“Historic building with updated guest rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Atascadero
San Francisco, CA
“Historic building with updated guest rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

The hotel is historic and the rooms are well-appointed and updated. The room was spacious, bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was large and modern. The robes from the TCH (Telegraph Hill Club) was a nice touch. This hotel was better than some 4 and 5 star hotels I've stayed at in other countries. It was a nice surprise!

The fitness center was small and had a only a couple of bikes and treadmills. The bar was surprisingly quiet and not crowded. The restaurant in the hotel served good quality food, but the cuisine was nothing out of the ordinary.

It's a great location if you want to go wine tasting in area. We drove to Paso Robles for dinner which was just 10-15 minutes north of the hotel. We ate breakfast close to the hotel - all were driving distance from the hotel, as there was not many choices within walking distance. There's a parking lot right by the hotel (no fee).

I definitely would come back.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2010

We have been visiting family in Atascadero for a long time and have stayed in almost every hotel. The Carlton offers the best value for your money. We got our room for the same price as the Best Western Colony Inn and it is a far better experience. It is no secret the property is having financial problems - the restaurant was closed by the tax man - but it did not diminish the quality of the room, the level of service, or the attitude of the employees.

Our room (205) was nice and large and I found the beds to be very comfortable. I have to get one of their mattress pads. The good sized bathroom had a shower, a spa tub, and plenty of towels. There was free wifi and ample free parking. The freeway is right there and the wineries are not far away. Have a picnic out at the Justin Winery in Paso.

I would definitely stay at The Carlton again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

We stayed this hotel in December 09 when we visited wineries in Paso Robles. Parking is in the back of the hotel, but it's public parking. We had no problem finding a parking spot due to off season, but it could be a problem during peak season. First, we were assigned to Room 206. It's a corner room so nice and spacious. However, we had to move because the heater didn't work and a small heater they brought over stopped working after a half hour. They moved us to room 207. This room was much smaller, no work desk nor table/chairs. It was noisy as it's in front of ice machine and housekeeping room. We didn't see any other guests staying here, so I was hoping they could give us a better room. But we did't want to move again, so we just stayed in 207.
There was supposed to be a bakery but we were told it's close now. Next day, we went out to visit wineries and came back to the hotel around 4pm, and found that the room wasn't cleaned. When I called the front desk, a manager and housekeeping staff promptly showed up and apologized. The manager the night before did not notify other staff that we moved to a different room. The room was cleaned while we hang out at the bar. This manager was very attentive and he checked on us next morning to make sure everything was okay.

It's a charming hotel with good value. Room decoration and bathroom was very nice. I love the big bathtub. All wineries are about 15 minutes drives from this hotel. Most of good restaurants around here are in downtown Paso Robles. If you don't mind driving, I would recommend.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

Okay so from the beginning phone call to make reservations it was a mess! My friend was having her bridal party stay at the Carlton so that is why I stayed there. I thought it was very pretty but a lot of construction around the hotel and limited parking. Also after the 2nd floor there were no stairs and you had to take elevator unless of an emergency and the Elevator was extremely SLOW! But the biggest disaster of all was the fact that my girlfriend and I were going to split the cost of the rooms. We stayed two nights and we each were going to pay one night well for some reason my CC would not work... they called me on my cell Sunday after I left while I was driving and I gave them another card. 5 months later! They ran my girlfriends card for the room again and they stated my CC did not work. they never even tried to run the 2nd CC I gave them which would have paid for the room right then and there. I called to get this worked out and they were rude and the lady would not stop interrupting me! I was blown away of how they handled this! Instead of apologizing that their employee whom I gave my information to did not process correctly (which he just happens to not be working there anymore) and for just running a CC after 5 months without notice! It was awful! I work for a corporation and I would never just run a CC without notifying the customer regardless of the situation. They never tried to contact me once about the balance. The reservation were under my name and they could have clearly called me and this could have been solved a long time ago but they never did and I WOULD NEVER recommend anyone to stay there! EVER!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank ctothebbarton
Napa, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

Another contributor suggested The Carlton as an alternative to high end hotels in Paso Robles. So, I booked an overnight there. We were blown away. This historic property has been beautifully updated and is kept in gorgeous condition. As we were there the day after Christmas, staff was a little thin, but that didn't detract from the experience. The beauty is more than skin deep: the beds are fabulous! My only regret is that the restaurant's execution failed to deliver on a wonderful-sounding menu. It wasn't horrible, just very average. Still, it's convenient to have an adequate restaurant on site (no room service when we were there, however). Parking is across the street or on the street. But, as noted, rates for comparable quality are much higher than The Carlton.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

I stayed for one night, I'm a hotel meeting planner, BS degree in Hotel Management. For what my background may be worth, this renovated hotel was a outstanding place to spend time in. The hotel easily could fetch $250 or more per night if the economy was different or location was a major city - no matter. I strongly suggest anyone that normally stays in Paso Robles, stay 10 min south at the Carlton in Atascadero and be treated to a very lush facility, marble, fine woodwork detail in bathrooms, fine fixtures, elegant down bedding, turkish cotton towels. Trush me & happy travels.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Carlsbad, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2009

The 50th anniversary party, family reunion, and romantic getaway was going so perfect until we checked out of the Carlton Hotel. This hotel was making for a 100% perfect stay and an unforgettable weekend getaway. Then we walked to our $60k sports car and saw what came to be over $1000 in damages that were caused to the front end of a the car. The parking is HORRIBLE. There are 3 places to park: Parallel parking on the city street (if you don't get a ticket), parking across the street in a very small lot, or behind the building in a city parking in an alley with no lights or cameras! The hotel clams no responsibilities for any damages. If the Hotel Manager wasn't outside at the time having a smoke when my car was hit she also admits that the person probably wouldn't have left a note (that I still had to have the local police track the person down). BTW, Police in this town are great! Needless to say, I spent the entire last day tracking down the person, dealing with insurance companies and the other guest's rental car company.

When we went to speak to the hotel manager on duty, it took 30 minutes for her to get off a phone call to see us so I could report the incident. She did nothing to help, but to say "I saw the incident and sorry we assume no responsibility". What about, can we contact the police for you, can we help you find the guest, can we help with anything, can we get you a drink, or extra night on us while you deal with the mess you need to clean up that took place on our property and wouldn't have happened if you didn't stay with us. Nothing, the hotel did, absolutely nothing!

It's over a month later and it has already cost me over $600 out my own pocket in expenses that are not covered by insurance. The car isn't fixed and the other guest went back to New Jersey. Thank you Carlton Hotel for a truly UNFORGETTABLE stay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wkrik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atascadero
SpringHill Suites Paso Robles Atascadero
Allegretto Vineyard Resort Paso Robles
The Oaks Hotel
The Oaks Hotel
#2 of 18 in Paso Robles

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!