“Best beds with awesomely smooth sheets”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Atascadero
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I love this hotel for it's plush beds and deluxe bathrooms. I've stayed there probably 10 times over the past few years and it's always great. Free parking, free internet and close to everything I need in town. They don't have continental breakfast but there's a little coffee shop next door that you can grab something at. I've always had good service and never a bad experience. I always sleep well in their fabulous beds.

Room Tip: Flexible dates help get the best deal on rooms
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 April 2011

Went there with my hubby for wine tasting in paso robles. The hotel and their staff were fantastic and the room was beautiful. My husband left a utility knife in the room and they were nice enough to call us to return and get it. We let them know the shower was leaking (not a big deal at all) so they had obviously gone up to the room to check immediately after we left! A big DO NOT is the restaurant downstairs. Call a cab or drive into town. It is WAY over priced for what you get. I accidently bought at ($70 bottle of wine at dinner ~ my fault) but then I was given wrong information by the waitress about my meal (told it was couscous but it was israeli cous cous ~ big difference) and the chicken was totally destroyed. My husband ordered steak and mashed potatoes but the mash potatoes had HUGE chunks of blue cheese. When he complained the waitress told him he was wrong my husband barely ate his meal as a result and I somehow got through most of the rock hard chicken. We complained to the manager who made no apologies and refused to give us any money back (we ate about 1/4 of our meal) ~ I think after spending almost $200 on a meal we should have received something back. We would have been better off going to a TGI Fridays or Applebees and saved ourselves ALOT of money. Don't be fooled or suckered into going downstairs to eat becuase thats all there is close by...we did that and had one of the worst dinners I've had in a long time at a very high price!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cynthiaclagg
Reviewed 10 February 2011

This time I was solo, but usually stay with my husband when we go wine touring in the Paso Robles area, or visit family nearby. It's a tremendous value for rooms of that quality.
Beautiful materials and finishes, sumptuous decor (we always book the Vintage rooms FWIW). Their free wifi has been lightning-fast. And the biggest draw for me is the bed. We've stayed in 4- and 5-star hotels all over the world, and I haven't found a bed or linens that are more comfortable than these. It's like sleeping in a cloud.
While there is a restaurant attached to the hotel, it is open for dinner, and perhaps lunch. Not breakfast. Currently you need to walk (or drive) a couple blocks down the street to get breakfast in the morning. I believe there is room service available from the restaurant for lunch only. And this is not a spa type resort hotel with a pool or that kind of thing. Just elegantly appointed, large, comfortable rooms, in a quiet, small-town casual atmosphere, very convenient driving distance from Paso and its wine country.
It's worth noting that during my last stay, I checked out and headed down the highway, realizing hours later that I'd left a diamond and emerald ring on the bathroom counter. I called the hotel, to find they'd already left an e-mail for me, and voice mail on my husband's phone, that housekeeping had found my ring. This ring is worth several thousand dollars! Pleasant surprise at their integrity would be a vast understatement of my reaction.
We've always booked there because of the comfort, elegance and excellent value of the rooms... but now they have our undying loyalty as well.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Shockley’s Bar and Grill. The place looks great even all the fake boob servers. But we went for the food. The food took forever to get even with the place with having only few guests to serve. The food portions were very small; at first I thought my meal was a appetizer. But no just an Ethiopian snack. The pricey meals did not even come with a salad. A wilted salad was 9 bucks! My guest got the ribs and for 30 bucks what a laugh we had. He got two measly ribs plopped on a scoop of potatoes. That it! The food was ok but not worth the prices. If I were you I would stay away from the place, servers are snotty and food is pricey. Shockley’s is trying to be a L.A. Style place, Just not right for Atascadero.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank stevewoodPasoRobles
Reviewed 13 September 2010

My friend in Burbank Calif recommended this hotel to me and it was everything she said it would be. The room was absolutely gorgeous and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2010

What a marvelous surprise we discovered in this hotel! The community space as well as the private rooms are wonderfully restored and updated with today’s conveniences. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The restaurant and bar, we were told, will be reopening in approximately 1 month. This presented no problem for us as Paso Robles has fine restaurants and is only 10 minutes away. If you are going to Paso Robles for wine tasting exploration, do your self a favor and book a room at this hotel.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2010

The Carlton is a nice hotel close by to the Paso wine area. The rooms, especially the large bathrooms, are very comfortable and inviting. Loved the shower and the tub with spa jets (although our jets were broken this time). Great way to relax with a glass of wine (we brought our own) at the end of the day. We stayed once before in February and the rates were a bit cheaper, probably due to the season. It doesn't bother us that the restaurant is closed since we usually eat dinner at Artisan in downtown Paso Robles every time we visit. We even forgot something in our room that we didn't even realize and the hotel called us a few days later to figure out how to get it back to us. With the current rate, we might consider a B & B in the Paso area next time that includes breakfast, but most of them require a 2 night weekend stay, so the Carlton is a great option for staying 1 night on the weekend.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atascadero
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Paso Robles Atascadero
Paso Robles Inn
Paso Robles Inn
#9 of 18 in Paso Robles
Allegretto Vineyard Resort Paso Robles

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!