“The Sicilian Girl is at it again! Delicioso!”

Tre Pazzi Trattoria
Ranked #6 of 174 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This reastaurant has been around for a while. I have walked and driven by this place 100's of times. Not until I read an article in the Sacramento Bee about his restaurant and I had friends tell me that they enjoyed the meal, did I ever set foot into this trattatoria.
It was my fun day to have lunch with girlfriends. We were celebrating life in general so a couple of us had a glass of Merlot. I ordered gnocchi – emilia romagna with onion, carrot, celery, italian sausage, pancetta and canellini beans in a san marzano tomato sauce resting on top of gnocchi. The cannellini beans were an interesting surprise but all of the ingredients blended into an extremely delicious meal. One of my girlfriends ordered linguine alle vongole with fresh clams over linguine in a white wine, garlic butter sauce. I had a taste and the clams were scrumptuous! My other girlfriend ordered something with pasta and chicken. I didn't taste it but she said it was very good. None of us brought home a doggie bag. We had two baskets of bread that was very fresh and great tasting. A little history of the name proves to be very interesting. "The Pazzi family were Tuscan nobles who were bankers in Florence in the 15th century....The family stemmed from Pazzo (“the madman”). Trust me, this food was absolutely the best of two of my favorite Italian restaurants in Auburn, California. Quoting from their website: "We have created a menu consisting of Traditional Italian Cuisine. All of our dishes are made in house and prepared to order using local ingredients when available. Simplicity and freshness are the key to authentic Italian cooking." This is the best way to eat Italinian food -- fresh from the cucina!

1  Thank GrammyJ43

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I stumbled on this wonderful restaurant in Auburn, California. We were seated promptly and ordered their house red wine. All their wines are from Italy, so you really can't go wrong. Our waitress herself was from Italy as well! As a second generation full Italian, I am very picky about Italian food having grown up surrounded by amazing cooks ( my grandparents, my aunts and my mother) . This place is the real deal! The house salads we started with were fresh and a good size. I had the eggplant rolantini as my main course ( it is listed as an appetizer) and it was plenty for me and so delicious. My husband had the gluten free ( yes they have gluten free pasta) pasta with Wild Boar. He devoured it and said it was simply amazing. We shared a very decadent chocolate dessert. The atmosphere is casual, but clean and modern. A great neighborhood place. We can't wait to go back

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Wow, we literally stumbled upon Tre Pazzi as we were driving through the old part of Auburn. The restaurant has outdoor seating and great street appeal, AND they grow fresh herbs in their planters, which they use in their dishes.

Our server was gracious and efficient and she shared information about the area, including some wonderful history. We really appreciated all the time she spent with us.

My husband order the bolognese, really?, when DOESN'T he order the bolognese? He loved it and raved about it for two days afterwards. I am not really a pasta eater, but I ate the postage stamp pasta and we shared a salad.

Hey this is for Vickinbobyo, YEP, we've traveled all over Italy and had many good meals and a few bad ones. I'll have to say that Tre Pazzi was better than MANY of the highly rated restaurants in Tuscany and Umbria. So give it another try.

We were treated like royalty. We'd go back again and again. I like to support small restaurants with quality food. If they don't do something the way you want it done, why not ask for a do-over instead of condemning them?

1  Thank SLL009
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had read the review in "The Sacramento Bee" and decided to give it a try. Auburn was where I grew up and I remember this space as Burn's Pharmacy and then Brownie's Donuts in the 60s and 70s.

We had an excellent meal with great service and will definitely return. We began the night with a Chianti Classico for Volpaia for $30, but they actually have some excellent Italian wines for $20.

For our first course we had Polenta con Funghi (creamy white polenta with wild mushroom ragu) for $7 and Involtini alle Melanzane (eggplant – lightly floured, grilled & rolled, stuffed with roasted red peppers, spinach and asiago cheese) for $9. Both were very flavorful and excellent.

For our main courses we had Carbonara alla Roma (Ilinguine tossed in a sauce made with an egg and fresh parmesan, topped with crispy pancetta) for $11 and the Papperdelle with Chingiale Sauce $15. Both were excellent.

For dessert we tried the tre velluti (layers of white, dark and hazelnut chocolate) $5.

Our server Ally was very attentive and fun and made the experience even better.

The only downside was that the espresso was very poor and flavorless. They need to up their game by buying a better brand of coffee. We love Illy.

They have a very full menu including pizza. Almost too many items as they apparently do not make their own pasta. Will definitely return to try more.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was most impressed by the food and service in Tre Pazzi. I have been traveling to Italy recently so I'm pretty hard to please with Italian food stateside! My friend and I had traditional lasagna and veal marsala. Both were wonderful! The lasagna was very delicate as in Italy, though with a bit more cheese that seems to appeal to American tastes. Tender veal and a light sauce for the other dish. We also enjoyed the ambiance. The $6 a glass pinot noir from Tuscany was delicious. Our waitress was from Siicily and just darling! I will absolutely return to Tre Pazzi ("3 Crazies") on my next visit to Auburn.