“Not too bad”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Not too bad”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was a nice place, right off the main road. Easy access to freeway. Nice breakfast daily. The staff was very nice, and helpful. Coffee in the lobby also. Mini fridges in room along with microwaves. Close to every thing. Rooms were quite & clean.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eerb19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We have an annual retreat in Applegate, CA and normally stay at the Comfort Inn in nearby Auburn. This year we noticed that Hotel.com gave the Quality inn a higher rating than the Comfort Inn, a rating falling in the excellent category, so we decided to give Quality Inn a try.

Excellent? I don't think so...but this standard two-star motel was certainly good. (Since Tripadvisor does not have a good category, and my experience was better than average, I am rating it very good.) Check-in was prompt and friendly. I thought I had requested a first floor room (I have bad knees), but they were gone. The room was good sized, clean and quiet. It contained two queen-sized beds, two chairs (yes!...even some expensive hotels give us only one), a table, chest of drawers with a TV (not a flat screen) on top, microwave, refrigerator (which made no sound) and a safe.The bed was fine but unremarkable.

Looking out the window I saw a large swimming pool. Unfortunately there was no paper pad or pen available for me to write notes for this review. The Quality Inn offers free Wi-Fi and has a very slow computer in the office which is always available for guests to use.

The shower? Fine, but the water flow was weak, and the bath towel was small and thin.
And breakfast? Fine, if you're a conventional eater (eggs, waffles, yougurt, etc.) Unsatisfactory, if you're a vegan. My breakfast consisted of relatively unhealthy bread with jelly and orange juice. I asked for cereal, and the answer was, "Sorry...."

Without much enthusiasm, I'd recommend the Quality Inn for a one night stay. (I missed the fitness center and covered hallways of the Comfort Inn. (Next time....)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Orange, California
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We had reserved three rooms for a family visit. The photos of the rooms must have been taken long ago or the rooms have not been maintained.

I am listing the pros and cons based off of our visit.

Pros:
1. The motel is convenient for freeway access and had several places to eat within a short distance.
2. The motel is across the street from Ikedas a good local hamburger joint and market.
3. Room has an oversized refrigerator and microwave oven. Room also had ironing board and iron.
4. We left a charger in our room. After a phone call, the front desk picked up the charger and held it for us at the front desk.

Cons:
1. Room was pretty run down and dated.
2. Motel rooms consisted of two doubles, not queens.
3. Mattresses were extremely old and soft in our room. (In front building.) Other rooms in our party seemed to have had better mattresses then we had.
4. Bathroom floor was dirty.
5. Room bath towels were extremely thin and small. Only two bath towels were in a room for four guests. We requested two extra bath towels and they were of even poorer quality.
7. Breakfast was served in a converted guest room on the second floor of the front building, not a traditional hospitality/dining room. Drinks were served out of a broken soda style machine, not pitchers.

I will probably stay in a different motel next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room in the front building facing the freeway. They are extremly noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank OCFAMILY4
Joe C, General Manager at Quality Inn Auburn, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
I would like to think you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Quality Inn Auburn. We value both good and bad reviews, so that is why I take each one very seriously. Your issues with the bath towels and cleanness of the bathroom will be discussed at our next Room Attendants meeting. In order to provide more space for our guest to enjoy the great hot breakfast we provide, two of our guest rooms had to be opened up so that we could have more table space. Our juice dispenser is a Nestle Professional Vitality unit which serves Orange and Apple juice. When you are back in the area I hope that you give us the opportunity to be of service to you and your group.

Travellers are raving about these Auburn hotels

Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

Good value for a night's stay on the way snowboarding. The room was clean with plenty of pillows. The bed was a bit stiff and down pillows were quite fluffy. The heater was a bit noisy but worked well. The extra security lock was broken off so that was a bit unnerving. We were in a room towards the back of the hotel complex. It seemed like that room had been broken into before.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Silasmommy
Joe C, General Manager at Quality Inn Auburn, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Hello Valued Guest,

On behalf of the entire hotel staff we would like to thank you for staying with us at the Quality Inn Gold Country (Auburn). We appreciate the feedback regarding your stay experience. Also, thank you for bringing the security lock to our attention. We will have our maintenance staff make the proper repairs to the lock in the room you stayed. Again, thank you and we would love to have you back with us when you return to the Auburn area.

Joe Collins
530-885-7025
California City, California
Reviewed 11 February 2013

This hotel is one of the better Quality Inns. The location is conveniently located off the freeway near gas stations and restaurants. The clerk - Joe - was friendly and helpful even though it was a long day for him. He greeted us with a friendly smile and made us feel "right at home." the rooms are updated as well as the bathrooms but there is some wear and tear. Nothing major. The heater is extremely loud so you won't be able to run it during the night if it gets cold. You'll need to bundle up or bring extra blankets. Ask for a room away from the freeway for a quiet night stay. Didn't even hear our neighbors or the traffic. The breakfast is really hardy - waffles, variety of breads, scrambled/hard boiled eggs, bacon, oatmeal, pastries, cereals, juice, coffee, fruit, etc. They offered more than other hotels. Staff was friendly and polite. perfect for a good night rest before heading out to ski. hotel is approx 1 hour to Truckee. $ much cheaper than the hotels in Truckee or South Lake Tahoe. If you go, say hello to "Joe."

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roadrat12
Riverside, Illinois
Reviewed 22 October 2012

The hotel was clean. Staff extremely friendly. Hot breakfast. Nothing extremely special but way better than just continental. Doors face the outside so I would suggest to request a second floor room. Bed was average. Overall, I'd say this was a good hotel if you're looking for something cheap.

Room Tip: Request a 2nd floor room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
York, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This place is good to crash for the night IF you're exausted and don't want to drive anymore.I am glad I only stayed one night here.The people that wrote good reviews on it,must have gotten a lot better room then I did.I am not that picky of a person but this place had some pros and cons but mostly cons. First, there were ants all over the bathroom, the sheet on my bed had a cigarette burn hole in it and the sheets were clean, but seem to have stains in them still. It's like they couldn't afford to buy new sheets. The carpet was pretty dirty too so I wore my sandals. On the up side, the price was cheap (thank goodness becuase it made up for the other negative things), the bed was pretty comfy, and the breakfast was pretty good.I would not stay here again however.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Kickindajunk02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Best Western Golden Key
Holiday Inn Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
#2 of 7 in Auburn
Red Lion Inn and Suites Auburn
Heritage Inn Express Rocklin
Comfort Inn & Suites Rocklin
Days Inn Rocklin/Sacramento

Been to Quality Inn Auburn? Share your experiences!