Stone Vineyards Summer Concert Series
Iron Stone Vineyards Pre-Concert
Ironstone Vineyards
Gold!
Wall of Reviews and Memories
Hope to see you soon...
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
KCCowgirl...
Los Angeles
“Nice but is losing it's Shine”
Reviewed 29 August 2013 for a stay in June 2013
people found this review helpful

Pro's - Updated kitchen and living room as well as most furniture and decor. Great kitchen. Wonderfully quiet location. Dog friendly. Great, large decks, outdoor seating and jacuzzi. Master bedroom tastefully furnished and decorated. Comfortable Master Bed. Interior was clean and tidy.

Con's -
Arrived to find the driveway and deck covered with pine needles, dirt, sawdust and trash. Appears a workman did some work in the driveway and left his mess, including cigarette butts, wrappers of door shims, etc. I had to sweep the entire property including upper and lower decks. Would have liked to use a hose to clean everything but there wasn't one!!! The lower deck had not been swept or cleaned in over a month as it was covered with dirt and mud. For the price, I would expect to have found the property clean and neat upon arrival. It wasn't.

All beds/mattresses, other than the master suite, were old and very uncomfortable. Found myself sleeping on the sofa downstairs to try to get a good nights sleep. Linens didn't even match on all other beds, other than the master bedroom. Had a cartoon fitted sheet, a white flat sheet and a plaid comforter! Comforter in small downstairs bedroom was stained. No bureau, dresser or closet to put clothes in...just shelves?

The decor of the small bedroom downstairs, with a full/queen mattress, is done up like a childs room. More likely it will be used by adults so suggest upgrading and updating the decor. Nightstand finish was poor. Appears as though it was furnished via a garage sale.

Bathroom downstairs has a metal gym locker in it. It's not done in a retro style and serves no earthly purpose so suggest they trash it.

Several light bulbs burned out. One light fixture downstairs doesn't work (I traded out a working bulb and still didn't work). No spare bulbs in the place.

Junk and debris around the property including pieces of wood, siding, pots for plants, etc. Garden is a mess. Someone once had hope for the property but the garden has decayed and no one cares for it. Such a shame as it wouldn't take much to keep it up.

Jacuzzi quit the second night of a 7 night stay. I texted James about it. In fairness, he offered to send someone to fix it but I'm certain it was a motor issue so very doubtful it could have been repaired quickly and I just didn't have the heart to mess with it during my vacation.

Since the location was touted to have all amenities and be "above average" and a relaxing "Zen" spot, I was a bit disappointed. With some marked effort and consistent oversight, it would be a nice spot. As it is given my experience, I can't recommend it unless it's improved upon.

James need to better manage the property and oversee housekeeping, vendors, etc. James needs to hire a cleaning service AND gardening service on a weekly basis or at least every time the property is rented.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location & Jacuzzi
Liked least: Non-working Jacuzzi & uncomfortable beds
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Friends getaway Large groups
People with pets
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
29 Aug 2013
Dear KCCowgirlLosAngeles,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your candor and be assured that I will use your recommendations to keep Sierra Zen shining. I received a prior email from you and here are some excerpts:

"Hi James,

We enjoyed your lovely cabin."

"It's apparent you have put a lot of thought and heart into the place. The upgrades are so nice and not "cabin-like"."

"The only other comment I have is that the full and twin bed mattresses were very firm and I found them uncomfortable. I slept on the sofa which was more comfortable for me. My sister LOVED the sleep number bed in the master suite."

The feedback I read here was surprisingly different from your email. Nevertheless, I welcome it as a way to help us improve. I will address your observations:

1) The cabin is not just a rental to us but is also our home. It has most of the amenities of a home compared to the many other mountain cabins I've personally tried and rented, and many of the past SierraZen guests also acknowledge that. Apart from the master bedroom, the other rooms were designed for our young children as we also go up there often. Hence, they still have things there, such as child-patterned sheets especially in the bunk bed room, and the the metallic locker in the downstairs bathroom. My daughter would not want that item "trashed." She keeps her books and art supplies in there when we're up there. The "garage-find" furniture that you referred were not garage finds, but the side table and dresser were painted pinkish purple by my young daughter to match her favorite comforter. You noticed, too, that her painting skills were not up to par, although I thought it could pass for what my wife calls "shabby chic." My wife is especially proud of my daughter's efforts and style, so we are keeping these items.

2) I will remind the housekeeper as well to keep up with the pine needles on the deck especially during changes of the seasons when pine needles are more actively falling between sweepings. I will also remind the housekeeper to make sure the linens match and that they are clean. There is no excuse for overlooking cleanliness.

3) The hot tub is now fixed and we do have a spa person who checks on it once a week for several years now. It was unfortunate that it stopped working during your stay, but malfunctions happen. I can assure you that it is in good working order before any guest checks in.

4) I apologize for the mess the worker left. I, too, was disappointed to hear that he did not clean up after doing work around the house especially before a guest's arrival. I will personally speak to him about this.

We have only been actively renting out our cabin to non-family members for the past two years. Even at this time, our cabin remains a home that my family and I enjoy. Now that we share it with guests, we are aware that it is not a part of a hotel chain or a resort with mainstream decor. It will continue to have some quirky family and child-like touches reflective of our family. We do understand that these may not fit every guest's decorative preference but we will continue to strive our best to provide a nice, cozy cabin in the mountains to interested guests.

James

CA.
Reviewed 5 August 2012 for a stay in July 2012

Management Response
5 Aug 2012
Thank you, Michael. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, the newly-renovated, contemporary kitchen is our favorite spot in our home, too.
San Francisco
Reviewed 16 June 2012 for a stay in October 2011

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Pleasanton
Reviewed 14 June 2012 for a stay in July 2011

A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing