“The Auburn Ale House gets an A+”
Review of Auburn Alehouse

Auburn Alehouse
Ranked #3 of 165 Restaurants in Auburn
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Brian & Lisa Ford opened Auburn Alehouse Brewery & Restaurant in 2007 in the iconic Shanghai Restaurant, embracing the building's character and colorful history in the heart of Historic Auburn. While enjoying their full bistro menu, patrons can often see Brian & his brewers making world-class beer in small batches, using only the finest malted barley and American-grown hops. With a collection of prestigious awards hanging on the wall it's easy to see why the SacBee recently said Auburn Alehouse is one of the region's premier craft breweries. Favorites include the Gold Digger IPA (CA State Fair Gold Medal Winner), Gold Country Pilsner (GABF Gold Medal Winner), Hop Donkey (GABF Silver Medal Winner) and PU240 IPA! Lunch and Dinner are served every day, while our Brunch menu is served on Saturday and Sunday from 9am-noon. Don't forget we have a dog friendly patio!
Burlington, NJ
“The Auburn Ale House gets an A+”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We were driving from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento and I just happened to catch a billboard advertising the brewery. Thank heavens it was time for lunch and a beer so we located it. What a find! It is in the heart of old town, and perfect in both atmosphere and ambiance. Great service, outstanding beer, beautifully presented in a round beer serving tray with tulip glasses, and great food! I had the shaved turkey sandwich while my husband enjoyed little neck clams and the kid devoured his hamburger. We were both impressed with the Shanghai Stout and the Spring Fling seasonal. If this place had been closer to where we were staying, we would have came back for a second meal. Make this a stop on your next road trip.

• Visited April 2014

Sacramento, California
“Very good”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We had an early dinner here on a Saturday evening. We were seated right away and had an excellent waitress. The kids meals were above average and nicely plated. Hubby and I both had the clam chowder (excellent with a little kick) and salads. Fresh ingredients with good dressing. If your going later than us (we were out by 6:30pm) I'd definitely call and get yourself on the list as it was picking up quickly when we left. The bar was packed the whole time we were there. We will be back!

Visited April 2014
Nevada City, California
“Great food, great beer”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Whenever I pass through Auburn, I try to stop at the ale house. Excellent for lunch, snacks, or just a pint of their wonderful beer. In the heart of Old Town Auburn. Love it!

• Visited April 2014
Reno, Nevada
“Outstanding Clam Chowder; Poor Service”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband, friend and I stopped here on the way to Folsom from Reno. My husband's friend suggested we meet him there since he lives in Auburn and it's his go-to restaurant.
We popped in for dinner on a Friday night. We parked next to the restaurant which requires a ticket from the parking meter. The parking meter box was difficult to read since it was a dark and
rainy night. It didn't accept cash and once we figured out which way to swipe our credit card, we were good to go. A light near the box would be helpful for out-of-towners in order to read the directions.
We had to wait an hour for our name to be called. There is very limited seating inside the restaurant to wait. So, we stood for an hour along with several other people in the very noisy, packed restaurant.
Once we were seated, the server took his time with us. I noticed he had several regular customers who received more attention than we did. My husband, friend nor I drink beer. My husband's friend raved about the beer. So, if you're a beer drinker, this place will be for you! My New England clam chowder was the best I've ever had! It was smoky and had big chunks of clams. It was delicious. I wish I ordered a bowl and not a cup. It was that good! Unfortunately, my appetizer crab cakes arrived cold. They were smothered in a Dijon sauce. I couldn't adequately taste the crab cakes under the Dijon sauce. I would've returned them but knew a new order of crab cakes would take forever due to the slow service from our waiter.
I will definitely give this restaurant another try but not on a busy weekend Winter night.

• Visited February 2014
Yuba City, California
“Excellent beers, good eats”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Two buddies and I planned a brewery day trip and this was the first of the two we stopped at. We arrived at about 11:30 a.m. after about an hour and fifteen minute drive from out home town. Even though it was raining, old town Auburn was very busy and we had to park about a block away from the restaurant. When we got there a sign on the door informed us that the toilets were not working because of the rain (flooded). The hostess told us a restroom was available right across the street at a little mall. We high tailed it across the street and were back at the restaurant within minutes.

We were seated right away and a waiter came by and gave us menus and asked us if we wanted anything to drink. We all asked for water and requested the beer sampler which included eleven different beers that were currently on tap. We also requested appetizers, calamari and deep fried pickle chips. He brought our water back very quickly. After about 10 minutes our trays arrived with out beer samples. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the beers and explained each one to us. After he had explained about all the beers he went back to the kitchen where our appetizers were waiting and brought them out.

The calamari was good, basically the tentacles deep fried. But the deep fried pickle chips were to die for. Totally awesome and I've been craving them ever since. We then placed our orders for our meals. My friends each ordered the Cuban Pulled Pork sandwiches and I ordered the pub burger. My friends both said the sandwiches were great and my burger was one of the better burgers I've tried.

After our meal we asked our server about T-shirts, bottled beer and beer glasses. They had everything we wanted and after a few minutes figuring out what T-shirt I wanted and what beers to take home we made our final purchases. We were there about a total of two hours but never felt rushed even when it got busy.

By the time we were done the restaurant was packed. And the rain was coming down hard and heavy. But we were in a jovial mood and the rain didn't hamper our spirits. And we were ready and able to visit our next stop. I hope to go back there again for the great beer and those oh so good deep fried pickle chips.

• Visited February 2014