“Old World in New World”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Atascadero
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The Carlton is the old world Atascadero in the middle of a town beset with strip malls and Highway 101 carrying people away. The charm of the hotel is space. Settling into the luxury of a corner suite was like a visit to a well-off grandmother stuck in mid-century trappings. It was pleasant, large and comfortable. It beats the ubiquitous chain hotels that frequent 101 including the garish well-known hotel just down the road. The staff was pleasant and accommodating. As mentioned in other reviews, the curious curb sign that announces a valet is deceiving.

Room Tip: Pamper yourself and pay more to book a suite.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank h2onab

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Visited some friends in Atascadero and stayed at the Carlton. Wow! What a surprise. The room was large, cool and beautifully decorated. The bed was VERY comfortable, and the room tastefully decorated in golds and navy. The bathroom is large and something you'd expect at a Ritz. Not what you'd expect in a small town. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The Carlton is a beautiful old -- skillfully-renovated -- hotel in a great location, right in the centre of Atascadero, close to shopping, restaurants, wine bars and the historic administration building (currently under restoration). It's also a good setting off point for the Central Coast wine country, Paso Robles, Hearst Castle, Mission San Antonio, Mission San Miguel and the amazing Rios-Caledonia Adobe in San Miguel, just to name a few points of interest. The website and in-room literature is a little confusing since references are made to several on-site eateries and a bar which, sadly, no longer occupy the premises. But ... no worries: the helpful desk staff have all kinds of suggestions and there is a pleasant wine-bar several doors down which serves a wonderful breakfast (their apricot scones are to die for); in-room meal service is apparently available from this same establishment, and spa services are also offered - I did not try either but simply note their availability. Hopefully, the hotel will be able to attact a good restaurant and bar back onto the premises in the near future. The room I stayed in was clean, mega-comfortable, quiet and very well-equipped in terms of towels (big Frette bath sheets that large ladies can wrap around themselves comfrotably!), bath robes, the usual "niceties" (shampoos, baths gels, etc). I do think that in the interests of "truth-in-advertising", the hotel needs to quickly up-date its in-room literature, web-site, etc. so as to avoid complaints from guests who arrive expecting a bar, restaurants, and what-ever else in terms of room-service and on-site amenities and who subsequently feel misled and badly-done-by. From my point of view, I feel that the Carlton has enormous potential and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my friends, family and to any visitors to California's beautiful central coast region. [BTW, Brian T. it's WEIRD] and I found the young desk staff to be charming and endearingly anxious to please. (Foot-note re. Valet Parking: I did notice the signs in the front, but since I don't like other people messing around with my car, I was immediately directed to the hotel's self-parking lot across the street -- i.e., I did not put Valet Parking to the test.)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Let me start by saying, the place is beautiful, just gorgeous, if anybody cared it could be great. We arrived at approx. 4:00pm on Friday, pulled between the valet signs, and waited, and waited, finally I took the bags out, droped the wife at the front and parked the car. Upon checking in no one mentioned the lack of a valet. If you don't have a valet, don't wheel valet signs to the curb, it would only make sense.
While reading the services folder in the room I came upon room service and video on demand, where I was instructed to dial 0, after dialing 0 the phone rang for 10 min, until I hung up. Here's the secret there is no room service, no video on demand, the bar and restraunt downstairs are closed.
The web site states that all rooms have a shower with a separate jetted tub, the tub does not exist. The staff was "WIERD", that's the best word my wife and I could come up with. They are not unfriendly, but they are certainly not the cheeriest bunch, or the most helpful. When we checked out the girl didn't even ask how are stay was. I'll say it again, it could be great.

Room Tip: At this point don't stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brian T
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We pulled up to the front of the hotel on a Friday evening at about 6:30 - there were a couple of signs in front that said "Valet Parking". We pulled in and waited... and waited. Turns out there were no valet parking attendants. OK, that's cool... so we pull our bags and and walk in to the reception desk. Again... crickets.... no one there either. Once we rang the bell, a semi-friendly gal came out to check us in and, when we asked about the valet she said "is that your car?" and told us to just leave the car in front overnight... no explanation as to what happened to the valets...

When we got into the room, it was pretty large (Deluxe King room) and the linens (apart from a few small tears) were very nice quality... and everything seemed pretty clean. We were not given a key to the mini bar upon check in, but when we called the front desk they said we could have a key if we wanted one, but there was nothing in the mini bar (OK with us, since we were making a run to the local market and really just wanted some cold storage). Of course no one offered to bring the key up, so we had to go back down to the front desk again to get it (which, obviously, isn't great service for a $200/night room).

Overall was pretty nice, and for sure the best place in the area... but certainly nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank DogBeach90265
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Located in the quaint city of Atascadero, you have a perfect opportunity to walk to great restaurants while touring wine country in Paso Robles and neighboring towns. Ocean Harvest is down the street if you want some fresh seafood cooked by a master chef. Also, within easy walking distance is a wine bar and other restaurants. The hotel beds and linens are exceptional quality. The towels are soft. The rooms are quiet and most have decent views, but you don't stay at this hotel to stay inside all day because there is so much fun to have outside.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I stayed here on a business trip to Camp Roberts, CA because all the other, cheaper and closer hotels were fullly booked. My room was one of the nicest I've ever stayed in. The furniture was all beautifully carved hardwood. The bed had expensive, ultra-soft embroidered sheets and a wonderful plush mattress that provided good back support, but was at the same time soft and pillowy. The bathroom was very large, and had a seperate glass shower, and a large whirlpool tub.

There are some strange incongruities with this hotel, however. The restaurant/bar is closed indefiinately (so there was also no room service), bellhop service was absent, and the room's TV was very old and malfunctioning. The elevator had a bizarre tendency to take you on a tour of random floors (with nobody waiting) instead of sending you to the floor you wanted. Also, my room was the first I've ever had where there wasn't a desk or table of any type in the room. I had to work on my laptop while sitting in bed. On the whole, the hotel has the look (and price) of an upscale establishment, but without the usual amenities.

The hotel had some outrageous pricing policies -- for instance, if you ship a package to the hotel (or if you arrange for a FedEx pickup at the hotel), the hotel charges you $25-$100 per package. We almost shipped our equipment to the hotel, and I'm very glad we didn't. It is ridiculous to pay 4 times as much as the shipping itself cost for so minor a service as receiving a package for a guest. Most hotels will gladly do this without cost.

On the upside, the wireless internet was free. This was a surprise because the information on the hotel's website had indicated a substantial nightly fee.

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atascadero
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Atascadero
#9 of 18 in Paso Robles
La Bellasera Hotel and Suites
La Bellasera Hotel and Suites
#8 of 18 in Paso Robles

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!