“A little spendy, but undeniably good”
Review of CC Gallagher

CC Gallagher
Ranked #5 of 7 Dessert in Avalon
Cuisines: Sushi, Healthy, Cafe, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This spacious coffee bistro and gallery is hard to miss at the east end of town. Good coffee, nice wine/beer selection, and yummy desserts make this a worthwhile stop. The gallery assortment is a little eclectic, but you might find something of interest. Breathe deep when you look at the pricing and just remember that you're on vacation.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I don't understand the negative reviews! For one, the service was impeccable. The staff is friendly and helpful and knowledgable and went out of their way during both my visits to make sure I wasn't exposed to gluten (my allergy) during my meals. They went into the kitchen, they read ingredient labels. They took care of me! Which is far more than I usually experience in any big city restaurant, and I experienced nothing else like it elsewhere on Catalina. Other Catalina restaurants would simply say "Good luck!" when I informed them of my gluten allergy. So CC Gallagher was a godsend. Thank you guys!

Secondly, the food and wine were outstanding. On both visits I had their sushi, and had a lot of it. The "isthmus" is easily among the very best sushi I've eaten in my life, and I've eaten a lot of sushi all over the world. The sashimi was perfect in flavour and texture and preparation. These are real pros here.

As I left after my second visit, I impulse-purchased a small flourless chocolate cake to enjoy the next morning on the ferry back to Long Beach. That too was spot on. Perfection. Its consistency was out of this world; it just melted in my mouth. Even the morning after I bought it.

When I go back to Catalina, as I hope to soon, this will be my first stop.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I visited CC Gallagher and was taken with the friendly owner and great decor, DO NOT BE FOOLED. We got coffee and an apricot danish, the danish was stale and not good (how did I pay $4 for a day old danish??, it was only 10 am!). We also were trying to decide whether to buy some wine, but were on a cruise and did not want to have it confiscated when we got on the boat. The owner assured us that they get cruises everyday and we could definitely take it aboard. Definitely not, it was confiscated as soon as we stepped foot on the ship, and we were told that that has always been the rule. The owner just lied to us in order to make the sale, completely immoral and lacking class.

1  Thank GeologyRocksKara
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Doing it their own way kinda sums up the place. Nothing's completely standardized. The Mediterranean salad was uniquely theirs. Zesty dressing on very fresh greens with a scoop of hummus nearby.

Goat cheese drizzled with olive oil and their own version of 'crostini'.

The round NY cheesecake for dessert was a bit blah, but the view from the outside dining area was charmingly Catalina.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I'm not exactly sure why the over all rating for this place is 4 stars? Pretty deceptive and I suspect it is possible it has been skewed.

I decided to visit CC Gallagher. It looked interesting from the outside and the 4 stars made me think it would be pretty good. My first impression once inside was, "What kind of place are you?" The decorations span from Moroccan, to Mexican, to Beach Side to wine bar slash beer bar, slash ice cream store (gelato), to vegan eatery, to sushi bar, to I don't even know what????? Find a theme guys.

Everything about this place screamed tacky funky and it was dirty. Take a look up sometimes folks. Those white fabric things you have hanging are filthy. You completely block the best part of the establishment, the window view, with crappy wind chimes. Also, are you a restaurant or are you selling island knick-knacks?

I ordered a panini sandwich and it was far from being worth $14. Horrible. The turkey was right out of a package and sparse on the sandwich. Nothing we ate was impressive AT ALL. Also, there was only us and one other couple in the place at the time and yet the service was not very good despite seeing 4 employees walking around inside.

I would say, pass on this place and find something better. Don't let the overall high review fool you like it did me.

1  Thank Bsaw