“learned the first time know better now”

Red Lion Inn and Suites Auburn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
californian
“learned the first time know better now”
Reviewed 17 March 2010

The hallway carpets need to be cleaned as well as the edges of the room we stayed in.
The breakfast room chairs need to be cleaned. The satisfaction guarantee only means they will make you change rooms when you are not happy and no manager is available to contact about problems in the room. Desk staff was nice but they do not have the permission from the owner to take care of anything other than saying I am sorry.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
California
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Watch your credit card bill for the EXTRA $100 YOU WILL BE CHARGED AFTER YOU LEAVE, for "having a dog in the room." When I called to complain, the clerk insisted the staff "heard a dog barking" in my room and that it was "covered with dog hair" when I left. The manager refused to return my call. I had to have the pet hotel where my dogs WERE staying fax an invoice to this Hotel Hell to prove that my dogs were 200 miles away. If my dogs had been staying with a friend, I would have lost $100 to these thieves. These people routinely add this charge, hoping you won't notice. Funny about that religious channel they have on in the lobby. Also, the room was dirty and the bathroom smelled like urine.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank sanfrontcat

Travellers are raving about these Auburn hotels

Berkeley, California
Reviewed 2 December 2008

Hotel is a little dated as one other passenger suggests, but otherwise is okay, and unremarkeable. Some of the chairs in the guest rooms could be reupholstered- on one chairs in my room, there was a rip in the top part of the upholstery, exposing some foam padding underneath.

Pros: hot tub and pool, free internet access!, free build-your-own-breakfast, comfy couches in the lobby, not too loud.

Cons: dated interior, worn out chairs in guest rooms.

• Liked — free internet access in rooms and in lobby
  • Disliked — dated interior
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed 4 November 2008

We were in Auburn for a wedding in Foresthill, nearby.
The room was ready when we checked in and dressed for the afternoon wedding. The room was clean and fresh.

The breakfast in the morning include make your own pancakes a favorite of mine and there was aslo cereal and fresh fruit available.

This met my expectations with previous reviews.

• Liked — Clean as exoected
  • Disliked — No view, ambiance, as expected
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 27 May 2008

Clean hotel but rather bare-bones. Comfortable beds. Pleasant staff.
Rooms look like they were last decorated when Jimmy Carter was president and men roamed the earth wearing polyester leisure suits.
Have a look at the Super 8 next door, instead.

• Liked — Comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Value
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Fremont, CA
Reviewed 6 July 2007

When we stay in Auburn it's usually a brief overnight stay on our way somewhere else, when we decide to leave the bay area after work to that we have a head start the next day. When we do that (not all that often) this hotel tends to be the first place I check, the rooms seem a little nicer than the other hotels clustered next to I-80. So we've stayed here a handful of times. This is sort of down the hill a bit from 1-80, so there's not direct noise from the interstate. Nice rooms, nice bath & shower (nice showerheads last time I stayed, although they are a bit low, might be annoying for tall people). The place looks like it's kept up pretty well. We were toward the back of the hotel, and there's a pool and hot tub, but we didn't use either. We've never had a problem with noise from other rooms here -- I noticed when I walk down the hall I can hear people through the doors, but once we're in our room I've never heard noise. However it's usually not very busy when we're there, so it could be that no one is next to us too.

Now the things that could be better. First is a large sign at the front desk, which I only noticed this last time, which says they will charge you $100 if, after you check out, they find or even suspect that you had a pet, or were smoking in a non-smoking room. It's the "suspect" part that seems fishy, it makes it sound like you may end up with an extra $100 charge on your card if they just happened to not like you, and it made me feel unwelcome and like I should keep an eye on my credit card bill. Second, as I said we were at the back of the hotel, and the wireless there was too weak to use. There was a wired jack and a cable, so we were able to connect that way, but only sitting at the desk. Finally, the breakfast was a bit sad. I'm not a big breakfast person, so I usually don't care about much other that the coffee, which was not that great. My wife (not a picky eater) said her muffin was the worst she's ever had, and threw it away after a single bite. So you may want to look for breakfast elsewhere. There's a Starbucks about a block away just across I-80, we usually go there anyway.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Possible $100 fee if they even suspect you violated thier pet or smoking policies
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M421
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed 16 June 2007

This is a basic motel room with a breakfast. The breakfast consists of hard-boiled eggs, cereal, juice, milk, coffee, yogurt, and waffles. The breakfast room was a decent size. It is located conveniently off highway 80 at Alburn Ravine Road. It seemed somewhat worn and the hallway smelled a bit like cigarette smoke. The room was dustier than most motels, especially under the beds and behind the tables.

• Liked — Relatively convenient location.
  • Disliked — Too much dust. This place needs a good cleaning.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Best Western Golden Key
Days Inn Rocklin/Sacramento
Motel 6 Auburn
Motel 6 Auburn
#3 of 7 in Auburn

Been to Red Lion Inn and Suites Auburn? Share your experiences!