“Worn Down”

Red Lion Inn and Suites Auburn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed here in business. The hotel is conveniently located near the expressway, as well as both fast food and gular restaurants. However, it needs a major remodel. It is old and worn, small and uncomfortable. The bed and pillows are terrible. We did not have hot water one morning so it was a nice early COLD shower. And the general appearance is dirty and dated. Sadly, From the outside looks of the other hotels in Auburn, I'm not sure you can do better. Perhaps a name chnage would help since the Comfort Inn was anything but comfortable.

Room Tip: Stay in Rosevile, CA. It's not that far away.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Gary S

Reviewed 29 June 2012

stayed one night here. room was very average.

Front desk and check in personnel were very nice and helpful.

bathroom wasn't clean enough for me; didn't shower in the morning.

I'd probably try someplace else next time business takes me there.

The free morning breakfast included was ok.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank scrutineer44
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My two night stay was ok considering the quirks that we're included. The check in went smoothly even with the unfriedly elderly women doing the work. I went to my room and right in front of the door was all the dirty laundry from a room piled up. Looking down the hall from my room there was another pile in front of another room. My key card also did not work. I went back to the front desk and informed the woman about the dirty linen. She asked me if I could step over them and said she'd make a note for the maid. Upon coming in from a walk before going to bed I stopped back at the front desk to see if they had removed the linens. No she said and asked me to kick them out of the way. I was very nervous entering my room wondering how clean it would be. The room turned out be clean and no smells. My wife did see a cockroach going over the dresser. I asked for a 1pm late checkout for my wife while I had business to do. The man at the front desk who was there in the morning was not happy and seemed grumpy about being at work, not about the request. He made a note about the late checkout in the computer. My wife put up the do not disturb sign and received a phone call at noon from the same man about the check out time was at 11am. My wife said he had given us a late checkout for 1pm. He said oh ya 1 o'clock. Ok. Overall the place was quite and the lobby was nice looking. I'm not sure if I would stay here again considering there are other hotels near by with same amideties and comparable prices.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Every year we attend a spring retreat in applegate, CA, about 10 minutes from the Comfort Inn in auburn. We like this motel, for these reasons: It's a budget motel that meets all of our needs. Specifically,
* SIZE OF ROOM: spacious
* BED: king-size and comfortable (but not a pillow top mattress)
* FITNESS CENTER: contains a treadmill, exercise bike, StairMaster, and free-standing weights.
* BREAKFAST: waffles, eggs, sausage, yogurt, hot and cold cereals, bread and bagels would satisfy most people. But we're vegans so we brought our own soy yogurt.
* QUIET: perfectly!
* WI-FI: Yes, we were asked if we wanted the access code when we checked in.

However, a few improvements could be made: the walls of our room could use a little refreshing/upgrading. Turning on the light in the bathroom activates a thunderous noise--this should be regulated, reduced. And we interacted with two people at reception, a woman and a man; no smiles or warmth from either of them.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VeganChela
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This was an unplanned stop for me so I had no to low expectations. I have to say that this accommodation is very comfortable. The front desk staff was friendly and helped us out when we had to stay due to snow on the pass over the Sierras. The room is very clean. There are extra amenities as well: in addition to the 'expected' regular fair such as a TV and an in room coffee pot, there is a small fridge and a microwave. It was nice to just grab snacks from our car and heat up in the room so we did not have to go out to eat.
There is also an outdoor hot tub which we were looking forward to, but did not end up using.
I would stay here again if I ever needed to be in Auburn for any reason.

Room Tip: I enjoy looking out, so appreciated the south facing room because you can see quite a ways across th...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank kim d
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I have stayed here on two occasions now, and have always gotten a good room - clean and well-apportioned. The prices are reasonable, and the Continental breakfast was great. If you are on your way to Reno or Tahoe and need a nice place for the night, this hotel is a good choice.

Room Tip: It's a little close to the freeway, so try to get back a bit. But all rooms seem quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank travelgubbie
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I've been staying here practically every year when visiting relatives, and I've been very happy until this stay. The mattress is definitely due to be replaced. My husband & I were given a room with 2 beds, thank goodness. The first one had wrinkled sheets & looked like someone had already slept in it. However, on closer examination I believe the sheet was soiled, and someone had handwashed & wrung it out, hence all the wrinkling. But it should have been put through the laundry. The shower was good, but someone's old soap was still there! The heater & refrigerator were so loud they woke me up. Generally speaking, the room looked tired. The breakfast area had the usual choices, and included very dry scrambled eggs, and peeled hardboiled eggs (I prefer to peel my own eggs for sanitary reasons). The sausages were good, however. Unfortunately, the front-desk person was also the breakfast person. That's just too much to ask of one employee!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frankei
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Best Western Golden Key
Holiday Inn Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
#2 of 7 in Auburn
Surestay Plus Hotel By Best Western Rocklin
Comfort Inn & Suites Rocklin
The Historic American River Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Folsom

Been to Red Lion Inn and Suites Auburn? Share your experiences!