“4 minute walk to beach but far enough to avoid crowds and excess noise”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Francisco
“4 minute walk to beach but far enough to avoid crowds and excess noise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

Perfect location, pricey but private. Continental breakfast was convenient, single two slot toaster is a bottle neck for those wishing a toasted bagel.

The staff needs to smile more and make better eye contact.

The AC in the room was a life saver the first couple of days were very warm.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank asifish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Scottsdale,Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

The Hotel Metropole was very. It is located in the center of town and for the price was a very decent stay. The rooms were very clean and had all of the amenities of a large hotel. Catalina Island is a very nice place for a relaxing getaway. We also would recommend a snorkel/island boat tour with Catalina Ocean Rafting and Catalina Segway tours.
Steve's Steakouse was awesome and the drinks/nightlife at Luau Larry's was alot of fun!!!! Overall a great time!!!!!

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BBJG
central coastal california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

We have been out to Catalina numerous times and decided to splurge for a room at the Hotel Metropole - it was a splurge but worth it. We stayed in Rm. 320, which was recently remodeled - and WOW - spacious, the largest room I've stayed in - modern, clean, wonderful bed and linens, great balcony overlooking the harbor - even fresh flowers. I could go on and on with how pampered we felt. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Hotel kept clean all around. They worked very hard. My only complaint might be about the continental breakfast - it could be a little more expansive, maybe some fresh fruit. But that does not detract from the luxury of the room. We are starting to save $$$ so we can return next year.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cma123
Everywhere
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

My new wife and I spent our honeymoon on Catalina, staying at the Metropole. Having stayed there years ago, I knew it was one of the more modern places on the island...but was completely taken aback by how sweet the new SUITES were! We immediately upgraded our basic room (still very nice) to room 320. The room was stellar and the service was great. I will NEVER stay anywhere else. For pix of the views you can visit the fan site for Lydia Brownfield at lydiabrownfield.blogspot.com. The 2 person jacuzzi tub was great, as was the bed and fireplace. The bed was especially nice, and put to good use since that will be the last time I ever see her nude again! haha...

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

Although parts of Catalina were charming, this is clearly a destination that can be viewed and appreciated with a one day ferry excursion - SAVE YOUR MONEY. For $600+night for the VIP suite we stayed in (no pool! no offerings of spa services!), you should expend your money elsewhere with a better result. The room online was touted as the best accomodations available on Catalina, one would expect exceptional services and amenities for a hotel in the respective price ranges of a 5+star resort on any mainland or tropical paradise. We made a point to book the best room on the island to experience what we had expected to be a trip of a lifetime. The hotel staff when I booked with them made no arrangements or advisement of travelers on what to expect when they reach Catalina. There is no greeting at the docks, no transportation services provided, YOU schlep your bags from the ship to the hotel which is not a far distance( WITHIN 1/4 MILE COULD BE DIFFICULT FOR ELDERLY INDIVIDUALS), but with young children, any assistance would prove helpful. This is not like arriving in St. Thomas or the carribean where hospitality should start at the hotel itself. For the limited amount of tourism this island receives, they should do their best to provide exceptional service to the passengers from the time they reach the island with their overinflated transportation costs ($80-100 approx) to a destination that is barely memorable. With regard to Metropole - When you finally reach the street/plaza the hotel is situated on, unless you are familiar with the island, due to the poor markings for the front office, I end up going through the back entrance//alleyways/elevators of the hotel which are seedy at best. Had they offered better markings from the street, I would have entered from the main lobby which would have given a better first impression. My first impression of the hotel was a freight elevator up to the small reception desk that was abandoned. The inexperienced, casually attired, office person/concierge/general manager/maybe owner of the hotel greeted me and my young child to accept our exceptionally over inflated room reservation. The concierge/front desk/maid/bellman/ individuals were clearly stretched on experience levels and training for the perceived hotel services/website offerings/website status of the establishment we were staying in. NO PROFESSIONALISM NO APOLOGIES offered. During our two night stay, there was virtually no help with luggage or suggestions on what to do or where to go. But, when you arrive it is clear that there are no options that you have not concidered on your own by seeing them by passing by already in your daily travels. All I can say is dont get your hopes up, expect little to no service, and stay on a campground and you will achieve what is rightfully due Catalina. Pretty countryside, no couture. Shopping is limited to tshirts and shells with island themes. There are some jewelry stores that carry fine arts of local mainland artists. I wasn't able to find any "Catalina" artisans that were represented in any of the local shops. One of the highlights was meeting the owner of the local yarn shop that introduced me to bead integration in knitting. I am working on a project that I started there. The highlight was really the boat trip coming over and the view from the boat on to the island. Very impressive with lush mountainous terrains and views. I would recommend saving your money on a hotel and renting the golf cart which we did, viewing the Wrigley Monument and heading back to Santa Monica for a lovely dinner on Montana - (R&D Grill is amazing!)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank caliwithkids
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

Went here about two years ago. I was very impressed. I vacation at a lot of mega-resorts in Vegas and I am used to a very modern and clean standard. I always get squirrely about visiting a new place, because of the luxury of Vegas. This place did not disappoint! It's a tiny little building, right off the main 'strip' in Avalon. (Closer to the Casino than the dock.) They have 3 stories of rooms. Ours was a partial ocean view on the 3rd floor. We pretty much had a full view, it just wasn't head on. (Think look to your right on the balcony.) The room was very clean and well maintained. Some of the stuff in the room (TV, minibar) were a bit dated. Who cares? They worked. The room was bright and pleasant, with a island/beach/ocean theme that fits in well... on an island. They had a tiny little pool, which was nice. The hotel was very quiet and relaxing. The whole vibe worked well. The staff were decent enough. They didn't seem really thrilled to be working, but weren't unpleasant. I get the feeling that the people on the island do things at a different pace, altogether. They seemed confused when I tried to tip the bell boy for bringing our bags. They have a 'continental' breakfast that is pretty meager by my standards. But I eat like a hog. It was just kind of akward more than anything. I'd avoid it unless you want to stand in a tiny area eating a banana with a stranger. Just not my cup of tea. I had the maid bust in on me in the bathroom, but she was polite about it, so no harm no foul. The floor plans are kind of funny. Because it's so small, they make use of every nook and cranny. Nothing wrong with that, but they certainly are unique rooms, to say the least. Anyway, I'd highly recommend this place. I am going to return soon, myself.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
Chula Vista, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

Came here with my boyfriend to celebrate my birthday. The hotel is beautiful. We had an end room, he up graded, with a fireplace. The jacuzzi on the 4th floor has a beautiful view of the harbor. Continental breakfast came with juice, coffee, cocoa, hot and cold cereals, bagels, and danish. (I read about other hotels skimpy continental breakfasts) The staff were all very nice. They held our luggage while we kayaked after check out- we came back later and soaked in the jacuzzi. They said they were 50% booked but it was very quiet. Very romantic. It is close in proximity to walking everywhere to shops and restaurants. (We brought our bikes and locked them up right outside the hotels bikerack) We had a great weekend! Ps: Not sure about the value as he paid :)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple