“Getting there”

Add it.
Avion & Claw
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stopped in to Avion & Claw and while it is relatively new business and working through some growing pains we enjoyed our evening. With craft beer and wine on tap it has a good selection of both including several from the area. They offer a very limited food menu but what we had was quite good. I'd suggest that they could up their game in this regard by applying their menu as either a food & wine or beer pairing or a tasting menu again to complement. They are working on becoming a music venue as well. The owner and staff were marvellous which for us helps us over the quirks. Good luck to them as they grow their business.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is a great wine bar with such a welcoming staff and really great service. The wine list is terrific and the owner was a delight to chat with and really knows her wines. Also they serve small plates that are absolutely delicious - what sounds like a basic menu will be a pleasant surprise. If you are driving near Atascadero, this is worth a stop. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Very nice atmosphere and the food is down right good. Appetizers here, not dinner.But a must if you go. I would recommend it to any of my friends and family! The owners did an exceptional job. High- Five to this place!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We found this little wine and beer bar while staying at the Carlton. Endulged in the Mac and Cheese...oh my it is "write home to mama" Mac and cheese. Had a wine we had never tried before Lumen Pinot delicious. The owners have really found a great niche, their menu is on a chalk board when they run out...it's lined out so you know everything you have is fresh. There was great music and everyone really friendly, even though they were pretty busy the service (all done by the husband and team owners) was very good. When in Atascadero give it a try

1  Thank Dotti143
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have visited Avion and Claw twice since they opened their doors in downtown Atascadero, and enjoyed both times. This wine and lager bar is a much needed business in A-town, and I think the owners are off to a fantastic start with A&V.

The wine list, in my opinion, is "okay." The by-the-glass list of whites could benefit from additions such as Albariño or Viognier, and the list desperately needs reds like Syrah, Zinfandel, a Paso Robles red blend, and Tempranillo or Malbec. Perhaps they change their list daily, which I wouldn't recommend. I think most people like familiarity WITHIN variety. I can't say anything about the beer or food, as I haven't tried them yet, but friends of mine are giving them good reviews.

The atmosphere feels a bit "cool," both in decor and energy, as the interior color scheme features blues and grays. And while the seating is hip and eclectic, it's not necessarily cozy. The piped-in music tends to be a bit cacophonous as it hits all the hard room surfaces. But I imagine that the ambiance changes when they feature live music, and as a musician myself, I plan to visit to find out!

All of this is subjective, and I encourage readers to visit and explore for themselves, because Avion and Claw is definitely working for a local living.

And that is the most important aspect: the owners are very warm and friendly folks who are clearly vested in quality products and service--and customer happiness. This is foundational to a good business, especially in a small wine country town that needs more stable, consistent, and congenial spaces for local folks and tourists alike. If the owners continue with this attitude of gratitude, I believe Avion and Claw will be around for a long time, and will only improve with time. I wish A&V great success, and will visit again--and encourage friends as well--to support this fledgling local business!