“Excellent Time”

Ranked #1 of 3 Auburn B&B and Inns
Fullerton, California
“Excellent Time”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I set up a family reunion/50th wedding anniversary celebration here for my fiancé's mother and father.
The hotel rooms, although some seem to be still undergoing renovations (small things like wall paper and flooring changes) were quite nice. The ones that had been renovated were emasculate, and the ones that hadn't weren't horrible, ours (the Irish Cooley room) was actually very cute! Cleaning was offered, but we turned it down simply because of the fact that we had 9 rooms (a little much for anyone to clean everyday).

The staff was very attentive! Mr. Lee took care of us very well, any issues were handled in a timely manner, fixed before we were back from dinner. He also set up a room near the pub for the family to gather, play cards, watch TV, and have the anniversary celebration. The Pub staff was charming, and 110% attentive, they received great tips!! The food was GREAT, we didn't have much variety (our allergy restrictions may have caused this), but it was consistently deciduous.

The building itself was very cute, and even the fake grass outside didn't bother us too much (saved the kids clothes and us from itching). The tea room was set up nicely, and although we were asked to avoid it during tea-time they still allowed us to use the parlor. Tea was also an amazing experience, the staff was again attentive and accommodating (they fit us in last minute).

I couldn't find much wrong with the trip, the staff was great, the pricing was reasonable, and the town is very cute! Take the tour at city hall, it was fun! Mr. Lee and his family are doing a great job with the mansion, I will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DeAnna B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The first thing we noticed was the "grass" as we were led to our room. It's plastic grass!
Pretty in a picture but....
The room was old, not antiqueish. The tea room was nice to look at but not available for the guests. Just the kitchen was available for us to use with everyone else. We had to walk to a restaurant owned by them for our breakfast. I would not go back ever.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sandy C
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We bought a Groupon deal for the Powers Mansion Inn, I would be so mad if we would've paid regular $200 per night, it wasn't even worth $116. This mansion looks very nice from the outside, but inside it is so run down, cluttered and dusty that kills the romantic mood instantly. Our room was a disaster: peeling wallpaper,terrible water stains on the fireplace and hardwood, cobwebs, stinky Jacuzzi tub, layers of dust on the window seals with a collection of dead bugs, we were afraid to turn the ceiling fan on due to thick layer of dust, that looked black, it was probably washed for a last time about a decade ago. But the worst of all was noise that was coming from the bars, loud music, hooting and hollering until 4 am. We had our windows shot, but that didn't help at all. By the time it was quiet the trains started coming by and it felt like were sleeping on the train station, they were so loud. I know I can't really blame owners for that, but it was almost ridiculous, since at 5am garbage truck started collecting garbage and it took for ever. We didn't sleep all night. The only good thing was breakfast in the morning, otherwise it was a very pathetic romantic getaway. Glad to be home.

Room Tip: go some place else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank 485Andy_D
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I bought a Groupon for this Bed & Breakfast. Alfred, the owner, was a delight. We chatted with him at dinner and breakfast. He is the "everything" man for the establishment. Paul checked us in and was very personable and easy to talk with. We met Steve for dinner and he also was very personable. The food for dinner, and breakfast the next morning, was incredibly delicious. At any given time there is 110 beers on tap! We only tried 1 though and it was very good. Alfred and Paul are brewers. There is a need for detail in the rooms and maybe someone, other than the guests, making coffee in the kitchen in the morning. (the place were you eat is next door to the mansion) Our overall experience was good. Thank you Alfred for a good experience visiting Auburn.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Power Room and it was very spacious.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pam C
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband surprised me with a reservation here on May 10th for our anniversary. What a mistake. For a place with much potential, it does not deliver. Most of it is tacky and run-down, with loads of deferred maintenance to be attended to. The exception is the pretty parlor and dining area, the dining area that the guests do not use...we were supposed to walk across the parking lot to the brew pub for breakfast. Tacky expanses of fake grass greet you, and a tired room with no charm at all. There is absolutely no attention to detail there at all. The clock on the wall did not work, no glasses or opener were included with the bottle of wine, and our view out the window was of a rooftop with broken gutters and rotting wood. The toilet was not secure on the floor, the wall needed patching where something had been attached, etc etc. There were no glasses in the room or bathroom at all, either for a drink of water, or to brush teeth with. Add to this, the fact that the place has three bars/clubs around it. Though this is no fault of the owner of Powers Mansion, we did not go to sleep until after 2 am when the bars closed, due to all the hooting and hollering outside.-this was with the windows closed. The worse part of the room was the bed. It was so hard and old, that it should be thrown away immediately. We both awoke at 6, aching all over. We left right then and came home, skipping the breakfast. (which at 9 am is too late anyway).

I called the owner and he agreed to a refund via Groupon, where my husband booked the room. I do hope he takes my phone comments, as well as this review, seriously. It is a shame that such a pretty place with such potential, is tacky and uncomfortable. What a disappointing experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Julie L
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband treated me on Mother's Day for this local getaway from Sacramento. It was the first time either of us had stayed at a Bed & Breakfast (B&B). The warm customer service Alfred and Brittney extended was welcoming. I felt at home before we'd even arrived! Brittney maintained this welcome during her introduction and orientation of the Inn. After settling in, we walked the 1/2 block to downtown Auburn, a very nice area for walking and shopping and dining. The evening back at the B&B (The Power Room) that night. We heard a peep from no one. Alfred was a delight and so were the new friends we met during breakfast. The meal was heavy on fried and carbs and meat, so as a vegan(ish) I'll defer to my husband who said, "I really liked it!"

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LaTanyaHW
Bishop, California
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Had my wedding there...the white tablecloths were so dirty from a wedding a week before, they attempted to cover it up the day of rehearsal! MY FAMILY AND I WASHED AND IRONED THEM!! They also put greased utensils on each of the tables (which some had food particles on!). The ceremony chairs were completely covered in pollen which I doubt they wouldn't do anything about until my mother-in-law said something. Throughout months of planning, when we called Alfred to confirm the payments, he didn't even know who we were! We had to constantly remind him. Also, instead of bothering to call us with any questions about the number of guests (we told him that there were going to be 80 at the beginning), he had the nerve to ask my in-laws. He's not a good DJ at all. Half the songs/genres we asked for were not played at all. If he wanted some songs, I told him I have a good 10 GB worth for pete's sake. Then we told him to release all the guest rooms we were thinking of reserving, he decided to release our honeymoon suite! Like really we were getting married (he's the one that told us we would have a free night stay in the honeymoon suite) and who wouldn't take advantage of that? He then tried to blame my husband for it (aka he would rather have the money). My mother-in-law's room was extremely overheated. The shower head in our bathroom was just a handheld one with a hook placed to hold it (very annoying I might add). The room itself had no closet. Did I mention I was setting up up until the wedding and the fact that I still don't know what happened to my anniversary cake? I swear some of the stuff I had bought are STILL unaccounted for. I guess a wedding with 70-80 people was something they could care less about. In conclusion, make sure EVERY SINGLE THING is clean and in my personal opinion don't bother renting the place. I would only go back just for the food if it weren't for this horrific experience.

Room Tip: If possible, stay on the upper floor that way you won't hear any noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank K Z
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
#2 of 3 in Auburn
Motel 6 Auburn
Motel 6 Auburn
#3 of 7 in Auburn

Been to Power's Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!