“Nice hotel! Close to everything.”
Review of Holiday Inn Auburn

Holiday Inn Auburn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I recently stayed here for an area event. The rooms were very nice and quiet. The refrigerator had a freezer section (rare for a hotel room refrigerator), the bed had firm and soft pillows nicely labelled.

The hotel has appealing architecture. The gym had an oddly designed all-in-one "bow flex" type machine (for example, the weight stack right next to the leg press did not control the leg press, the one on the other side of the machine did), a treadmill, bike and elliptical. It had a central TV and purified water. I was happy with the gym and got a good weight lifting workout in.

The restaurant "Max's Grill" was good. The service was at a good level for our party of 12. 300 feet from the hotel door (and in the same parking lot) is an In 'N Out.

The pool and jaccuzzi looked nice, but I did not use. There is no hotel breakfast and the restaurant does not open until 8am. My group had to be at the event by 630, so that was the only negative I had.

The rooms had in one of the nightstand drawers a book from Trip Advisor of the top user submitted photos of the prior year. That was a nice touch.

The hotel is within walking distance of downtown and it's sights and is a 3 minute (or less) 1.5 mile drive to the Auburn State Recreational Area which has many hiking trails.

If I return to Auburn, this is where I will stay without a second thought.

Room Tip: My room was facing the In 'N Out. I heard no noise from the nearby freeway, although if I opene...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My family and I attended a wedding in Auburn at the end of August it was a lovely time. The service I received at Max's grill was pleasant the first day friendly staff. The next day we had a large crowd since this was hotel of choice for the wedding party. The server we had at Max's took forever to get our order she literally ignored us as we were the last bunch to arrive in the group. We waited over 35 minutes for our food. I asked her why we hadn't received our food? She responded with a terrible attitude that we did not wait to be seated! I continued with the questions the female was quite argumentative and sadly my children witnessed her indifference towards us! After asking for the manager who was completely understanding and professional took care of the issue. She also apologized for the service we received with all honesty I don't care if the female server had a bad day it was certainly not the fault of my children! It was like my family was being punished for not following her rules!! Terrible experience and the good was mediocre.

• Stayed: August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Cyndism,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed here on the way to Tahoe. It accomplished the goal. It was clean and quiet. There is a Max's attached to the hotel which serves a nice breakfast. It was a little pricier than some of the other hotels in Auburn, but we were happy with our choice. As a bonus it is located next to an In and Out burger.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here for one night on the way to Tahoe. It's nice, clean and convenient. I didn't have the breakfast, but from what I understand it's a sit-down breakfast versus your typical motel self-serve buffet. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Don't know how a motel without a microwave, including the lobby, rates a 3 star. It was clean and may be the place to stay in Auburn when comparing the 5 other hotels in town. Not very large rooms, but it is clean. Location was not the best for dining options ( Foresthill exit has the most options, and all other hotels), but did I mention the Holiday inn is clean.

Room Tip: Stay first floor in the back, you don't have to enter through the lobby
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear pat c,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so pleased you liked the cleanliness of our hotel. We would like to apologize for any shortfalls you have experienced. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the weekend before Christmas. It served as our family's base for all holiday celebrations in Auburn and Nevada City. The hotel is centrally located close to the highway and historic downtown Auburn. The lobby is large, roomy and clean. It was nicely decorated for the holiday season. The check in process was extremely easy and as IHG club members we got a complementary bag of goodies for the kids. The room was clean and well furnished. The bathroom was clean and well lit. There was a good selection of channels on TV and the room comes with complementary internet. One of the nice features of the hotel was that if your room is located in the back of the hotel then you can use a back door to get to your room. This is important because the location of elevator in this hotel is absurdly far from the lobby. Other than this, the only other negative was the attitude of the guy at the front desk when we checked out. He didn't say anything but it was obvious he was annoyed that I had disturbed his conversation with another staff member with my untimely decision to check out.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The staff was helpful. Kids can get a discount meal at Max's which is great. The hotel was very clean. The location is convenient, though at night it was hard to find the real entrance. Signage could be better. The beds were comfortable.
Overall, very good deal and nothing to complain about. Great for families.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Best Western Golden Key
#4 of 10 in Grass Valley
Super 8 Auburn
Super 8 Auburn
#5 of 7 in Auburn

Been to Holiday Inn Auburn? Share your experiences!