“Touch of Heaven in the house!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Porterville, California
“Touch of Heaven in the house!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Excellent place to stay that is located in the Metropole shopping center. We always go out for an overnight trip and book a 90min couples massage at "Touch Of Heaven" spa located inside the hotel. A short cruise out at noon on Catalina Express, check in, have a few drinks, go get a massage, head for dinner at Steve's Steak House and have some more drinks. Perfect 1 day getaway. Oh,,, did I say drinks??

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mestisoboy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Poulsbo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed in a Deluxe room recently after a horrible experience elsewhere on the island. They were very accomadating at my last minute reservation, and offered 15% off the room! We were in room 211.

Now, it's very possible we were offered a discount because of the room itself. It's a cell phone and wi-fi black hole. I was planning to work for part of the day, but found that the very spotty wifi got less than 2 bars in the room on my laptop (my phone, a samsung Galaxy 4, and my friends iphone 5 got no reception at all). I called the front desk and they said they would call tech support and have someone fix it. So we left the room for a while and came back. Still no wifi. I asked in the morning and they didn't need to check if someone had been out to reset the routers... no one had. So I'm guessing they knew this room was blackhole, hence the discount. They did have a house computer plugged in upstairs that they offered (however I can't do business on another computer aside from my lap top for privacy reasons).

Lack of Wi-fi aside (that could be a perk for those looking to unplug), it was a good experience! The front desk was helpful and professional. Their rooms are ready at 1:30, instead of the industry standard 3-3:30pm.

The products they offered in the rooms were good and everything was clean and comfortable. The patio was great, tucked in a corner, and felt completely private. It was quiet, despite being located right above a small shopping center with entertainment (bowling, arcade, etc).

The morning breakfast was basic, but sufficient (cereal, fruit, oatmeal, coffee, tea, juice, and a few mass marketed pastries), though it's intended for you to bring it back to your room as there are no tables at all, and very limited lobby seating.

They can SAFELY store your luggage, and the location was perfect.

Aside from the carpets needing some good deep cleaning, everything was good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank J H
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

our hotel room was incredible! This is by far the best hotel on Catalina Island. Its the farthest down which is awesome but still around all the shops and stuff. I love the location. I love the HUGE bath tub in the room and our balcony and fireplace~! All so lovely and romantic and amazing. Best EVER!!!!!! Will always stay at this hotel! The roof top spa was always filled with people and its VERY SMALL fits 4 people. Also the continental breakfast is a tiny baby,, hardly no food.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
El Cajon, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Our family of 4 stayed in the Superior Room and amazed at the view and over value. Clean, very comfortable beds and great breakfast in the morning. Great value and the view from the room was amazing.

The front desk needs help with sharing the best places to go and the little things. My wife wanted to work out and told there was no gym. But of course, downstairs was a cycling class for FREE if you stay at the hotel and never mentioned.

Close to beach and the place was like no other

Room Tip: Rooms 303-308 are two beds for family with balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was my first visit to Catalina Island and I was traveling with a native Californian so wanted to have an amazing experience. The hotel is in an excellent location - overlooking the water but with the main street between. The room was a suite which was actually in a separate portion of the hotel - entered by walking through a shopping area or from the main street. There is no gym in the hotel so you athletic addicts beware!! Also for the safety conscious - no in-room safes either!! No pool either!! The service was mixed - one day we literally though we had entered a different dimension while at the front desk - perhaps it was the inexperience of the staff. The street was also loud which actually precluded sleeping with the windows open and the need for the anemic air conditioning! Overall it was a mixed adventure!

Room Tip: Perhaps stay on the backside away from the street
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Charles R
Aliso Viejo, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stay here every year for the Catalina Marathon with my family. Staff made a large effort to be friendly and made my stay very enjoyable. My room had high ceilings and a nice balcony that overlooked the ocean. Never had trouble sleeping even though I was the one who had to sleep on the roll away bed and didn't hear any noise. Also love the little breakfast bar downstairs that had cereal, toast, bagels, and coffee. Was very close to the center of Avalon and had many places that I could enjoy a good lunch and dinner. My favorite part was the rooftop hot tub that had an amazing view of the ocean and was very enjoyable during the night.

Try this hotel and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd Floor. They are the ones that have balconies that overlook the ocean. The othe...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jack M
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Sorry I did not leave a review sooner. We actually visited Hotel Metropole for 3 days starting March 31, 2013. My daughter wanted to go back to Catalina to celebrate her birthday with friends. We got an amazing deal for my daughter's 13th birthday. Free boat ride as well as 30% off our stay. Sadly we were off to a bad start. My daughter's cat needed to go to the ER at 11:30pm the night before the boat would depart. We left him in the care of my mother and the ER, not knowing the bill, prognosis, or if he would survive. Not a great way to start a teenagers birthday, but we had many friends joining us in Catalina and couldn't back out last minute. Frazzled, walking into the hotel, the staff overheard me talking to my mother regarding cost and prognosis of the cat, the staff was patient and made us feel at ease. They did not disappoint and upgraded us to a larger room at no cost. All staff was courteous, friendly, knowledgeable and available when needed. Room was modern, clean and a great size and in working order. Beds were nice and comfortable. Roof top Jacuzzi was relaxing and the complimentary continental breakfast was great for two teens in tow. The hotel was perfect walking distance from everything in town. The teens loved the arcade below as well as everything Catalina has to offer. The front desk personnel were sweet to ask us about the status of our cat that was in the ER back in California. They even remembered his name. My daughter, I and our friends had a memorable experience and would definitely return to Hotel Metropole as well as recommend to all. Our cat is doing fine now and we're happy Hotel Metropole eased our worried souls while we were there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family