All reviewstruck parkingspacious roomtwo queen bedsconvenient locationwitahoefreeway
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We wanted to take a last minute trip to visit Grass Valley and Nevada City. Unfortunately the combination of last minute booking, mid-sized dog and baby limited our choice - actually there was nothing available near those cities. We found the Super 8 in Auburn that had a room plus no problem with either the baby or dog. We booked it and was pleasantly surprised to find the room only cost $80 a night (our budget was $150 a night).

I looked at the reviews of the hotel after booking and realized that we may have booked a lemon. However when we got there it actually wasn't that bad. It wasn't great either, but for money it was good enough. The service manager was really helpful and pleasant. Our baby and dog soon trashed the room and we were relieved that we hadn't booked a more expensive place. Since we were mostly in Nevada County for the day and evening we just used the room just to sleep.

We laughed at the irony that we had paid good money to stay at a cheap motel when we live in a beautiful cabin in the trees in Mill Valley but hey there's nothing like getting away for a break from the routine.

We wouldn't stay at the hotel again if we had a choice - we were desperate - and now that we know the area we will book well in advance and probably rent a cabin in future (hotel rooms are too small for a small child and dog).

As long as your expectations are realistic you should be fine. Our impression of the hotel was certainly better than some of these other reviews.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2009

I won't be staying here again. We drove 13 hours and made reservations and were told "oops, I forgot to hit save in the computer...your room was given to someone else." Rooms weren't very clean and the staff was not very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Facility generally okay; BUT carpet was filthy-turned bottoms of my feet black. The last night, while I was out, the front desk gave two keys to my room to someone who thought this was the room he was booked into - they did not verify with the simple question of " this room is currently booked in the name of ...; is this the right room?" I came back to my room to find an unknown man in my bathroom/shower - frightened him as much as me. Fortunately he was a nice man, and I had nothing of value in my room. the desk's response was to offer to move me to another room at 10:00 at night. they did find the right room for this gentleman. i requested a comp for this night - their response was 50% for this night and 50% for the next time I come back - don't think so! If they are going to give keys out willy-nilly to whoever walks in off the street and asks for a key to a room with no verification - this is not a place I would feel safe.

I chose this property as this is where my sister had been staying off/on for several weeks as we move my father from hospital to assisted living facility and prepare to sell his home.

This facility could have benefited as my sister will continue to need a domicile for several more weeks - however after this experience, it is unlikely she will choose to return.

I may be mis-guided, but I thought the facility was over-priced at $67 a night, even with the discount.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2008

There are much better places to stay in Auburn. Where to start?

I booked this place because i was staying in Auburn for 3 weeks for work and i needed a reasonable priced place to stay. I've never stayed at a Super 8 but i figured how bad could it be. I mean the pictures looked good, right? Well i was wrong.

the first room i got into was disgusting. The room stunk so bad i couldn't stand it for more than a couple minutes. Not to mention it looked like someone had just been in there and the tv was on.

The second room i got still stunk but it was at least bearable but the room was still disgusting. The carpets were nasty and looked like they hadn't been cleaned in weeks, the tv sucked and i had to keep playing with the cable to get a signal, the door was broken and the safety lock didn't work, the toilet kept running and the handle was broken, and the shower had pubes in it. Also a pet pieve, the room had no usable outlets to plug a laptop or anything into. i had to move the dresser out of the way and unplug a lamp.

To top the whole thing off, i was going to put up with all that but the second day i got back to my room there was a threat note door GLUED to my door in a manilla envelope. The note read, "It's time for you to pay for my pain. it went up in the last year. It went up $300,000". I was kinda freaked out so i brought it to the office. Well long story short, the note turned out to be from the manager husband (husband and wife managed). I guess they have been having "problems" with customers canceling and re-booking reservations thru certain agencies. I'm not sure how this affects them negatively but he seemed to think so. And since i had to cancel my reservation due to a work delay and re-book it and it had been thru one of these agencies, he thought i was behind the whole thing. So he actually put a threat note on my door. i should've called the police but i was too confused by the whole situation. He even admitted, "uh oh, I'm going to get in trouble with my wife because she just heard us talking". his wife didn't know he had been threating inocent Super 8 customers. Too bad he's a manager or i'd find a way to get him fired. The whole staff isn't very friendly.

So, DONT STAY AT THE AUBURN, CA SUPER 8!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank destinationrevealed
Reviewed 13 January 2008

We spent Friday night at the Super8 motel in Auburn. The hotel is nice but noisy.
We were woken up at 6am by the sound of a truck's engine. The engine was running for 15 minutes in the parking lot. When I inquired at the reception about the truck's engine noise, they just replied that they get a lot of truckers and they are warning up the engines.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family