“AMAZING”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 14 August 2013

our hotel room was incredible! This is by far the best hotel on Catalina Island. Its the farthest down which is awesome but still around all the shops and stuff. I love the location. I love the HUGE bath tub in the room and our balcony and fireplace~! All so lovely and romantic and amazing. Best EVER!!!!!! Will always stay at this hotel! The roof top spa was always filled with people and its VERY SMALL fits 4 people. Also the continental breakfast is a tiny baby,, hardly no food.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Our family of 4 stayed in the Superior Room and amazed at the view and over value. Clean, very comfortable beds and great breakfast in the morning. Great value and the view from the room was amazing.

The front desk needs help with sharing the best places to go and the little things. My wife wanted to work out and told there was no gym. But of course, downstairs was a cycling class for FREE if you stay at the hotel and never mentioned.

Close to beach and the place was like no other

Room Tip: Rooms 303-308 are two beds for family with balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was my first visit to Catalina Island and I was traveling with a native Californian so wanted to have an amazing experience. The hotel is in an excellent location - overlooking the water but with the main street between. The room was a suite which was actually in a separate portion of the hotel - entered by walking through a shopping area or from the main street. There is no gym in the hotel so you athletic addicts beware!! Also for the safety conscious - no in-room safes either!! No pool either!! The service was mixed - one day we literally though we had entered a different dimension while at the front desk - perhaps it was the inexperience of the staff. The street was also loud which actually precluded sleeping with the windows open and the need for the anemic air conditioning! Overall it was a mixed adventure!

Room Tip: Perhaps stay on the backside away from the street
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles R
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stay here every year for the Catalina Marathon with my family. Staff made a large effort to be friendly and made my stay very enjoyable. My room had high ceilings and a nice balcony that overlooked the ocean. Never had trouble sleeping even though I was the one who had to sleep on the roll away bed and didn't hear any noise. Also love the little breakfast bar downstairs that had cereal, toast, bagels, and coffee. Was very close to the center of Avalon and had many places that I could enjoy a good lunch and dinner. My favorite part was the rooftop hot tub that had an amazing view of the ocean and was very enjoyable during the night.

Try this hotel and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd Floor. They are the ones that have balconies that overlook the ocean. The othe...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jack M
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Sorry I did not leave a review sooner. We actually visited Hotel Metropole for 3 days starting March 31, 2013. My daughter wanted to go back to Catalina to celebrate her birthday with friends. We got an amazing deal for my daughter's 13th birthday. Free boat ride as well as 30% off our stay. Sadly we were off to a bad start. My daughter's cat needed to go to the ER at 11:30pm the night before the boat would depart. We left him in the care of my mother and the ER, not knowing the bill, prognosis, or if he would survive. Not a great way to start a teenagers birthday, but we had many friends joining us in Catalina and couldn't back out last minute. Frazzled, walking into the hotel, the staff overheard me talking to my mother regarding cost and prognosis of the cat, the staff was patient and made us feel at ease. They did not disappoint and upgraded us to a larger room at no cost. All staff was courteous, friendly, knowledgeable and available when needed. Room was modern, clean and a great size and in working order. Beds were nice and comfortable. Roof top Jacuzzi was relaxing and the complimentary continental breakfast was great for two teens in tow. The hotel was perfect walking distance from everything in town. The teens loved the arcade below as well as everything Catalina has to offer. The front desk personnel were sweet to ask us about the status of our cat that was in the ER back in California. They even remembered his name. My daughter, I and our friends had a memorable experience and would definitely return to Hotel Metropole as well as recommend to all. Our cat is doing fine now and we're happy Hotel Metropole eased our worried souls while we were there.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Metropole for a quick weekend escape from LA. The location was ideal, right at the beach and in the heart of town. We really enjoyed our room and the overall hotel design. The staff had great ideas for things to do around Catalina. Definitely one of the best boutique hotels in California.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ThomasMilter
Reviewed 1 July 2013

There are no chain hotels in Avalon, but I think this is one of the best boutique "mom and pop" owned hotels on the island. I don't have low standards, but I've been to Avalon many times and and you're just not going to get the "wow" 5-star treatment anywhere in Avalon, period. You will find the same at most of the restaurants as well. They are catering to tourists. Repeat business is minimal, so there isn't the incentive to go over the top with service. They will probably never see the customer again either way.

We stayed on a Monday night in June 2013 and paid $199/night. We were in Room 213 which is on the main floor just down from the front desk. I was a little concerned that it would be too noisy that close to the front desk but it was fine. It has no ocean view which I knew when I booked it. The view was actually just of the wall next to the hotel with some plants and lattice to spruce it up a little. The room was just as expected - king bed was comfortable, bathroom was clean and the room was tastefully and minimally decorated with a small bistro table and a big flatscreen TV with some cable channels, no mini fridge. Beach towels are available from the front desk. They will hold your luggage if you arrive before the check-in. Overall, the room was comparable to what you might find at any moderately priced hotel chain. Nothing too fancy, but it gets the job done and was just fine for us. They did come in to freshen up the towels and turn down the bed while we were at dinner.

The hotel is on the far end of town (far meaning the side nearer the casino, the opposite end from the main boat landing) and the entrance was about a half block removed from the water front. Some might prefer something more centrally located, but Avalon really isn't that big and I think the location actually makes it a little more quieter than the hotels directly on Crescent Street and the waterfront. Everything in town was within a 5 minute walk. There is a mini-beach and swimming area right in front of the hotel which is quieter and less crowded than the larger beach area next to the green pier.

A staff person directed us to 4 for the ice machine, but on our way we saw the sign said it was on 3. Turns out the one on 3 is broken, but the one on 4 worked. They have a tiny jacuzzi and small deck area on the 4th floor as well. It's a little cramped so I would skip it unless you don't mind being in close quarters with strangers who might join you up there. During check in we were told the hotel offers continental breakfast until 10am, but we slept in and missed it so I can't say if it's any good. But I do think that speaks well of the bed!

Restaurants
Try Antonio's for pizza and Big Olaf's for ice cream. Coney Island West is good for burgers and hot dogs. Also a great coffee shop (looks like it's popular with the locals) at the back of the El Encanto Marketplace (aka "The Landing"). All are within half a block from the hotel. Steve's Steakhouse is great with meals in the $25-30 range and been there awhile, but there were two new upscale restaurants that recently opened that we didn't try - Avalon Grill and Bluewater which were $30 range. CC Gallagher has great coffee and espresso drinks also. Try the Catalina Night or Island Joy.

Activities
Glass bottom boat is good for the price and I would take that over the semi-submarine Nautilus which is 2x the price but not worth the extra cost for a penny pincher like me. Zip line was $120/person and the Segway tours were $75/person. I know people who have done the bus tour of the interior of the island through Catalina Adventure Tours and enjoyed it. We signed up for snorkeling in Lover's Cove for $40/person through the snorkel/scuba shop just across from the basketball courts. The instructor was great and so was the snorkeling.

Room Tip: Room 213 is main floor, no view. The big suites are above the street which could get a little noisy...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple