“Great location but not so great quality...”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Los Angeles, California
“Great location but not so great quality...”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We traveled to Catalina to celebrate my wife's birthday. Prior to arrival we searched online for the best overall hotel based on location, price, quality and guest reviews. We chose Metropole as our hotel.
The exterior is actually not bad and has a nice look to it. The front interior lobby is small and basic. Front lobby staff are pretty friendly and efficient regarding checking in and checking out. Upon our first visit to our room, we were disappointed. The room was very "sad". What I mean by that is it has no personality/character. The room is very basic and aged. I'm not sure what other rooms look like but our room was not very maintained right. The carpet needs to be replaced, the sink was clogged and water would fill up the bowl, the toilet would "run" for several minutes after a flush, the shower door frame has tons of rust and mildew, the shower head is beat up and has mildew. The room had no iron which is so unusual in any hotel. I had to ask the front desk to have a staff member bring one up. Bed isn't so comfortable and pillows suck. The TV had static no matter what channel we turned to. We were on the third floor out of four. Throughout our stay we had to listen to foot steps above us which was extremely annoying.

Basically, our stay at the Metropole was very disappointing. As of right now, we have no reason to stay at the Metropole the next time we visit Catalina. We have stayed at "Hotel Del Mar" before and plan on staying there in the future. Hotel Del Mar is literally beautiful and we had no complaints. The owners of a Metropole should get some renovating ideas from the owners of Hotel Del Mar.

Besides, our negative experience at Metropole, we had a great time in Catalina! My recommendation is to stay at Hotel Del Mar and pass on Metropole.

Room Tip: Might want to spend the money on a suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JDaniel2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
California Cilty
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Location, Location, Location! This is the perfect Place to stay if you are visiting Catalina! It is upgraded to 4-5 star status overlooks everything. I have stayed at many hotels on Catalina but this by far is the only place I will ever stay again if I have anything to do with it! I did stay in a VIP Suite facing the water and the main street. The Décor was great there is nothing bad I can say about the place. I loved the fireplace even though it was summer it took the morning chill off the room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sun Valley, Idaho, USA
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Gorgeous room, quite pricey. Busy summer season, and front desk personnel not too friendly or helpful. In town for a wedding, and they were not accommodating at all to help us get the matron of honor a room in time to dress for the wedding.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan C
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in a small shopping center with coffee shops, arcade/ mini bowling alley, and retail shops. My husband and I went to Catalina for our honeymoon and we were able to book this hotel last minute. We went to Catalina on a Sunday and returned home on a Tuesday. We stayed in room 301 which has its own balcony right above the shopping area. I personally loved this because I like seeing all the action on the street below. Beware though, a golf cart rental station is right across the street and can get very noisy with the sliding door open. Once the door is closed the room gets pretty quiet. The room itself was really nice with a fire place and jet bath tub. The staff was always friendly and brought us a free bottle of champagne on our first night. The hotel is also located on the main street in Catalina. This made it very easy to walk up and down to where ever my husband and I wanted to go. We did not however eat the free breakfast. We were in vacation mode and went out to breakfast each morning. Overall this is a great hotel to stay at.

• Stayed September 2013
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We were in room 320 which has a balcony and full ocean view. We paid $599 per night..so if you can get it cheaper it is a deal. The hotel is close to the action and beach. The morning continental breakfast was good and hotel staff were great. We strolled around town geocaching which took us to unique looking locations. All within walking distance from our hotel. We will be returning.

Room Tip: Room 320 if you can afford it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trails4GMZ
Colorado USA
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed 5 nights at Hotel Metropole and was happy that I did. The location is close enough to everything to be very convenient, yet slightly away from the main avenue so it's quieter than many of the other places of lodging. My room overlooked the courtyard and had a very private balcony that was very nice for having my morning coffee. The staff was very helpful and very friendly. Anytime I needed anything they were there! The free continental breakfast is a great place to meet other folks staying at the hotel property. The Hotel Metropole also has an elevator! This may not seem like a big thing, but many of these buildings were built long ago and didn't have elevators. The Metropole has one! I'll gladly stay at the Hotel Metropole the next time I go to Catalina Island.

Room Tip: A great place that's well worth the money.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Paradise CA.
Reviewed 28 September 2013

If you are in that age bracket that appreciates a quality place with a hint of artsie character and delivers on the romantic side, then this is the place. An upper mid priced hotel that has a cool San Fran type feel to it with typical laid back and helpful Island Homie staff. It is a bit pricey however you get what you pay for. I especially like the drive thru entry for quick in and out with your golf cart or luggage drop off. Very nice atmosphere here and close to everything.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms are few and cost more but worth it!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family