“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Motel 6 Auburn

Motel 6 Auburn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I was surprised by all the negative reviews for this place. Good thing I didn't looks them up prior to my stay, because it turned out to be really good. I don't believe in writing reviews for motel chains what's the point?? They're all the same! Except this one.

The room I was in was obviously newly remodeled, everything has a modern feel to it; flat screen mounted to the wall, shelves instead of drawers, hard wood flooring. best of all they got rid of their signature printed motif for the beds. Now it's just white sheets with gold runner. Sink was also changed. Only thing that still resembles a motel 6 is the bathroom. It still feels and looks used/old. Two little bars of soap provided (typical of motel6 don't know why ppl.complain about it). I was extremely impressed that it has a fridge and a safety box, extremely convenient and unexpected.

The check in guy was also very courteous, efficient, and professional. This place does cost more than other motel 6, not sure if it's the location, the rennovation they're doing or.jist that weekend. Overall for its class it surpassed my expectations.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Lilia_KT
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Auburn

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Booked in here for 2 nights as running a trail race in Cool. Check in took forever, for no apparent reason. Half the outside of the hotel was under renovation and i was given a room which the exterior was being worked on. Loudly. Then 2 workmen walked into my room, no knock nothing. Noisy from 3-5pm. The room had a fridge and microwave. The TV worked on some channels. No shampoo etc just a v small bar of soap. Right by the freeway so also noisy. After 1 night i booked out and moved to the Larkspur Landing in Roseville for pretty much the same rate, a world of difference. This hotel is fine if you get there late and leave early, otherwise forget it.

Room Tip: Definitely not one being worked on!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2012

2011, I began struggling physically with extreme chronic pain. Needing a place to "get away" and Pray, I wasn't sure what to expect (several experiences with Motel 6 have NOT been pleasant), but I love Auburn, & took a chance.
This new motel six was clean, inexpensive and beautiful! I was very happy with my stay COMPLETELY!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank AlanBeckyR
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We entered our room looked around and went to front desk to ask for our money back, of course they said NO! It was dirty, ants all over the counter and bathroom. I've never stayed at a hotel where I didn't want to sit on a toilet!! The shower looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in a while. There was inches of dirt all the way around the room. The drug dealer who stood outside at the back entrance was scary as hell, I was not surprised when 4 K9 unit cops showed up to sniff for drugs. There is a reason why its so cheap! I called the corporate office and filed a complaint.

Room Tip: Instead of giving us our money back they offered us another room... I asked... DO YOU REALLY CLEAN O...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Angie L
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Everything else was great. Bathroom was clean, non-smoking room, great location (walk to Ikedas! jog down to the highest bridge in CA, short drive to Ruck-A-Chucky if you are a Western States 100 fan) The motion-sensing of the lights was surprising the first time as was the infrequent but nearby train line but not a big deal to me. I'd give 5 stars if the pool worked (closed for maintenance). It was hot in Auburn and I was jonesing for a swim. Check-in was quick and the desk staff were very courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: 1st floor is smoking but you can't smell it on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2011

My wife and I returned from breakfast on Friday, December 23, and found that our key card would not open our door. After about 45 minutes of back and forth with the clerk, a maintenance man successfully opened our door.

But this was the last straw for us.

The room had a motion-detection light thing so that, if you sat for 10 minutes reading a book, the light went out and you had to reset it.

We'd made a reservation for two adults, and yet there were no bath towels.

And so on.

So, we decided to cancel the second night and go somewhere else. THE CLERK REFUSED TO GIVE US A BILL SHOWING THAT WE WERE CHARGED FOR ONE NIGHT. When I asked to talk to her boss, she said that he was in India. When I asked her to give me whatever bill she could give me, she said that they didn't give bills for rooms that were reserved over the Net.

Please don't go there. Spend the extra $10-$20 and go to the Comfort Inn next door.

In all sincerity,

Kim, Los Angeles

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank jgwollaston
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The good: the price was cheap, about $55 for the night, for a family of four. Two double beds, the sheets were clean. The bathroom was clean as well, and the staff was nice during check in. It is pet friendly and had no issues with our dog. It was right off the freeway, so easy access, and there were gas stations close by and a few fast food joints along with a grocery store. We stayed in a room on the end furthest from the freeway and did not hear any road noise. The A/C-heater-fan and tv worked fine.

The bad: no frills. (but what do you expect? it IS a Motel 6!) The beds were doubles, not queens. Made for a tight squeeze, but they were comfortable atleast. The floor.... it was bad! Bad enough I did not want to even walk on it with my socks on, just my shoes. It needed to be replaced.... a shampoo job wouldnt have made a dent.

We never tried the free coffee in the lobby or any other services (if they even had any, which I did not even attempt to find out)

Bottom line... if staying here during a trip as just a place to sleep and only staying one night, it might be worth a look. I would not stay here longer than that.

Room Tip: Use your phone/computer and look on expedia (or other travel site) for a lower rate than the walk in...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank erixun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Best Western Golden Key
Red Lion Inn and Suites Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
#2 of 7 in Auburn
Heritage Inn Express Rocklin
Days Inn Rocklin/Sacramento
Comfort Inn & Suites Rocklin

Been to Motel 6 Auburn? Share your experiences!