“I want to go back!!!!!”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Katonah, New York
“I want to go back!!!!!”
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I can't say enough about this Mediterranean delight without a trip to greece, italy, spain..... We had this trip awhile ago, and I'm remiss for not rating/reviewing it earlier.
We had the Beach House, a home away from home - and I can't forget the images of the intelligent room comfort and design(s), views out to the ocean and street, markets, the open spacious light filled areas of cooking, dining, resting- the wrap around deck.... I want a home like this! We were there with kids ( yeah, I know!!!) but I recommend this for couples + friends.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tripper4ever_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Santa Maria, California
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Check in was easy, (though didn't feel like a huge priority as the woman helping me was also looking over my shoulder and helping others late check out behind me) and our rooom was clean. It was located behind the Vons (grocery store) and they operate some kind of hydraulic lift so it was a little loud but didn't keep us from sleep. Room was clean and neat. Has a gas fireplace so could be real cozy in the fall/winter months. There is a small hot tub on the roof top but no pool. Continental breakfast was good. Service to room was fast for items like addtional glasses etc.

Room Tip: Businesses downstairs are loud at night and in the morning but not too early and not too late. If y...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank hikingbee
Newport Beach, California, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We have been staying at the Metropole Hotel for many yrs off and on, but this will probably be our last. The first room they gave us had filthy stained carpet as well as a blood stain on the bedskirt. The next day I mentioned to the person who gave me a massage, and she seemed horrified and promised to tell the manager and change our room. They actually did give us a new room, on the 4th floor with a balcony and great view, but this room also had very dirty stained carpet. We travel all over the world and this was the worst anyplace we have been. Someone said a decorator sold them bad carpet 6 mos. ago and if this is true, they need to sue her and the carpet manufacturer. Otherwise this has always been our favorite place in Avalon.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leslie K
catalinagregg, Owner at Hotel Metropole, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Truly sorry about the carpets. We are reviewing all rooms currently and will be replacing as required. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our property and will continue to strive to offer modern, attractive and clean rooms and common area facilities. Please consider giving us another opportunity and we will work hard to meet your expectations.
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My daughter was getting married on the island and we brought our boat over. It was nice tying up to the dingy dock below the yacht club and staying here. Convenient to everything.

I will say I was not happy about getting a pair of earrings stolen. That means they had to go through my bags to find them.
I phoned but they did not offer any solution. SO.... WATCH YOUR STUFF!
I am also missing some nice lotion but I will attribute that to maybe "forgetting".

It was a nice room. Clean and had much needed air conditioning. Our room was a little noisy as there is some air compressor out the front door and below.
I Liked the elevator option and the cont. breakfast was great. They could use magnified mirrors in the sink area and a little better lighting for women.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Madrene
Toledo, OH
Reviewed 16 August 2012 via mobile

This hotel stay was fabulous. The room is small, but we got a room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard-very nice! The hotel room looks like it came right out of a pottery barn catalog. We loved the turn down service at night, the hotel staff personable and very helpful. This hotel is smack dab in the center of the main drag-so convenient!! The jacuzzi on the fourth floor is neat-overlooks the ocean. This hotel does not have a bar and restaurant nor do they have room service but they have a nice continental breakfast for the guests. There are restaurants within yards of this hotel though so that is not even an issue. We absolutely adore this hotel and we would definitely come back!!!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank emutennis
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We arrived, the room was dark because the window literally face a wall. That in all is ok although I think that should have been advertised. Second the carpet was really dirty with pieces of floss on the floor, wine cap and tissues under the bedside stand, and that alone was a bit of a turn off. Third we tried to do some work, but this room has zero internet connection. Also a thing that should be advertised since I am sure I am not the first one to complain out it. On our last night my wife had a nice green Lacoste polo shirt with a white collar sitting on the chair and that disappeared. We have travelled the world and stayed in some countries where I could have understand if a piece of clothing would have been missing.
So overall we just had bad luck with the Metropole, and for $ 250.- I really do expect a little more service then just that. To the Hotel's credit they did take one night of our bill, guess its back to the snug harbor inn next time. The breakfast was nice, the jacuuzi upstairs was fun too

Room Tip: I think we had room 213 do not pick that and second ask if your room as wifi if that is what you nee...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank swissworld
catalinagregg, Owner at Hotel Metropole, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Even 22 years into the game, it still hurts every time a guest is unsatisfied with their stay. I truly appreciate your comments and we will continue to try to do a better job. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and I have discussed this situation with the housekeeping department. We have had a WiFi problem in about 3 of our rooms, including yours. We are working with our Tech people to correct that situation. Over the years we have had an extremely low incidence of room theft and most of our housekeeping department has been with us for many years. We of course offered to pay for the missing item and comped one of your two nights. Room 213 is a Moderate room and the staff is trained to let people know that the room has no view and faces a wall, we apologize if that was not explained to you. I hope you will reconsider and try the Metropole again on a future stay.
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed here for our first trip to Catalina and the hotel was amazing, from complimentary champagne and warm cookies and milk to even taking care of our bags when we checked out and still wanted to see more of the island!

• Stayed July 2012